Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .

Old 09-13-05, 01:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
*Awaits flame from flipside*
Please stop baiting, MPLexus301 . That is not needed.
Old 09-13-05, 01:49 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised that the Camry V6 will get the 6 speed auto, while the Avalon gets the 5 speed.
Old 09-13-05, 02:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The Camry will be larger in all dimensions than its predecessor....
Hard to tell from the shots unless you are talking about the dimensions of the tape. I like more room as much as anybody but I hope this is marketing speak. The current Camry is not exactly small in every dimension. Every time I pull up behind one of them I am impressed with just how big a Camry is now. So does the ES get redone on the same time frame as the Camry?
Old 09-13-05, 03:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I'm surprised that the Camry V6 will get the 6 speed auto, while the Avalon gets the 5 speed.
Yeah that probably means the 2GR that the Camry is getting will be sharing a similar 6spd Auto that the IS350 already has.

Lets hope Toyota fixes that and switches out the 5 speed Auto in favor of the 6 speed when the new Camry comes out. I would reject the idea that the flagship car has lesser features than it's lower level brother.
Old 09-13-05, 03:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah that probably means the 2GR that the Camry is getting will be sharing a similar 6spd Auto that the IS350 already has.

Lets hope Toyota fixes that and switches out the 5 speed Auto in favor of the 6 speed when the new Camry comes out. I would reject the idea that the flagship car has lesser features than it's lower level brother.
I was under the impression that only the V6 SE would be getting the 6-speed auto. The other V6 models(LE, XLE, etc) would stick with the 5-speed. Considering that Toyota isnt(and will probably never) making a manual for there V6 engines, the least they can do is add a 6-speed automatic to somewhat counteract the lack of a manual. A short ratio 6-speed autoamtic is more Toyota's speed.

They did say the Camry is more or less going to be a sportier version of the Avalon(actually it was speculation and rumor). We shall see.
Old 09-13-05, 03:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Funny they put a " H " in front
I know i saw that to and laughed.. Thats pretty funny... But I'm sure people may beleive its a Honda LOL

Tony
Old 09-13-05, 03:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by magneto112
I was under the impression that only the V6 SE would be getting the 6-speed auto. The other V6 models(LE, XLE, etc) would stick with the 5-speed. Considering that Toyota isnt(and will probably never) making a manual for there V6 engines, the least they can do is add a 6-speed automatic to somewhat counteract the lack of a manual. A short ratio 6-speed autoamtic is more Toyota's speed.

They did say the Camry is more or less going to be a sportier version of the Avalon(actually it was speculation and rumor). We shall see.
I agree with you. From a rumor I heard, they were going to drop the Solara line and just focus with the basic Camry platform. It would be feasible to leave the higher geared tranny to the sportier or more upscale model. Just like they did with giving the 5spd auto 3.3L 3MZ-FE to the SE V6 model only and leaving the 3.0L 1MZ-FE V6 to the others.

They did the right thing with my MCV20 99 Solara SE V6 Manual (rare) but I have no idea why Toyota couldn't keep it up.
Old 09-13-05, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

As I promised a few months ago, I won't post my usual tirades about the unnecessary tape and bras masking the car.........and anyway, I'm happy that with THIS new Camry, it is obvious even with the masking that the new headlights don't have that awful way-back-up-the-hood sweep that the last Camry and its brother ES330 did. That alone is a big improvement.
Old 09-13-05, 03:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you. From a rumor I heard, they were going to drop the Solara line and just focus with the basic Camry platform. It would be feasible to leave the higher geared tranny to the sportier or more upscale model. Just like they did with giving the 5spd auto 3.3L 3MZ-FE to the SE V6 model only and leaving the 3.0L 1MZ-FE V6 to the others.

They did the right thing with my MCV20 99 Solara SE V6 Manual (rare) but I have no idea why Toyota couldn't keep it up.
Geeez... Toyota dropping the last sporty car they have in the lineup...how surprising... (I hope it's just a rumor as you said, flip.)

