Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hey guys let's talk some Nascar!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 07:09 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys let's talk some Nascar!

With only eight races until the chase, I want to know the following.

A.) Who's your favorite driver? Jeff Gordon for me.

B.) Who makes the chase?
1.jimmy johnson
2. tony stewart
3. greg biffle
4. rusty wallace
5. mark martin
6. elliott sadler
7. ryan newman
8. kurt bush
9. carl edwards
10. jeff gordon

I think Mcmurray and Mayfield fall from grace.

3.) Who wins the cup?

I think Jimmy Johnson finally gets the cup. Jimmy would be working on three in a row if the points system was like it was before the cup.
Old 07-11-05, 07:11 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

F1 > Rally > Kary > everything else > Nascar

but thats just my opinion, Nascar is the largest viewed outdoor sport in the U.S., but Formula 1 is the largest viewed sport in the world, period (yes even more than soccer).

But NASCAR > no racing.
Old 07-11-05, 07:28 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys let's talk some Nascar!
no.

just playin. but i really don't understand a sport where ALL you do is go around in an oval a few hundred times racing cars EXACTLY like yours... but ONLY when it is perfect outside. if there is any rain, snow, or ::eek:: a cloud comes overhead, they don't race. oh, and don't forget the perfectly smooth paved surface. now with rally racing, they race in and on everything. not only do they make turns, they do it very fast and show what true driving is about. i will never understand why people like nascar as opposed to rally racing, but it's very popular so obviously it's something you and others are a big fan of. i'll be happy as long as cars are racing to be honest, nascar or otherwise. i may not enjoy it, but i certainly wouldn't stand in the way of you or others.
Old 07-11-05, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Paging Dr. Rick

Old 07-11-05, 09:46 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a topic for a Mustang forum.
Old 07-11-05, 11:01 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's always been a lot of snobbery associated with the superiority of F1 and LM cars and teams over NASCAR, but look at the product. Perhaps the best run racing series in history has produced a racing formula that ensures close racing at 200+ mph on the superspeedways - and does so at relatively low cost and with a high level of safety for both drivers and fans.

Winning the Cup has often been called a simple matter of planting your right foot and turning left, but a full lap at WOT three abreast and nose to tail at Daytona is a skill that has not been mastered by the effete Eurosnobs that proclaim their superior skills and breeding. Negotiating an oval track at speed, not only is every turn a completely different experience, the racing groove typically moves, splits, converges, and sometimes comepletely goes away in the course of a single race. F1 drivers who have tested Cup cars come away with a whole new appreciation of the sport.

Perhaps it's the old good-ol'-boy image of redneck racing, but today there is a level of technology and sophistication that now accompanies the leading NASCAR teams that was not present only 20 years ago. The cars are purpose-built, they are no longer "stock" cars. The last stock component (the deck lid) disappeared several years ago. The competitive NEXTEL Cup car is about as sophisticated a racing machine - within the formula that dictates displacement, intake diameter, and pushrods - as can be found in an F1 paddock. Yes, it is brutal - these cars are all about torque. While the F1 racer shrieks, the Cup car thunders. Crashes are still more frequent than they should be, but it is the result of pressing the formula to the limit - and thankfully the requisite protective systems function well to limit if not eliminate injury.

Bill France built a powerful racing and sanctioning organization, and it has proven itself by attracting American fans like no other sport. I've always been a fan of racing anything with an internal combustion engine - cars, boats, and aircraft of all descriptions. Each has its own particular charm, but somehow NASCAR, like football, is the All-American sport.
Old 07-11-05, 11:38 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Jeff Gordon is absolutely my favorite because (most of the time) he is well-behaved and he is an amazing driver. The talent exudes from that man. My girlfriend likes Dale Jr., and although I think he's an awesome driver, he throws entirely too many hissy fits for my taste.

Hate to say it, but I think Jeff will miss the chase. He and his crew are in a serious MENTAL slump and their cars have been terrible as of late. Jr. will also miss the chase.

My guess is that Biffle or Stewart will win the cup, although I would like for it to be Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy is an excellent driver and he deserves his moment in the sun... Biffle is unstoppable and Stewart is now doing well even in non-plate races...

drink300
2003 Parch Ecru LS430 w/ Custom Lux
Old 07-12-05, 12:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Automobile Racing Hierarchy(sp?)

