Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SHELL vs BP AMOCO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 09:22 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHELL vs BP AMOCO?

ok guys, these are the big two in my area, along with mobile and marathon...any idea who's the best for our gs's? i like v-power by shell, but are they all the same?

here's the price of shell in my area
Old 05-23-05, 09:28 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

I always buy shell when I can, there gas comes from saudi arabia or somewhere in the middle east I believe. BP is british pertrolium and they get there oil from russia, there oil is also top notch so as far as what I have observed I think both shell and bp are equal. Oh and holly ish where do you live thats some cheap gas, v -power over here costs 2.35 I think and thats cheap for me.
Old 05-23-05, 09:39 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vicestan
I always buy shell when I can, there gas comes from saudi arabia or somewhere in the middle east I believe. BP is british pertrolium and they get there oil from russia, there oil is also top notch so as far as what I have observed I think both shell and bp are equal. Oh and holly ish where do you live thats some cheap gas, v -power over here costs 2.35 I think and thats cheap for me.

thats some really useful information vicestan...i live in the west suburbs by chicago...that pic is of a shell in wheaton, IL.
Old 05-23-05, 09:52 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Really? I live in oswego and I was in westmont yesturday, the cheapest premium shell gas I think I saw was around 2.30ish. If I see those gas prices here i'l be using my PWR button again
Old 05-23-05, 09:57 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

i got vpower for 2.13 yesterday hehe... funny thing is that i crossed the freeway and the other shell was 2.21 for vpower thats crazy
Old 05-23-05, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to me shell is after 76 and cheveron, but that's jsut me
Old 05-23-05, 11:34 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

i've read lots of good things about chevron, but we dont have that brand here....and 76 is just as scarce
Old 05-23-05, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
i've read lots of good things about chevron, but we dont have that brand here....and 76 is just as scarce
man it must be a regional thing huh....
Old 05-24-05, 01:29 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco #1
Chevron #2
76 #3
Shell #3.5
etc etc etc...... w/ Arco last!
Old 05-24-05, 02:47 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

wow... here on guam... we only have
mobil
shell

our highest grade here is 91 oct. and that runs around 2.85-2.91 per gal.
Old 05-24-05, 03:54 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BP Amoco for me
Old 05-24-05, 05:05 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My mom works at the port. She says all the gases are the same. Where they become different is at the higher end...super or premium. The individual companies then add their own unique features. For example Amoco says their premium is crystal clear thus being far cleaner than others. Chevron says they have a detergent in their gas that can clean your lines. And the battle goes on. I've used Amoco premium since age 14...no complaints.

Wow, I've been driving over 30 years and I still enjoy it.
Old 05-24-05, 09:25 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well i got a friend whos dad works for quality control for some insurrance company, that company insures exxonmobile i believe...he told me that what makes regular and premium different is this little bottle of additives, approx. the size of an ozarka 16oz bottle. i dont know if thatsa good thing or bad thing
Old 05-24-05, 09:28 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Chevron in the southwest

Up here only BP

I got bad gas at as Shell four different times when I was driving my previous cars
Old 05-24-05, 09:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Definitely regional choices. Although Texaco which is owned by Chevron is no longer found in CA. There are certain regions in the US that Texaco services. The great thing is that Texaco stations carry Chevron's famous Techron additive. No more Clean System 3.

http://www.chevrontexaco.com/news/pr...2005-05-02.asp

ChevronTexaco Launches Techron® Globally

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ChevronTexaco to Debut Exclusive Premium Additive at ChevronTexaco-supplied Texaco Stations in North America and Latin America This Summer; Asia, Africa, Pakistan and Europe to Follow Next Year
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN RAMON, Calif., May 2, 2005 -- ChevronTexaco Global Marketing today announced that gasolines with Techron will be introduced at ChevronTexaco-supplied Texaco service stations in the United States and at many Texaco service stations throughout Latin America this summer. The launch of Techron – ChevronTexaco’s specially-formulated, exclusive additive technology currently in all Chevron gasolines – marks the first phase of a global campaign introducing Techron to world markets.

