Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

50K off new Maybach's

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 04:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 50K off new Maybach's

Mercedes-Benz is giving hotels and resorts a $50,000 discount on its Maybach cars and is offering the same amount to dealers for demos kept for 5,000 miles.

It's a way to drum up business for the luxury sedans, which range in price up to $377,750. Mercedes initially predicted U.S. sales of up to 600 units a year, but sold just 244 last year. Sales through May totaled 64, up from 48 in the first five months of last year.

Build-to-order

Mercedes also expected all Maybachs to be built to order. But two years after launching the brand in the United States, nearly 50 percent of Maybach customers want to buy off the lot, says Wayne Killen, Maybach brand manager.

"If there is one area we may have underestimated, it is the number of people who wanted immediate gratification," says Killen.

Mercedes is offering dealers the $50,000 discount on demonstrator cars because some dealers who sold their demos to customers didn't reorder a new one quickly.

Usually, Mercedes-Benz requires demonstrator cars to have between 800 to 1,000 miles on the odometer before a dealer can collect an allowance and sell the car, says a Mercedes spokeswoman.

Killen says the new 5,000 mileage requirement for the Maybach demo incentive will encourage dealers to drive the cars to events and show them to prospective buyers.

The hotel deal was launched after the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas asked for a deal on five Maybachs, says Killen. At the MGM Grand, a Maybach and a driver will be made available to high rollers staying in high-priced rooms, says Thomas Zumbo of Fletcher Jones Imports in Las Vegas, which sold the cars to the MGM.

Maybach allows all of its 70 dealers to offer discounts to hotels and resorts, says Killen.

"Dealers are aware of this program, and I expect them to look at opportunities in their local market," he says. "It is great branding value that some of these hotels will bring to us."

The short-wheelbase Maybach 57 sells for $327,250, including shipping. The larger Maybach 62 costs $377,750. Rival Rolls-Royce doesn't offer similar discounts in North America.

2-car requirement

"Our dealers are required to have two cars, one for the showroom and the other as a demo," says James Selwa, outgoing president of Rolls-Royce Motors Cars North America LLC.

The only discount Rolls-Royce offers is a $15,000 loyalty rebate for previous owners when they purchase a new vehicle, says Selwa. Hotels pay full price, he says.

Killen won't say how many Maybachs he expects to sell this year. But he says Maybach sales aren't slow.

"I am not sure we overestimated the market," he says. "It is a task for us to build a brand."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102671
Old 06-28-05, 04:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Even though this discount only works for the dealership and businesses(well for right now), how much bottom end is built into these cars?? With every Maybach sold, MB must be making a huge profit to offer such a deal. Theres probably a lot of shared parts with lesser MB's.

Rolls Royce only offers 15K off for previous customers. Interesting.
Old 06-28-05, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Even though this discount only works for the dealership and businesses(well for right now), how much bottom end is built into these cars?? With every Maybach sold, MB must be making a huge profit to offer such a deal. Theres probably a lot of shared parts with lesser MB's.

Rolls Royce only offers 15K off for previous customers. Interesting.
Ist, I love your quote, Hov ripped that track.

Now, you are correct about Benz sharing the snot outta parts. They claim even without hitting sales targets, the car is profitable. And the more expensive the car, the more profitable it is (in most cases).
I just don't see the appeal in the Maybach, it really looks like a giant S-class. Ain't LOOKS half the reason you pay crazy money for these cars.

Make mine a Phantom. Its simply IMPOSING in person, it screams "I AM RICH BIATCH"

Old 06-28-05, 05:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I prefer the interior of the Maybach 62, but the exterior of the Phantom has much more road presence & curb appeal. I don't find either too appealing tho. I prefer the Bentley Arnage & the Bentley Continental GT coupe, they're more appealing, & you can almost get both these Bentley's for the price of either the Maybach 62 or the Phantom

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-28-05 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-28-05, 07:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ist, I love your quote, Hov ripped that track.

Now, you are correct about Benz sharing the snot outta parts. They claim even without hitting sales targets, the car is profitable. And the more expensive the car, the more profitable it is (in most cases).
I just don't see the appeal in the Maybach, it really looks like a giant S-class. Ain't LOOKS half the reason you pay crazy money for these cars.

Make mine a Phantom. Its simply IMPOSING in person, it screams "I AM RICH BIATCH"
LOL. Thanks man. Little quotes like that help to keep me focused and stay on my grind.

True indeed. I agree with ya there.. It sont think its that attractive on the outside. However what I suppose attracts ppl to it is the technological features available in the vehicle and thats about it.

But like I stated in the Phantom thread, to me its the best looking Ultra Lux car available today.
Old 06-29-05, 09:15 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Dealers are aware of this program, and I expect them to look at opportunities in their local market," he says. "It is great branding value that some of these hotels will bring to us."

I have said before that I have continuosly owned MB"s since 1968, so I have to be a little biased. However, I think the Maybach is a bust; not at all distinctive, styled boring and grossly overpriced. The hotels giving great branding is a bunch of horse crap. MB has totally missed the mark in branding this auto; in fact they have not suceeded in branding it at all. Most people, even car people, when they see one don't know what it is and once they are informed as to the mystery have no idea of how the car was named or what it should be. Poor marketing and branding in my estimation.
Old 06-29-05, 01:16 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a joke to offer a discount on that car. For a guy willing to spend 450,000 for a car, what the hell is 50K? lol think about it. 100k makes sense..that is considerable. Not liek itll happen.

Just my two cents.