Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 08:57 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good! I take it the people at Toyota didnt like the current design as much either. This was a fast change.
Old 07-20-05, 09:56 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Celicamaro
No matter how nice Camry has become, by the time it comes out, people will have call it bland and boring. Why? Cuz that's just the way those folks are.

Personally, I'm already disappointed with the look. The cars getting bigger, but the dam wheel/tire still remain small and skinny. I don't mind skinny too much, I do mind the fact that they're so tucked in and makes the car look weak and feminine(no offense to masculine chicks). No matter how good a design maybe, when the wheels aren't push closer to the fenders, it just don't look right(NSX is an example). I realize that Toyota is leaving rooms for people to put tire chains on them, but who the heck does that anymore nowadays? That mindset is so 70ish when RWD was all that the public had to choose from. Today, many people don't even know how to check their oil, the concept of putting tirechain on to gain some traction would not have occur in most Camry buyers mind especially when there are so many capable and refine SUVs to choose from. Are chains even necessary anymore since FWD has gotten so good? Anyone living in remote areas that requires chains most likely wouldn't be driving a camry anyway. SO come on Toyota, where's the wide stance and TL like flared fenders we saw in those fuzzy picts?

BTW...What are all those asian people doing in that test car? This is an american car, built for americans.

the wheels are like that because the majority of the american drivers need as much protection from themselves as they do w/ others. to have it flush to the fender is just asking for trouble. Let's not talk about the peole that are enthusiasts here...we're talking about people that dont know any better, the people that pull up in a parking stall till their tires hit the curb or the bump stop. that's why we dont have low cars or aggressive wheels etc because people will complain about why their tires are wearing out or is exhibiting some sort of behavior that is not normal to them. I hope you're getting my drift because it hink i'm rambling.
Old 07-20-05, 09:57 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

BTW...What are all those asian people doing in that test car? This is an american car, built for americans.
Yep, only whites should be allowed in test cars, because you know, Asians can't be Americans.
Old 07-20-05, 11:14 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by foofighter
be nice to get paid to drive prototype cars around...
no kidding...i would love to work for Toyota and see the new cars 2/3 years before anyone and be able to test it
Old 07-20-05, 11:44 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Why even bother covering up THAT much of the car...we all know it's just a copy and paste of other cars styling. Namely Europeans.
Old 07-21-05, 12:26 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I think Toyota stole that emblem from the Civic owner with the 750il badges

It looks decent...I like the new Avalons as well.
Old 07-21-05, 01:05 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Kaban
Why even bother covering up THAT much of the car...we all know it's just a copy and paste of other cars styling. Namely Europeans.
toyota with its time machine got the design of the newly released jetta
Old 07-21-05, 07:30 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Have you guys thought maybe remotely that the "H" other than to confuse people and mock honda .. probably means "HYBRID"
Old 07-21-05, 09:55 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
Yep, only whites should be allowed in test cars, because you know, Asians can't be Americans.
That's what Hollywood and mainstream media keeps telling us. You never see asians in commercial or playing lead roles(unless they're playing bad guys), it's like they don't exist in america. If you ain't black or white, you ain't an american, at least that's the impression I got from the media. So it's strange seeing asians in a test vehicle for once eventho Camry is an asian vehicle.
Old 07-21-05, 10:19 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

That's what Hollywood and mainstream media keeps telling us. You never see asians in commercial or playing lead roles(unless they're playing bad guys), it's like they don't exist in america. If you ain't black or white, you ain't an american, at least that's the impression I got from the media. So it's strange seeing asians in a test vehicle for once eventho Camry is an asian vehicle.
First of all this isn't Hollywood. Reality isn't Hollywood. Hasn't it occured to you that Toyota Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Sales USA employs people of all different backgrounds? Afterall, Toyota is an Asian company based in an Asian country. Why shouldn't there be Asians driving the car? The photos taken aren't a commercial. They're spy photos taken by a passer by. The Camry is a Japanese car that is both made in Japan and America. sure the Camry has been targeted to address an American audience but Americans can be white, black, asian or whatever. Maybe it didn't occur to you that these could be Japanese engineers visiting to test the car out? Afterall, the motor and chassis originated from a drawing board in Japan...and wouldn't be surprised that most of the mechanicals are manufactured in Japan.

I think your comments are way out of line and a little ignorant sometimes. You should be a little more aware of your surroundings and who you are trying to address. Can we please move the topic back to talking about the new upcoming Camry instead of nitpicking and stereotyping who's in the photos?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-05, 10:20 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by foofighter
the wheels are like that because the majority of the american drivers need as much protection from themselves as they do w/ others. to have it flush to the fender is just asking for trouble. Let's not talk about the peole that are enthusiasts here...we're talking about people that dont know any better, the people that pull up in a parking stall till their tires hit the curb or the bump stop. that's why we dont have low cars or aggressive wheels etc because people will complain about why their tires are wearing out or is exhibiting some sort of behavior that is not normal to them. I hope you're getting my drift because it hink i'm rambling.
No you're not rambling, that's what I figure Toyota was trying to do also. They'll do anything to stop us from being stupid and turning around and sueing them in the process. But I think they should give us more credit, if forced or given the opportunity, people can adapt since size is relative. Everytime one gets into a different vehicle(new or old) one is forced to adapt. For example, if the wheels are flush with the fenders so americas automotive landscape would look much better and the average joes and fat jane finds they are scraping the wheels too much or too early. Surely they can learn to adapt by not parking so close to the curb the next time? I think that's much easier to adapt than learning to properly use anti-lock breaking in emergency situations. Even an enthusiast like me still has a tough time keeping that in mind cuz I don't find myself needing to use anti-lock everyday.

If manufacturors like Merc and Toyota are willing to invest millions in building brake assist to help people properly use the technology, making cheap donut wheels with better offsets for camries and corrolas can't be that difficult or that much more expensive. By having a wider stance, not only will vehicle look way cooler, it's stability also increases and thereby is much safer for the average folks. It's a win win situation. Putting an aggressive body kit on a Corolla(current model) and not doing anything to the stock wheels/tire is just not right. Not only that, the kit has no benefit to the customers, I think it might actually increases it's risk of curb damage since vehicle is now lower and wider with no wider wheels/tire to protect it. Makes me wonder what's going on in those Toyota marketing peoples head.
Old 07-21-05, 10:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

No you're not rambling, that's what I figure Toyota was trying to do also. They'll do anything to stop us from being stupid and turning around and sueing them in the process. But I think they should give us more credit, if forced or given the opportunity, people can adapt since size is relative. Everytime one gets into a different vehicle(new or old) one is forced to adapt. For example, if the wheels are flush with the fenders so americas automotive landscape would look much better and the average joes and fat jane finds they are scraping the wheels too much or too early. Surely they can learn to adapt by not parking so close to the curb the next time? I think that's much easier to adapt than learning to properly use anti-lock breaking in emergency situations. Even an enthusiast like me still has a tough time keeping that in mind cuz I don't find myself needing to use anti-lock everyday.

If manufacturors like Merc and Toyota are willing to invest millions in building brake assist to help people properly use the technology, making cheap donut wheels with better offsets for camries and corrolas can't be that difficult or that much more expensive. By having a wider stance, not only will vehicle look way cooler, it's stability also increases and thereby is much safer for the average folks. It's a win win situation. Putting an aggressive body kit on a Corolla(current model) and not doing anything to the stock wheels/tire is just not right. Not only that, the kit has no benefit to the customers, I think it might actually increases it's risk of curb damage since vehicle is now lower and wider with no wider wheels/tire to protect it. Makes me wonder what's going on in those Toyota marketing peoples head.
I ask that you get back on topic of this thread. Take it to PM if you have something to talk about that's NOT pertinent or remotely pertinent to this whole thread.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-05, 11:01 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
First of all this isn't Hollywood. Reality isn't Hollywood. Hasn't it occured to you that Toyota Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Sales USA employs people of all different backgrounds? Afterall, Toyota is an Asian company based in an Asian country. Why shouldn't there be Asians driving the car? The photos taken aren't a commercial. They're spy photos taken by a passer by. The Camry is a Japanese car that is both made in Japan and America. sure the Camry has been targeted to address an American audience but Americans can be white, black, asian or whatever. Maybe it didn't occur to you that these could be Japanese engineers visiting to test the car out? Afterall, the motor and chassis originated from a drawing board in Japan...and wouldn't be surprised that most of the mechanicals are manufactured in Japan.

I think your comments are way out of line and a little ignorant sometimes. You should be a little more aware of your surroundings and who you are trying to address. Can we please move the topic back to talking about the new upcoming Camry instead of nitpicking and stereotyping who's in the photos?

Thanks.
Well I think you're comment is premature and out of line too. I hope you know that I'm already very well aware of what you're trying to say and I agree with them except for the "Hollywood is not reality part". That's why I say what I say. I know Toyota and many other makes employs people of all race. I was merely pointing out the facts that asians don't exist in american media, if they do, it is usually in a negative manner. That's reality, that is not ignorant. So it might seem strange to see asians holding a slightly more positive role like conducting test on americas favorite car since most americans get their daily infos about the world from mainstream media and hollywood. I know it's sad that many people view the world from Hollywoods and mainstream medias eyes, but that's reality. You'd be more correct if you'd said my comment was somewhat off topic, but race is always an issue when it comes to cars, they go hand to hand. People just don't like to point out things that I do. Take race away and most of the bitterness and argueing we find on the internet wouldn't be an issue. The term ricer or riceboy wouldn't even exist in the first place. I'm just keeping it REAL!!
Old 07-21-05, 11:05 AM
Celicamaro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
I ask that you get back on topic of this thread. Take it to PM if you have something to talk about that's NOT pertinent or remotely pertinent to this whole thread.

Thanks.
Talking about the wheels/tire not being flush with the fenders IS STAYING with the topic. We are commenting on this camries design. If you have issue with me, take it to PM then, cuz that's what it startin to sound like.
Old 07-21-05, 11:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I know Toyota and many other makes employs people of all race. I was merely pointing out the facts that asians don't exist in american media, if they do, it is usually in a negative manner.
Again until you brought up the idea, that whole topic had nothing to do with this whole thread in the first place. Please respect it. No one is trying to challenge you here, i've asked you several times to keep in on topic. Please keep this on topic before this gets locked.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: More New Camry Spy Photo's . . .