Subsequent phased launches of gasolines with Techron in certain markets for the Caltex brand in Asia, Eastern, Central and Southern Africa, Pakistan and the Texaco brand in Europe and Western Africa are scheduled to take place in 2006. Techron, which helps prevent deposit build-up on vital engine parts that can adversely impact vehicle performance and emissions, will be included in all gasoline grades.

"ChevronTexaco proves it’s first again among major oil companies to extend a successful brand additive to markets around the world," said Shariq Yosufzai, president of Global Marketing for ChevronTexaco. "Chevron with Techron has already set an unsurpassed standard for clean, safe, reliable and quality gasolines that are second to none. Bringing Techron to our customers around the globe not only reinforces our commitment to these world class brands, but further demonstrates our plans to continue building these retail brands in the future."

The Techron global launch follows the qualification of all Chevron gasolines as the first in the United States and Canada to be designated as meeting performance criteria set by automakers BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline without changing additive formulation.

TOP TIER establishes criteria for detergency levels in gasoline significantly higher than those currently set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These automobile manufacturers believe that TOP TIER gasolines result in better overall performance.

Gasolines with Techron allow consumers to help clean up and keep clean vital engine parts such as intake valves and fuel injectors. Techron does an unsurpassed job in cleaning the engine’s intake system while minimizing harmful combustion chamber deposits, which can cause knocking or loss of power during acceleration, and higher emissions.

The timing of the Techron launch in the United States is essential to distinguishing the company in the marketplace over the next year. As a result of ChevronTexaco’s merger in 2001, ChevronTexaco and Shell both have rights to use the Texaco brand in the United States until July 1, 2006. Only ChevronTexaco-supplied Texaco stations will offer gasolines with Techron.

Beginning on July 1, 2006, ChevronTexaco will assume exclusive rights to the Texaco brand in the United States, and all existing and future Texaco retail brand locations will benefit from the Techron additive. Signage and graphics identifying the Techron brand will be featured at Texaco service stations offering gasolines with Techron. ChevronTexaco currently has exclusive rights to the Texaco brand outside of the United States.

"Techron provides the key ingredient that differentiates ChevronTexaco gasolines from other branded gasolines in the marketplace," said Danny Roden, vice president for North America marketing for ChevronTexaco. "ChevronTexaco has long focused on providing fuels that minimize deposits on vital engine parts. Not only do gasolines with Techron help keep those engine parts clean, but they also help remove deposits left by gasolines with lower-quality additive packages."

Launching Texaco with Techron in Latin America will raise the bar for high performance gasolines in the region.

"Texaco is an enduring, well-known brand with a leadership position throughout Latin America," said Dale Walsh, ChevronTexaco vice president for Latin America marketing. "We know our customers value high performance and are confident they will welcome Techron’s leading-edge technology that helps maintain and protect engine performance while minimizing emissions."

Founded in Beaumont, Texas, Texaco has been a legendary brand and local success story in U.S. South and East since 1911, and has established long standing brand strength in Europe, Latin America, and Western Africa. Since 1936, the Caltex brand has stood for quality and the core value of being respectfully helpful in Asia-Pacific and in Eastern, Central and Southern Africa.

ChevronTexaco Corp. is one of the world's leading energy companies. With more than 47,000 employees, ChevronTexaco subsidiaries conduct business in approximately 180 countries around the world, producing and transporting crude oil and natural gas, and refining, marketing and distributing fuels and other energy products. ChevronTexaco Global Marketing is a division of ChevronTexaco Global Downstream LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of ChevronTexaco Corp. ChevronTexaco is based in San Ramon, Calif. More information on ChevronTexaco is available at www.chevrontexaco.com. "TECHRON is a registered trademark licensed to Chevron U.S.A. Inc."

Quick Reply: SHELL vs BP AMOCO?