Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Jeep Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 07:47 PM
LexFather

Default 2006 Jeep Commander

They got to be kidding me...

NEW YORK, March 23 -- Its name is Jeep Commander, yet the newest member of the Jeep vehicle family could just as easily answer to "vanguard."

That's because the all-new 2006 Jeep Commander -- classic in design, engineered to perform as only Jeep vehicles can, the first with three rows of seats, and equipped with advanced safety technologies -- is the leading edge of a Jeep product offensive scheduled for the next few years.

"The 2006 Jeep Commander is significant for a number of reasons," said Jeff Bell, Vice President Jeep, Chrysler Group. "First, Commander signals our commitment to remain the leader in the sport-utility market, a market that Jeep invented more than 60 years ago. This is the first seven-passenger 4x4 that is Jeep Trail Rated. Second, Commander is the only SUV in its class to offer two V-8 engines. In addition, the Jeep Commander expands and strengthens what is already a stellar lineup, consisting of the Wrangler, Liberty and Grand Cherokee. And finally, the all-new Jeep Commander initiates the expansion of the Jeep vehicle lineup that will take place during the second half of this decade."

Heritage Exterior Design, Complemented by An All-New Interior

In developing the 2006 Jeep Commander, designers looked to past Jeep vehicles for inspiration: the ****** Station Wagons (1946 to 1962), the Jeep Wagoneer (1963 to 1991) and especially the Jeep Cherokee (1984 to 2001). All were classically Jeep in appearance, with sharp lines, planar surfaces and rugged looks. The 2006 Jeep Commander is a modern interpretation of that design ethic.

The Jeep Commander's upright windshield, backlite and rear end, as well as its more vertical body sides and side glass, embody the vehicle's classic Jeep styling. Even the side-view mirrors are blocky and stout. Overall, Commander looks strong and confident because of its military bearing -- upright and rugged.

And because it is steeped in heritage Jeep design, the Commander looks familiar and new at the same time. This tension between past and present engages the emotions.

"The Jeep Cherokee is an authentic, classic shape that is rooted in the public consciousness," said Donald A. Renkert, Senior Manager, Jeep Studio, Chrysler Group Product Design Office. "By reinterpreting that vehicle, and other classic Jeep vehicles of the past, the Jeep Commander elicited nods of recognition from consumers, even though it is a brand new vehicle. There is a sense of deja vu about the Jeep Commander that brings knowing smiles of satisfaction."

The satisfaction continues inside the vehicle, where attention to detail is evident. For example, the two-tone instrument panel is a design unique to Commander. From the gear shift ****, to the four round gauges that make up the instrument cluster, to the new steering wheel, Commander is refined and uniquely Jeep in appearance.

The newly designed seats are supportive and comfortable. And, for the first time in a Jeep vehicle, there are three rows of them, each row slightly higher than the one in front of it. This distinctive stadium seating arrangement makes forward viewing easier. The second and third row seats fold forward to create a flat load floor. Commander is only two inches longer than the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, even though it is designed to accommodate three rows of seats. And since they have the same wheelbase (109.5 inches), Commander is as maneuverable and off-road capable as the Grand Cherokee.

The Jeep Commander's stepped roof provides second and third row occupants with plenty of head room. Complementing the available front-mounted sun roof is Command-View(TM), new and innovative skylights (complete with shades) over the second row of seats.

Engineered to Go Anywhere, Do Anything

Class-leading off-road capability and on-road refinement were mandatory for the Jeep Commander. So the Jeep team went to the head of the class: They provided Commander with the same 4x4 systems, suspension and powertrains as the award-winning 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, including an independent front suspension and rack and pinion steering. Available on Commander are:

* Three full-time four-wheel drive systems, Quadra-Trac I(R), Quadra-Trac II(R) and Quadra-Drive II(R)

* Two transfer cases offering Brake Traction Control System (BTCS), and Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance

* Three available engines: the 5.7-liter HEMI(R) V-8 with the Multi- Displacement System, the 4.7-liter SOHC Power Tech V-8, and the 3.7-liter SOHC Power Tech V-6 engine

"The on-road refinement and off-road capability of the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee are key reasons why it was named 4x4 of the Year by 4-Wheel & Off- Road magazine," said Craig Love, Vice President, Rear-Wheel Drive Product Team. "Now, the only vehicle on the market with the same pedigree is the all- new Jeep Commander."

Safety and Security Designed in from the Beginning

Like all Chrysler Group vehicles, the 2006 Jeep Commander is designed to improve not only handling and accident avoidance, but also to provide excellent crash protection. Jeep Commander is the first Chrysler Group vehicle with electronic roll mitigation. Using input from multiple sensors, the system deploys the air bags in certain rollover scenarios, as well as side impact events.

Crash protection features available on the Jeep Commander include advanced multi-stage air bags with an Occupant Classification System, available side curtain air bags, seat belts equipped with pretensioners and digressive load limiting retractors, and BeltAlert(R), a buckle-up reminder system for the driver.

Crash avoidance features on the 2006 Jeep Commander include standard Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and an All- Speed Traction Control System (TCS). A tire pressure monitoring system, ParkSense(TM), (rear park assist), Uconnect(TM) hands-free communications, DVD-based navigation system, SmartBeam(R) headlamps and rain sensitive wipers provide additional safety and security on the road.

Jeep Trail Rated

The Jeep Trail Rated badge on the 2006 Jeep Commander shows that the vehicle has been designed to perform in a variety of challenging off-road conditions identified by five key consumer-oriented performance categories: Traction, Ground Clearance, Maneuverability, Articulation and Water Fording.