They'd better whip out that next Supra fast or their brand image is gonna be right there with Buick.
Old 09-13-05, 03:42 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I promised a few months ago, I won't post my usual tirades about the unnecessary tape and bras masking the car.........and anyway, I'm happy that with THIS new Camry, it is obvious even with the masking that the new headlights don't have that awful way-back-up-the-hood sweep that the last Camry and its brother ES330 did. That alone is a big improvement.
Yeah, good to know it's been toned down at least. Too bad the headlights are said to be the only design element to be carried over to the next ES according to quite a few different sources. It's simply way overdone, and is about the only complaint I have for my car besides the tranny issue.
Old 09-13-05, 04:19 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The very poorly hid rumor is that Toyota moves to Nascar in 2007, most likely with Michael Waltrip. Daryl is heavily involved with Toyota and ran the Toyota trucks and since that is a Nascar car underneath a truck skin, it is pretty much sorted out to move to Nextel Cup. And the model that Toyota will use in Nascar? Solara is what I have heard. If that is true, don't count on the Solara going away anytime soon.
Old 09-13-05, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

why would toyota drop solara? recently redesigned, it will be fine for next 3-4 years at least. only reason toyota dropped manual from solara was that nobody bought it (and thats why used ones are rare).

i always find it funny how there are so many rumours about toyota dropping models (last one was rav4, which made no sense at all)...
Old 09-13-05, 04:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by RON430
The very poorly hid rumor is that Toyota moves to Nascar in 2007, most likely with Michael Waltrip. Daryl is heavily involved with Toyota and ran the Toyota trucks and since that is a Nascar car underneath a truck skin, it is pretty much sorted out to move to Nextel Cup. And the model that Toyota will use in Nascar? Solara is what I have heard. If that is true, don't count on the Solara going away anytime soon.
Like I said it was a rumor I heard. It's not true fact. But considering the Solara is not Toyota's great seller despite the fact it's tabulated under the sales numbers as a Camry, it's popularity is minimal unfortunately...even despite the fact they used the latest 2nd generation as Toyota Pace Cars again. Most likely, Toyota would use the Camry as a platform in NASCAR if they will cancel the Solara after it's 5th production year of 2007. The 2nd Gen Solara was introduced in 2002 as a 2003 model and is a North American made model only.
Old 09-13-05, 05:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would toyota drop solara? recently redesigned, it will be fine for next 3-4 years at least. only reason toyota dropped manual from solara was that nobody bought it (and thats why used ones are rare).

i always find it funny how there are so many rumours about toyota dropping models (last one was rav4, which made no sense at all)...
The Camry Solara is in it's 3rd year of production of a regular 5 year Toyota model year run. True no one bought the Solara SE V6 5spd just like the 5spd Manual version of the Camry CE then later LE. What I heard is only a rumor but anything is possible at this point. I feel the latest generation Solara isn't selling to what Toyota feels it should. I'm not a big fan of the 2nd Gen but many may say otherwise. I still prefer my 1st Gen Solara SE V6 Manual for obvious reasons. But I prefer driving my IS300 which is alot more fun to drive. That's the biggest reason why my Solara sits at home 99% of the time.

I agree with you. Toyota paved the way for that market and would be a bad move on their part to cut the Rav4 off. It's been a good seller ever since it was introduced in 1995.

As for Toyota cutting models...remember the lackluster Tercel derived Paseo? That didn't last more than 2 generations.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-13-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 05:14 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said it was a rumor I heard. It's not true fact. But considering the Solara is not Toyota's great seller despite the fact it's tabulated under the sales numbers as a Camry, it's popularity is minimal unfortunately...even despite the fact they used the latest 2nd generation as Toyota Pace Cars again. Most likely, Toyota would use the Camry as a platform in NASCAR if they will cancel the Solara after it's 5th production year of 2007. The 2nd Gen Solara was introduced in 2002 as a 2003 model and is a North American made model only.
Duelling rumors. Who knows which ones are true? I had first heard about the Solara being the vehicle name on the Toyota Nascar entry but I guess it could be Camry. Then again, as hard as Ford has making a connection between the Taurus or Fusion sales and racing, Toyota might have a harder time convincing anyone to buy a Camry because of its performance in Nascar. For the present, Solara is as sporty as Toyota gets. And putting a Solara decal on a Nascar body would be nice, just being a two door decal would stand out. And I don't know how this will be taken but I have to admit that the current Solara is a pretty good looking car. I am an ex E type owner and there aren't many convertibles that look good with the top down. Solara isn't bad. It's no E type but it's attractive.

I don't follow this very closely but I think Nascar is set to approve the Toyota template in January so we don't have long to wait to see how the rumor mill is grinding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .