Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M-badged SUVs? BMW considering expansion of high-performance unit’s model lineup

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default M-badged SUVs? BMW considering expansion of high-performance unit’s model lineup

JENS MEINERS | Automotive News Europe

Posted Date: 5/17/05

MUNICH – BMW could expand its M range of high-performance cars into SUVs and other models.

The X5 and X3 premium SUV models are possible contenders for new M variants, as are the 5 Series station wagon and the Z4 roadster.

Extending the M range would spell the end of the purist approach that the M division has followed since it launched its first car, the 1978 M1. This was a supercar co-developed with Lamborghini and styled by Italdesign Giugiaro.

Currently, BMW sells the M3, M5 and M6.

“We have great potential to go into new segments with M models,” said M division CEO Ulrich Bruhnke.

Bruhnke said the success of the X3 and X5 SUVs shows that BMW can break out of its traditional segments.

No M badge for 1 Series

“If we were asked to do such a model [an M-badged SUV], I am convinced we could do it,” he said.

Bruhnke feels there is room at the top of the X5 range for an M model. The current high-performance model would not be considered for an M-badge, he said.

An M-version of the 1 Series is unlikely, because it is not offered in the U.S., where half of BMW’s M models are sold, Bruhnke said.

Even with an expansion of the lineup, an M model will never be just a higher-powered BMW, said Bruhnke.

“We don’t do labeling. M models cannot be just a variation. Handling and dynamic behavior are as important as linear acceleration,” he said.

BMW’s M division employs 500 people. Between 1978 and 2004, BMW built 228,454 M models. More than 70 percent were M3 cars.

The company does not disclose the M division’s profitability. But making a profit is not the only reason for the unit’s existence.

It gives BMW cars that highlight the automaker’s core value, which is to build cars that deliver performance and agile handling.

M models also serve as a test platform for new technologies, such as carbon-fiber applications:

“We are a small experimental field for BMW,” said Bruhnke.

Bruhnke, 50, took over BMW’s M unit in December 2003 after previous head Adolf Prommesberger retired. Earlier, Bruhnke ran Mercedes-Benz’s AMG high-performance division, where he raised AMG’s sales to 24,000 units from 10,500.

BMW has not yet decided how to expand the M range. Said Bruhnke: “It’s very comfortable to have more ideas than capacity.”

A broadening of the M range could also eventually lead to a future mid-engined supercar in the tradition of the M1, Bruhnke said.

BMW displayed a 700hp V-12 concept X5 at the Geneva auto show in 2000. Said Bruhnke: “This showed what an M car based on the X5 could look like.”
Old 05-17-05, 07:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Speaking of X-5 M series. My sister just picked up a 2002 M series with 38,000 miles at a local auction. This car is amazing. It has tons of power. With the M badges and chrome tips it sure sets it apart from other models. I've always liked BMW but never could afford it nor did i like the suv models, but i would consider on getting the X-5. I think in the near future the SUV division is gonna grow rapidly. With the 5 and 6 series and the all new 3 series the suv and tons of potenial. Thanks Tony
Old 05-17-05, 07:58 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea. Afterwards, Lexus should descend into hell to buy ///M's soul back and then keep it for themselves.
Old 05-17-05, 08:20 AM
LexFather

You see, Benz can makes tons of AMG models b/c they are all autos and none are really used for racing, except the CLK-DTM.

With BMW M, they are using in racing and that is where the tech comes from. They also insist only certain cars can have the M badge b/c not all cars are worthy. That is why the X5 4.6 then 4.8 never had a M badge even though they were high-performance models of the X5, it was not a manual and they felt no SUV could be a true M.

With AMG selling like hotcakes at a premium (which means more profit) BMW is under pressure to sell more M, especially since the cars are already popular.

M4, M7, yes and M5 wagon and M3 variets (sedan etc) yes, but M SUVs= the no

Old 05-17-05, 08:31 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You see, Benz can makes tons of AMG models b/c they are all autos and none are really used for racing, except the CLK-DTM.

With BMW M, they are using in racing and that is where the tech comes from. They also insist only certain cars can have the M badge b/c not all cars are worthy. That is why the X5 4.6 then 4.8 never had a M badge even though they were high-performance models of the X5, it was not a manual and they felt no SUV could be a true M.

With AMG selling like hotcakes at a premium (which means more profit) BMW is under pressure to sell more M, especially since the cars are already popular.

M4, M7, yes and M5 wagon and M3 variets (sedan etc) yes, but M SUVs= the no
I think even an M7 would be selling out, but we all know the BMW ///Marketing team is going to overpower the ///Motorsport division someday.
Old 05-17-05, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I think even an M7 would be selling out, but we all know the BMW ///Marketing team is going to overpower the ///Motorsport division someday.
GREAT point dude.

Yeah, they make a shortwheelbase 745 with 20s standard but its still not a M car. Its hot to me though.

Old 05-17-05, 08:47 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GREAT point dude.

Yeah, they make a shortwheelbase 745 with 20s standard but its still not a M car. Its hot to me though.
Yeah, if I were to buy a 7, it'd be a 750i, not Li. But honestly, I'd buy a GS460 or GS450h way before I'd ever consider an E65 750i.
Old 05-17-05, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think it makes sense. bmw should just have m series of every car like mb, that's a way to make a statement about themselves.

in fact i always wonder why they didn't make the x5 4.6is the "official" m version of the x5
Old 05-17-05, 09:22 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i think it makes sense. bmw should just have m series of every car like mb, that's a way to make a statement about themselves.

in fact i always wonder why they didn't make the x5 4.6is the "official" m version of the x5
And that statement would be, "We are purists no longer. Money, money, money, mooooooooney!"
Old 05-17-05, 09:44 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figured it wouldn't be too long before BMW jumped on the performance-SUV bandwagon of all the ML55 AMG, G55 AMG, Range Rover Sport, Cayenne Turbo, Q7 V10, Bentley SUV, etc. Nobody gives a da*n to the purity of a nameplate anymore anyway.
Old 05-18-05, 05:39 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
I remember when the 4.6is first came out, and there was an article about it in Roundel (the BMW CCA magazine). It was either the CEO of BMW or the chief of BMW NA who stated like three or four times that there would NEVER be an M version of the X5 because it would betray the very heart and soul of what BMW stands for as a company, and what M means as the ultimate expression of the ultimate driving machine. The same article said it would be highly, highly unlikely they would ever offer an M7, as the size of the vehicle simply butted up against the laws of physics when trying to make it a true motorsports machine.

To see a high-ranking BMW official saying these kinds of things publicly (e.g. it's better to have more ideas than the capacity to produce them, a la an M X5) is blasphemy in my book. They could come out with an M minivan or pick-up truck, too. Stupid ideas? Yes, but I guess they're worth publicizing since it's better to have more ideas than the capacity to produce them.
Old 05-18-05, 06:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
I remember when the 4.6is first came out, and there was an article about it in Roundel (the BMW CCA magazine). It was either the CEO of BMW or the chief of BMW NA who stated like three or four times that there would NEVER be an M version of the X5 because it would betray the very heart and soul of what BMW stands for as a company, and what M means as the ultimate expression of the ultimate driving machine. The same article said it would be highly, highly unlikely they would ever offer an M7, as the size of the vehicle simply butted up against the laws of physics when trying to make it a true motorsports machine.

To see a high-ranking BMW official saying these kinds of things publicly (e.g. it's better to have more ideas than the capacity to produce them, a la an M X5) is blasphemy in my book. They could come out with an M minivan or pick-up truck, too. Stupid ideas? Yes, but I guess they're worth publicizing since it's better to have more ideas than the capacity to produce them.
Greatest post ever. I agree 110%.....