Jeep Trail Rated is an industry-leading methodology established by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) and Jeep Engineering to objectively measure and consistently predict off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles today and into the future. Through a combination of natural and controlled field tests, as well as computer simulated environments, Jeep Trail Rated provides a repeatable and consistent measurement of off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles. Only Jeep vehicles are Trail Rated.

Old 03-29-05, 08:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Nope. Definitely not kidding you. You think it looks bad now, wait till you actually see one. Hideous is not even the proper word to describe this thing. I saw it at the NYIAS. It was black which is probably the best color for this truck and had a lot of chrome trim. Still looked horrible. My biggest concern is that it looked no bigger than the Grand Cherokee. Its slightly longer, but thats about it. Sort of like how the Trailblazer XL looks which I also think is kind of wierd. Not to mention its styling similarities with the 1991 Jeep Cherokee. That truck was discontinued for a reason. Dont resurrect its early 90's style and think its going to sell.

EDIT: Oh, by the way. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155889

Might as well merge since you have more info, if ya can still do that.
Old 03-30-05, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry, guys.......I, for one, DON'T think it looks hideous at all. In fact, here, for a change, is an HONEST-looking SUV that doesn't disguise itself trying to look like something else way the new RAV4 does with those ridiculous sweep-back headlights and Space-age body and interior.

Like the Isuzu Trooper (now discontinued) the Mercedes G-Wagon, the Mitsubishi Montero, and the Land Rover Discovery and LR3, here is an SUV that still LOOKS like one....basically like a full-size Cherokee. And why pan the 3rd-row seats? That is what a lot of customers want nowadays and they will not buy a vehicle without them.

Judging from the record of its predecessors, though, I would have some concerns about its long-term reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-05 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-30-05, 11:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Yep, this thing is ugly
Old 03-30-05, 11:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Doesn't look tooooo bad. I wouldn't call it aztec ugly.
The rear does look like the QX56
Old 03-30-05, 02:43 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks like an '87 Isuzu Trooper II. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 03-30-05, 02:52 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Wow, Jeep is making their vehicles look like their reliability ratings. Bad.

And the first thing that came to mind was an Isuzu Trooper II. And not in a good way.
Old 03-30-05, 02:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry, guys.......I, for one, DON'T think it looks hideous at all. In fact, here, for a change, is an HONEST-looking SUV that doesn't disguise itself trying to look like something else way the new RAV4 does with those ridiculous sweep-back headlights and Space-age body and interior...
The RAV4's headlights are one of the best looking in the SUV industry. It's not like they're as extreme as the Celica's. The body is also very attractive. This jeep makes me want to cry because I'm a fan of Chrysler products/design. The Commaders headlights are the ugliest thing to ever happen to an automobile. They even make BMW headlights look respectable.

Old 03-30-05, 03:17 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

This looks just like the boxy Cherokee that went out of production after the Liberty came out.
Old 03-30-05, 03:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The RAV4's headlights are one of the best looking in the SUV industry . . .
Old 03-30-05, 04:39 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"The 2006 Jeep Commander is significant for a number of reasons," said Jeff Bell, Vice President Jeep, Chrysler Group. "First, Commander signals our commitment to remain the leader in the sport-utility market, a market that Jeep invented more than 60 years ago. This is the first seven-passenger 4x4 that is Jeep Trail Rated. Second, Commander is the only SUV in its class to offer two V-8 engines. In addition, the Jeep Commander expands and strengthens what is already a stellar lineup, consisting of the Wrangler, Liberty and Grand Cherokee. And finally, the all-new Jeep Commander initiates the expansion of the Jeep vehicle lineup that will take place during the second half of this decade."
Are ALL these auto executives delusional? Let's see, if I was a real Jeep fanatic, how excited would I be that:

1) They want to "remain the leader in the SUV market." How do they define leadership? In what way HAVE they been a leader since, well, approximately 60 years ago? (Okay, to be fair, since 20 years ago.)

2) It's "Jeep Trail Rated". Oh, boy! And I'm guessing the Land Cruiser could be "Toyota Trail Rated", the Yukon could be "GMC Trail Rated"...

3) It offers two V-8 engines. What a stunning menu of choices!

4) The Wrangler, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee make up their "stellar lineup." I think the solar system they're referring to is about to go nova, imploding on itself due to denseness of material.

5) This new SUV "initiates the expansion of the Jeep lineup." But I thought the lineup was already "stellar"? I guess one more boxy, under-powered, over-priced rattletrap is just what they need.
Old 03-30-05, 06:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I give up - I don't even try to guess what people will like these days. The Scion Xb sells like crazy and it is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I just don't get it. I bet this thing sells.
Old 03-30-05, 07:11 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
I give up - I don't even try to guess what people will like these days. The Scion Xb sells like crazy and it is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I just don't get it. I bet this thing sells.
I think the xB looks cool.

Different strokes for different folks. There are lots of Jeep fanatics out there
Old 03-31-05, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The RAV4's headlights are one of the best looking in the SUV industry. It's not like they're as extreme as the Celica's. The body is also very attractive. This jeep makes me want to cry because I'm a fan of Chrysler products/design. The Commaders headlights are the ugliest thing to ever happen to an automobile. They even make BMW headlights look respectable.

The new upcoming RAV4 headlights that I'm talking about ARE as extreme as the Celica's.
As for the rest.........we will just agree to disagree on that.

Peace, bro.