Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes S Class - 3 Generations in Comparison ( W140, W220, W221 )

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Default Mercedes S Class - 3 Generations in Comparison ( W140, W220, W221 )

Old 06-29-05, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Seat Adjustments

Back Seat

Old 06-29-05, 09:16 AM
LexFather

That dash belongs in a Kia, not a 80k Benz

Mercedes engineers confided in us that, in focus group testing, Americans had a far lower aptitude for mastering complex control systems than European and Japanese testers, and they tried to find a happy solution for all with slight regional software differences but the same overall system layout. Time will tell if Americans warm to the admittedly complex controller.

Kia XG

Last edited by LexFather; 06-29-05 at 10:28 PM.

Old 06-29-05, 09:46 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmmm...well considering that i never gave my opinion on the new S-class in the previous thread, I might as well do it here.

As far as the exterior of the new S-class, I like the front of the car. The grill, headlights, and the IS350 like foglights are nice looking. The front fender flair is nice looking, however the rear one is what throws me off. Its huge. The rear looks to much like a Maybach/7-series. Not a big fan. I like the window line, and the GS like chrome strip on the bottom.

The interior like many have said before, straight up 7-series copy all the way down to the arm rest and iDrive. I cant completely knock the iDrive like interface just yet because I have not used it. Who knows, it might work like the MMI system in the Audis which I have heard of no complaints as of yet. But overall layout. No thank you. Look at the guys face. Does he look happy??!! I dont see him turning around smiling looking at the camera. I do like the chrome treatment on the doors and the painted silver. Very nicely done. I noticed that he has NO headroom in the rear.

Anyway, I still like the curent gen the most inside and out.
Old 06-29-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very very ice pic comparison, good find sick!

i agree, the front of the new s class is pretty nice, but i just can't get over the side, especially the fenders. it loses the whole classiness imho. and of course not to mention the interior, the dash is just horrible. ...

regarding the 3 generations, i probably like the w220 the most. the w140 is very very nice, we all know it's god classic. but the style is kinda outdated to me. it's really like driving a box around town. but the interior i give them big big props though. for a car of that age, the interior is breath taking imho.

the w220 is like a blend of the best. the exterior is slick and very smooth, i love the style, not as old age anymore but still you see the class. interior is very nice too, and i see more headroom for the back as well
Old 06-29-05, 03:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree the W220 is the best looking inside & out, but the interior materials are also the most cheap for the S class when you examined it closely, specially the 2000-2002 versions Obviously, I haven't sat in the new one . . .
Old 06-29-05, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I agree the W220 is the best looking inside & out, but the interior materials are also the most cheap for the S class when you examined it closely, specially the 2000-2002 versions Obviously, I haven't sat in the new one . . .
i am not surprised, the quality of the w220 is definitely bad, especially the first 2 yrs. mb was so mad that they ordered a full new quality control upgrade. just by the fact that a lot of w220 owners, after couple months with their new w220, they went back to dealership and traded theirs back with w140. man.....

the old w140 is definitely solid built, the interior fit is awesome. that was very very well built
Old 06-29-05, 10:10 PM
Matters
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the first S-class that I haven't lusted after. I loved the W126 when I was kid, I was wowed by the technology of the W140 in 1991 and was seduced by the beauty of the W220. But the new one looks really "ho-hum" to me, both inside and out.

The new looks nice, but it isn't ground breaking. I think the A8 is by far the best pick of the Germans now, with the 7 series a distant second and the new S-class hanging around the back somewhere!
Old 06-30-05, 05:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well, I'm in the minority I see because I think this new S-class is better lookng inside and out than the older ones. The interior on the new one looks a bit plain but the materials look very good and some of the details like on the door controls look very tasteful.

I think it will be a runaway success.
Old 06-30-05, 05:18 PM
LexFather

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=112856

Who would have thunk it. Some think it looks like a Lexus! My how the tables have turned.

Old 06-30-05, 07:14 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really is a shame...

James
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes S Class - 3 Generations in Comparison ( W140, W220, W221 )-untitled-1-copy.jpg  
Old 06-30-05, 08:26 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

1SICKLEX ... so you also found out about the nice www.autobild.de information

I expect the new S to be significantly better build than the previous one. Mercedes learnt its lesson and cannot allow it fall in the same put again. (and they are aware of it, if you can believe the German magazines).
Old 06-30-05, 08:31 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

interesting comment about us Americans having less "aptitude" for mastering complex control systems in a vehicle.

IMO we are less patient as a country and everything has to be "right now" or it's too much effort. Not to mention that we are also spoiled and more used to being catered to.

So, are these cats trying to tell me that people actually enjoy using the i-Drive button in the new Bimmers for example???? My Pops couldn't stand it, and he's been in the technology business since the 70's.
Old 06-30-05, 10:04 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I love those big wheel wells. Gives a lot of presence and sport to the car. Far more interesting than the "let's take a rectangular box and lop off two of the corners" approach that Lexus has taken with the LS since inception.
Old 07-01-05, 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ebruce2
interesting comment about us Americans having less "aptitude" for mastering complex control systems in a vehicle.

IMO we are less patient as a country and everything has to be "right now" or it's too much effort. Not to mention that we are also spoiled and more used to being catered to.
I also think that many more people in the U.S. with less aptitude can AFFORD an S- class, unlike in Europe where almost no one can.

Quick Reply: Mercedes S Class - 3 Generations in Comparison ( W140, W220, W221 )