Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Camry spy shots from Edmunds

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-05, 09:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
It doesn't sound good to me - a V10 Camry could double as a snow plow.

M.
I didn't say a V10 Camry, but a V10 sports sedan the size of a Camry
Old 06-24-05, 09:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
So, I guess the hybrid version will be mated to the GR V6, not an inline 4.

Straightline performance may be close to a GS450h then.

-------

Redesign of the ES shouldn't be far behind. Time for every Toyota and its mom to get the 3.5 GR.
Why do I get a sense that you can't wait for Toyota to follow the Nissan route with engine series distributions across the board?
Old 06-24-05, 09:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Honda's too busy building ugly wimpy pickups.
I highly agree with you.
Old 06-24-05, 10:10 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I didn't say a V10 Camry, but a V10 sports sedan the size of a Camry
Sorry about that; when I'm at work I just skim through the posts; I didn't read that stipulation.

- In that case - I agree. A M5-fighter from Toyota/Lexus would be awesome.

M.
Old 06-24-05, 10:19 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why do I get a sense that you can't wait for Toyota to follow the Nissan route with engine series distributions across the board?
Doesn't really matter what I want, fact is that's what they're going to do. I think it's a good strategy... put the 3.5 GR in most of its Toyota and Lexus cars. Saves costs. Tweak the power ratings depending on the car, 250 hp on the low end for the Camry, and 310 hp on the high end for the IS and the GS.

But we haven't confirmed that they will be using the 3.5 in the Camry. They may end up putting in the 3.0, and squeezing 250 hp out of it.
Old 06-24-05, 10:24 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't really matter what I want, fact is that's what they're going to do. I think it's a good strategy... put the 3.5 GR in most of its Toyota and Lexus cars. Saves costs. Tweak the power ratings depending on the car, 250 hp on the low end for the Camry, and 310 hp on the high end for the IS and the GS.

But we haven't confirmed that they will be using the 3.5 in the Camry. They may end up putting in the 3.0, and squeezing 250 hp out of it.
Good point. The 3.0 from the GS300 producing 245hp sounds just about right for a Camry. The 3.5 can be reserved for the Camry SE and Solara.
Old 06-24-05, 10:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Honda's too busy building ugly wimpy pickups.
LMAO but they all seem to share the ugly stick

Old 06-25-05, 01:37 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I'm excited about this one. I don't really like the current style on the camry.
Old 06-25-05, 02:04 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well unlike Nissan, Toyota uses variations of displacement, technology and power for specific applications. They don't just use one displacement engine for every car in their line up. There's a difference although not as evident. Nissan really doesn't have much choice in the situation they have been in. Engine sharing w/Toyota has historically been most evident with the strictly JDM model vehicles. It's more evident now that we see the GR block used in several applications as of recent.
Old 06-25-05, 09:19 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
I'm excited about this one. I don't really like the current style on the camry.

aww, what not to like man haha, well i have a 02' model camry so i basically gotta defend it because i drive one, but i have to admit, 02-04 models are kinda bland and the 05 got a face-lift that made it look more sportier, but still kinda plain looking,but when u have a ground effect kit from toyota placed on a black camry SE model with the SE 17' inch wheels, i have to admit that that car looks really good, tough and sporty
Old 06-25-05, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Very upscale lines! I like it a lot.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106183

Next-Generation Camry Set for Debut Next Year

Date Posted 06-23-2005

Toyota goes to great lengths to keep its upcoming models under wraps, but we've got the latest photos of the 2007 Toyota Camry that will go on sale early next year.
AGAIN.............and I've said this before...........WHY does Toyota (and other automakers) do this crap with the bras and tape? It's nothing but a bunch of NONSENSE.

In my opinion, the auto press has not been firm enough with the industry about this practice. They need to be MUCH tougher dealing with the auto companies on this. The way I see it, the only legal way to stop this nonsense is for the auto press and magazines to stop taking industry money and advertising until the practice of disgusing new models stops. It will have to be a FIRM policy...and they will have to STICK to it. I would be willing to pay a little higher subscription prices if necessary to offset the loss of corporate money.

I'm not blaming you guys.....I've harped on this before...if you guys think I'm beginning to sound too much like the Energizer Bunny on this one, let me know, and I'll back off, but I think the more we complain to the industry about this, the more likely it will stop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-05 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-25-05, 10:09 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

It almost looks like a more tame GS but smaller or IS but larger. I like the soft curves.
Old 06-25-05, 06:24 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well unlike Nissan, Toyota uses variations of displacement, technology and power for specific applications. They don't just use one displacement engine for every car in their line up. There's a difference although not as evident. Nissan really doesn't have much choice in the situation they have been in. Engine sharing w/Toyota has historically been most evident with the strictly JDM model vehicles. It's more evident now that we see the GR block used in several applications as of recent.
Yes, that's been the case so far. But, although we don't know for sure, it seems that they will use the 3.5 GR in the vast majority of their V6 cars. Only the IS will get a 2.5 version. All of their V6 trucks use the 4.0 GR.

Nissan uses the 3.5 VQ for its V6 cars, and the 4.0 VQ for its trucks. They also use the 2.5 VQ extensively in Japan, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will make its way to the states in the G and the CX.

Of course, one big area that Toyota differs is with hybrids, where they will match different displacement GR engines with electric motors.

It'll be interesting to see what engine that they match with the electric motors for the hybrid Camry. If it's the 3.5 GR, that'll be one fast-*** family hauler.
Old 06-25-05, 07:21 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AGAIN.............and I've said this before...........WHY does Toyota (and other automakers) do this crap with the bras and tape? It's nothing but a bunch of NONSENSE.

In my opinion, the auto press has not been firm enough with the industry about this practice. They need to be MUCH tougher dealing with the auto companies on this. The way I see it, the only legal way to stop this nonsense is for the auto press and magazines to stop taking industry money and advertising until the practice of disgusing new models stops. It will have to be a FIRM policy...and they will have to STICK to it. I would be willing to pay a little higher subscription prices if necessary to offset the loss of corporate money.

I'm not blaming you guys.....I've harped on this before...if you guys think I'm beginning to sound too much like the Energizer Bunny on this one, let me know, and I'll back off, but I think the more we complain to the industry about this, the more likely it will stop.
Ohhhhh...a little suspense too much for you? I'm sure we'll see it soon enough, you'll be alright. Just messing with ya man but I do agree that disguise is frustrating, although I think it's necessary.

James
Old 06-25-05, 07:30 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Let's see...copy 40% BMW styling, paste 40%MB styling, pull 20% parts from the old Toyota bin and you have a brand new camry.

Quick Reply: 2007 Camry spy shots from Edmunds