Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Camry spy shots from Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AGAIN.............and I've said this before...........WHY does Toyota (and other automakers) do this crap with the bras and tape? It's nothing but a bunch of NONSENSE.

In my opinion, the auto press has not been firm enough with the industry about this practice. They need to be MUCH tougher dealing with the auto companies on this. The way I see it, the only legal way to stop this nonsense is for the auto press and magazines to stop taking industry money and advertising until the practice of disgusing new models stops. It will have to be a FIRM policy...and they will have to STICK to it. I would be willing to pay a little higher subscription prices if necessary to offset the loss of corporate money.

I'm not blaming you guys.....I've harped on this before...if you guys think I'm beginning to sound too much like the Energizer Bunny on this one, let me know, and I'll back off, but I think the more we complain to the industry about this, the more likely it will stop.
It's pretty funny how much this bothers you! The auto companies disguise their cars because they don't want to anihilate sales of current models. The pittance they pay in magazine advertising (as a %age of sales) has nothing to do with this and magazines have no leverage.
Old 06-25-05, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's pretty funny how much this bothers you! :.
Thanks, bit...you too, jet. I value both your opinions. Perhaps I have been a little too vocal. I still think the policy is BS but I will tone down the rhetoric.
Old 06-25-05, 09:29 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaban
Let's see...copy 40% BMW styling, paste 40%MB styling, pull 20% parts from the old Toyota bin and you have a brand new camry.

at least the new camry doesn't have the BMW Kink in the C-pillar.
Old 06-26-05, 04:36 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
at least the new camry doesn't have the BMW Kink in the C-pillar.
They had to reserve some copying for Lexus. They gave that kink to the 3rd gen GS.