Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

so I drove a Celica GT-S 6 speed today

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 09:35 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so I drove a Celica GT-S 6 speed today

interesting little ride ... handles like a champ .. easy to get in and out of .. very responsive ... the only thing I didnt like is the gear box .. it feels twitchy and I couldnt really get a feel for it ... overall nice car for what it is .. how do you guys feel about it .. I was sort of contemplating getting one .. but im having second thoughts about it ... I think im just gonna save some more dough and get something I really like .. not a bad car though ... I also heard there the auto GT-S comes with up and down shift buttons on the steering is that true ? ...
Old 07-15-05, 09:40 PM
saleem
Pole Position

please move this sorry I posted in the wrong section .. im sleepy
Old 07-15-05, 10:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you are considering one I would have the engine carefully looked at because there were some issues with the engines in those cars. My cousin had the 5 speed GT and went through 2 engines within 2 and a half years. I felt pretty bad because I suggested he get a Honda or Toyota because they are usaully very reliable. When he got the new engine the first time their was someone there with the same problem and the mechanic said they had to replace a few engines. I don't know if it affected all those engines or just Celica engines but I would look into it. It was a nice car other then that with a pretty peppy engine and good handling characteristics.
Old 07-16-05, 01:19 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the GT engine and the GT-S engines are different.

GT-S engines have that high-rev engine that unleashes fully above 6200RPM (using secondary cam-shaft)
Old 07-16-05, 02:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
interesting little ride ... handles like a champ .. easy to get in and out of .. very responsive ... the only thing I didnt like is the gear box .. it feels twitchy and I couldnt really get a feel for it ... overall nice car for what it is .. how do you guys feel about it .. I was sort of contemplating getting one .. but im having second thoughts about it ... I think im just gonna save some more dough and get something I really like .. not a bad car though ... I also heard there the auto GT-S comes with up and down shift buttons on the steering is that true ? ...
Celica is an awesome car, and 2zz is an awesome engine. As to the gearbox, it is really nice, just needs few thousand miles to ease up... Auto box is too slow, get 6 speed if you like it enough...
Old 07-16-05, 08:07 AM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Here's my 2zz on the Matrix XRS. Same engine as the Celica GT-S and Lotus Elise.
Old 07-16-05, 01:42 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The Celica GT-S 6spd is nice, but if you're gettin a pre-owned ones, just watch out for the earlier models. I was researching about the car on the celica boards and people were complaining about how the 6spd shifting "gate" was spaced too close to each other. Some people would shift and miss the up gear and actually get the lower gear. Like going from 3rd to 4th, they'd miss the 4 and get into 2nd. Crazy
Old 07-16-05, 04:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06
The Celica GT-S 6spd is nice, but if you're gettin a pre-owned ones, just watch out for the earlier models. I was researching about the car on the celica boards and people were complaining about how the 6spd shifting "gate" was spaced too close to each other. Some people would shift and miss the up gear and actually get the lower gear. Like going from 3rd to 4th, they'd miss the 4 and get into 2nd. Crazy
actually no - most people that know Celica want those pre 2002 models that had the most natural shift gates and higher rpm limiter... unfortunatly not everyone knows how to drive stick, and mis-shifting at 8,400 RPM - bringing it up to almost 10,000 rpm does not do any good to the engine... Gearbox itself is perfectly fine...
Old 07-16-05, 05:57 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Thankyou for your response guys .. the one I drove was a 2001 its red ..with the cool red and grey bucket seats .. I thought pretty hard today .. this guy wants 12500 for it plus tax and plates .. I think im just gonna save my money and get something even more than that ...guess im just gonna hold on .. maybe a Twin Turbo supra or a new IS .. I have saved for over a year and Im gonna save some more and get the most for my money ...
Old 07-16-05, 09:43 PM
LexFather

It must be a good engine, Lotus uses it in the Elise, where its gotten mostly favorable reviews.

Old 07-16-05, 11:21 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It must be a good engine, Lotus uses it in the Elise, where its gotten mostly favorable reviews.

jeremy clarkson got all jittery happy driving the Exige with the toyota engine.
Old 07-17-05, 01:31 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Great little car in my opinion. If I didn't mind the thought of front wheel drive so much, I'd try to get one myself. My best friend has an 01 GT-S 6-speed, and she loves it. It's definitely one of the quickest little cars like that I've driven. I think the problem with the shifter is not the spacing so much as the orientation. While I was in Japan last month, I got the opportunity to sit in one (no driving sadly), and I ran through the gears, and from the right side, it feels completely natural, but when I drove my friends, it never did feel quite right. Everything's tilted too far to the right to shift from the left, but on the other hand, if it's a daily driver, it will eventually feel natural.
Old 07-17-05, 10:41 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
actually no - most people that know Celica want those pre 2002 models that had the most natural shift gates and higher rpm limiter... unfortunatly not everyone knows how to drive stick, and mis-shifting at 8,400 RPM - bringing it up to almost 10,000 rpm does not do any good to the engine... Gearbox itself is perfectly fine...
oic, seems like all of that reading was a waste of time.
Old 07-17-05, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want a new Celica, saleem, better hurry.......this is the last year for them, and for the MR2. In fact, they are probably already out of production now as the plants are shifting to their replacements, so it is a matter of just clearing off the lots.
This car DOES have somewhat of a record if engine failures but that is mostly from the young people that buy many of them racing, over-revving the engine, skip-shifts and missed shifts, and generally abusing them. Driven with a half-ounce of sense, it is a good engine....Lotus selected the DOHC version of it for its Elise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-05 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 01:47 PM
mikevogel
Pole Position

isnt the head desigined by yamaha?

Quick Reply: so I drove a Celica GT-S 6 speed today