Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one could represent Lexus the best?
LS430
44.44%
SC430
0%
GS430
10.10%
LX470
1.01%
GX470
0%
GS300
6.06%
RX400h
6.06%
RX330
19.19%
ES330
10.10%
IS300
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

What is the current most successful Lexus vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 08:19 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the current most successful Lexus vehicle?

Among the following lineup, which particular one would you vote for the best Lexus vehicle(or the most successful or the one that could represent Lexus the best)? Please vote.
Old 06-05-05, 08:26 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

hmm... i would have to say either the RX300/330 or the ES300/330... i see them on the road everywhere.... but i think the ES is a bit more common than the RX.. so i guess my vote goes to the ES.

but in my personal taste.. i like the GS, GX, IS, and LS
Old 06-05-05, 08:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The Lexus flagship The LS430 is the model that makes the Lexus name more than any of the others.
The RX is a close second though, it's the best selling Lexus, & it revolutionized the SUV market being the first car-based SUV, & had all competitors following it's path.
Old 06-05-05, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The Lexus flagship The LS430 is the model that makes the Lexus name more than any of the others.
The RX is a close second though, it's the best selling Lexus, & it revolutionized the SUV market being the first car-based SUV, & had all competitors following it's path.
I am with you. I voted LS 430 but the LS 400 is the most succesful Lexus vehicle and one of the most successful ever created.
1. It was THE car to change the luxury field. It won every comparo, it was universal from the motoring press this was one of the grandest cars ever created.
2. Even Road and Track picked the LS as one of the 100 most important cars ever created. Mind you the only other one from the 90s was the Mclaren F-1, most every choice was something from the "old" days.
3. It was avant garde with technology. Those electrolumicent gauges were a first, now many other companies use them.
4. It had an optional Nakamichi sound system, which blew everything else away. Lexus was the first car company to be SERIOUS about acoustics.
5. It had the lowest CD in class. Every Lexus car/SUV has some of the lowest drag in class. Other car makers too their tech and used it to make their cars slippier in the wind.
6. Smallest panel gaps. Only Infintii was close to how precise the car was built.
7. Top marketing. It stated the trend of top Lexus marketing. Remember the wine glasses stacked in a running LS? Today we have the ad of the LS 430 doing 100mph in reverse between 2 18-wheelers as the driver looks through the rearview camera.
8. A new quality experience. Only the SC 430 is now a better built car (which is a Lexus). The LS 400 brought a new wave of quality in luxury. Something SORELY missing in class.
9. How to do a re-call!! Lexus did a voluntary recall with the LS. Previously, the industry blamed OWNERS for any problems. This was the first time a company admitted fault and fixed the problem no questions asked. It won over repeat customers with a mistake!
10. Quiet! The LS was the quiestest car in class.
11. Weight. The LS has always been near or the lightest weight in class.
12. Performance. Outside the Q45, the LS was near tops in performance.
13. Top Fuel Economy. The LS had top fuel economy in class, no one was close.
14. Classic looks. It was not avant-garde and took some styling cues from Benz, but you have a car that does not look "old". Back then, luxury cars had BLACK BUMPERS!!!
15. True value. You didn't get a "lesser" car with a cheaper price. You got a better or at least equivilent car for a cheaper price.

Lexus has always done a great job like the Germans with the fact its FLAGSHIP was with no arguement the best car in the brand. The LS trickles down to all the other cars.

I agree the RX is 2nd. This is a vehicle no one else thought of, the car-based SUV. Lexus saw where the luxury market was going, people wanted SUVs. Today every car-maker has one or wants one. Benz's new ML is now car based instead of a uni-body. The RX has many of the firsts for a SUV that the LS has for the sedan.

But the LS DEFINES Lexus. The SC is the "pearl" of Lexus now. Lexus always wanted a convertible and the SC 430 is it.

Old 06-06-05, 05:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with you guys on the LS400 / 430 engineering, but if you define success (as most sources do) by numbers in the marketplace, it's gotta go to either the ES or the RX.
Old 06-06-05, 05:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I don't think that's the right way to look at it just by sales #'s.
The cheaper, low end models always sell more than the flagship for every brand.
Old 06-06-05, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I don't think that's the right way to look at it just by sales #'s.
The cheaper, low end models always sell more than the flagship for every brand.
Generally true, but Infiniti was an exception.....neither the low-end G20 nor the flagship Q45 sold very well. One has been dropped.....twice.....and the other may be very soon.

Anyhow, the way you are defining success, I agree...the LS was probably a more significant car from an introductory standpoint.....but the ES and RX brought in the money. So it depends on how you define success. In fact, from a pure supply-and-demand standpoint, the RX400H is probably the most successful Lexus product yet, demand-wise.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-06-05 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 08:53 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I would have to say

1) LS
2nd belongs to the GS.
3rd is IS

Why I chose that, like most facts stated about the LS, there's no doubt why its so important. a GS in another hand changes the image of Lexus into a sportier minded crowd, I remember reading Road & Track back in 1998, I still have their first test with a blue GS400, back then I was so impress as a teenager I say "damn, that's one quick car that looks superb". So now I have one , it shows Lexus can do just as good and better than BMW.

the IS in another hand brings the newer Lexus image to the younger crowd, the affordability and the performance really increase Lexus's profile in car crowd.

that's my opinion.
Old 06-06-05, 12:35 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Which one could represent Lexus the best?"

There's a reason why the LS is called the Lexus flagship model. Enough said.
Old 06-06-05, 12:39 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
"Which one could represent Lexus the best?"

There's a reason why the LS is called the Lexus flagship model. Enough said.
I'll second that...
Old 06-06-05, 05:45 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When people think Lexus and don't say a model... they are usually refering to a LS (in my experience)

So ya... LS =D Can't go wrong w/ the flagship that everyone loves
Old 06-06-05, 06:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

... the best Lexus vehicle
... or the most successful
... or the one that could represent Lexus the best)?
I think those are 3 different questions.

1) LS (easy)
2) ES and RX (makes Lexus dumpsters of money)
3) LS
Old 06-06-05, 08:02 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The question is misleading. I thought you meant which car does Lexus sell the most of, and I would guess that is the ES. The LS obviously is the top dog.
Old 06-06-05, 08:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
.Today we have the ad of the LS 430 doing 100mph in reverse between 2 18-wheelers as the driver looks through the rearview camera.

you think that commercial is real? I'm not trying to be a smart ***, I'm asking.

I have my doubts on that one. What did they do, make a special trans that does 100mph in reverse?
Old 06-06-05, 08:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chuckb
The question is misleading. I thought you meant which car does Lexus sell the most of, and I would guess that is the ES . . .
No, it's the RX, unless you make the silly argument that RX is a SUV, not a car

Quick Reply: What is the current most successful Lexus vehicle?