1. Historic People Carrier Racing (for the TG fans )....lol

High

_Formula 1 (etc...)
____World Rally
_______Rolex SCS/ ALMS
_________All Japan Grand Touring Championship
___________Cart/IRL
____________Karting
_____________Bicycle Racing
______________Soap Box Derby
_______________Solar Powered Auto Racing
________________Marathon
_________________R/C Car racing
_________________________NASCAR

Low

i believe my point has been made...

-Annant
Old 07-12-05, 12:43 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I clearly do not have enough beer in the fridge to talk NASCAR. I'll update if the situation ever changes.
Old 07-12-05, 01:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Although I am not really big into NASCAR as a racing series I would say I like Jeff Gordon. He is not a good ol boy and is a very good and competitive driver. He was on Letterman and Leno and he said he owns a Ferrari for his main sports car. I think he owns a Porsche 911 too. NASCAR is popular because of the drivers and their personalities and fans and not because of the actual cars and technology. They do put on a good show and if you like wrecks their are plenty of them in NASCAR races. It is easier and maybe a little more fun to follow a bunch of cars bunched together going in a circle at 200mph with huge multicar crashes then single cars going around a F1 circuit but I still find F1to be more interesting. There are occasional road course races in NASCAR but they are no where near as good as F1, GT, Lemans, Sebring, Cart etc. I did get into NASCAR a little when I was younger as my uncle told me to watch this new guy named Jeff Gordon but my interest faded as I found out how dated these cars designs and technology were and how they had nothing to do even with the production cars they mimic. My parents went to a few races in Taledega and they had a very good time. I would not mind going to a NASCAR race but I prefer the other types of racing.
Old 07-12-05, 03:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Of the original thread list, Jeff Gordon is probably the best and most skilled driver....I also agree with drink that he is one of the best behaved as well.
Tony Stewart? IMO he should have been kicked out of NASCAR a long time ago. He has had MORE than enough chances to drive cleanly and just keeps on doing the same nonsense over and over again. NASCAR management just doesn't seem to know how to deal with this guy....and neither does his team owner, Joe Gibbs...a man of impeccable character. Stewart knows this and and takes advantage of it all he can.
Old 07-12-05, 05:23 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

I too am a fan of formula 1 racing and watch it weekly but very seldom is there an actual race for the lead. Even more, there is very few lead changes unless someone wrecks or have some kind of mechanical failure. I agree that F1 by far requires more driving skills than nascar but rally takes that trophy.
Old 07-12-05, 08:58 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Paging Dr. Rick

the debate b/w nascar and any open wheel series (especially F1) comes down to what you like in racing. if you wanna see the most technologically advanced vehicles at breathtaking speeds, corner as if their on rails, then F1 is for you. but if you want competition, then you have to like nascar. ive said it time and time again, there are more passes for the lead in a single nascar race than there are in a whole season of F1. and thats no joke. they never pass for the lead on the track in F1. its all done in the pits. and you know the problem? the technology that everyone loves so much. these cars are so dependent on aerodynamics that theyre almost undriveable when they get too close to another car. so, to me, its just a parade.

as far as the best driver, even being a jr fan, i have to say stewart. the man can flat out drive anything. open wheel, world of outlaw, lemans, nascar, you name it and he wheels it. he has a reputation of being a whiner, but he's gotten alot better this year. the chase will be interesting. and even better, it will be sans jeff gordon. think nascar is happy about that?

Doc
Old 07-12-05, 09:52 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

New NASCAR driver: "I've never driven this track before. Any advice?"

Old NASCAR driver's response: "well, son, you go down that thar straightaway REAL fast and then yuh tuhrn LAEFT. Jus' keep doin' that over-n-over."
Old 07-12-05, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
as far as the best driver, even being a jr fan, i have to say stewart. the man can flat out drive anything. open wheel, world of outlaw, lemans, nascar, you name it and he wheels it. he has a reputation of being a whiner, but he's gotten alot better this year. the chase will be interesting. and even better, it will be sans jeff gordon. think nascar is happy about that?

Doc
How on Earth can you say that Stewart is a good driver? He wins races....literally......by pushing people out of his way, forcing them to spin into walls, every dirty trick in the book. ANY driver could win races if they did what he did. The guy is an absolute disgrace to racing....and should have been kicked out long ago. Even mild, well-behaved Jeff Gordon, who almost never gets mad, has had enough....he is ready to kick Stewart's a - - if nobody else does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-12-05 at 10:24 AM.