Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini Cooper S: An oil guzzling pig?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 12:18 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mini Cooper S: An oil guzzling pig?

A good friend of mine has a Mini Cooper S, bought the car new. It is not a daily driver, but a weekend "fun" car. The car has 30K miles and the engine is DONE.
Apparently, there is a rod knock- Mini is saying it is due to lack of oil.

Mini "owns" the service on these cars while they are under warranty. They use synthetic oil.
The first oil change is recommended at 10K miles. This was done by his local dealer.
The next interval is at 30K miles. My friend was concerned about the amount of TIME between the intervals, as it has been about 18 months sice his prior service.

He called his local dealer to schedule a service appointment. He was asked "is the indicator asking for service yet?" NO. "We won't touch the car until the service indicator tells us to."

The car sat for a week or two. My friend decides to take it out and put a few miles on it- to get the service indicator light to come on. He notices a slight 'growling' noise from the engine. Knowing that these cars have had a history of crank pulley issues, he figures this is the problem and again calls the dealer to schedule service. They ask the question again. The answer is still "no, but I am concerned, and I am bringing it in."

Half way to the dealership the growl turns into (as he described it) "a hell of a racket." Pulls over, calls Mini Roadside Assistance. Car is towed to the dealer. Dealer calls after a few days and says "rod knock, not under warranty due to low oil, that will be $2750 to take it apart and find out what went wrong!" By the way, the car took three quarts of oil to "show" at LOW on the dipstick.

My friend is now "speaking" with Mini Morth America, but they have basically blown him off.
Nice way to win yourself a future BMW owner...

My question for you, my Lexus faithful, is where did all that oil go? The car never smoked... never leaked. In my mind, everything points to a bad piston ring or valve guide.

Are we out of line to believe this is a warranty issue?

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Old 07-21-05, 12:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supercharged and turbo-charged cars tend to guzzle oil...

i'm not sure how much pressure the Mini supercharger musters...but in general blown engines burn oil faster.
Old 07-21-05, 12:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear what happened to your friend. Mini S is such a fun car.

anyway, I have an Acura RSX, and i never had any service records with Acura. I changed oil by myself because i hate paying 60$ for junk oil that they give me. Anyhow, my engine blown up at 28K miles and Acura replaced me a brand new engine with no question asked. (it was about 9K to replace the whole engine but coverd under warranty.)

Your friend should fight for it. i believe it's their fault and they should replaced the new engine for free. it's just BS to pay 3K just to take it apart and look at it.
Old 07-21-05, 01:09 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171572

Tell your friend to argue his way to a new engine. MINI is being obnoxious and completely superceding any authority given to that so called "warranty."

Take a look at the bottom of that list, haha here it is again:
Attached Thumbnails Mini Cooper S: An oil guzzling pig?-2005092a.gif  
Old 07-21-05, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow this is unreal, bob.... i think he should get an attorney. he talked to them before, how could they deny the warranty on his car man.......

sorry i don't know much about the oil situation, but this case just makes me mad.....