Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Panamera: MB CLS contender??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 10:00 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Porsche Panamera: MB CLS contender??

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101990

Porsche’s anticipated fourth model line has a name: Panamera. Registered by Porsche at the same time as the Cayman moniker it is applying to the upcoming Boxster-based coupe, the new name is expected to grace a concept version of the car, which insiders describe as a combination of coupe and sedan, at the Frankfurt motor show in September.

Due out in 2008, the Panamera has been conceived as successor to the 928. Designed with space for four adults, it is also tipped to come clothed in a four-door body in a move that will pitch it into direct competition with cars like the Mercedes-Benz CLS and Maserati Quattroporte.

Secrecy surrounds the mechanical basis for the new car, though the Stuttgart rumor mill suggests Porsche chairman Wendelin Wiedeking has forged links with Volkswagen on a new rear-wheel-drive platform program in a move similar to that undertaken with the Cayenne and Touareg. Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder is interested in adding a new rear-wheel-drive model to the Volkswagen lineup between the Passat and Phaeton, and after the recent breakdown in talks with Maserati, it seems additional cooperation with Porsche may be in the cards.

Power for the new car is set to come from the same 4.5-liter V8 engines as those offered on the Cayenne. They include a naturally aspirated version with 340 hp and a turbo*charged unit with 450 hp. An even more powerful model with more than 500 hp is also in the pipeline. Up to 20,000 examples of the Panamera are expected to roll annually from Porsche’s Leipzig factory in Germany, where it will be produced alongside the Cayenne.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101990

Last edited by magneto112; 03-15-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 12:00 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Old 03-15-05, 12:04 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I like the rear, looks very GT.
Old 03-15-05, 12:24 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

looks fake
very photoshopish
the only real part is the rear
Old 03-15-05, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

wow, indeed it looks a lot like the cls i think
Old 03-15-05, 01:54 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

If Porsche comes out with something similar to this it will be a big hit, mark my words.
Old 03-15-05, 03:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, indeed it looks a lot like the cls i think
This is def. PS, but I hope the Porsche will look better, I finally saw the CLS in person a few days ago & think it looks blah
I don't agree with those who think the interior is cheap though.
Old 03-15-05, 03:34 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I think any 4 door porsche is a sin against nature
Old 03-15-05, 05:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
This is def. PS, but I hope the Porsche will look better, I finally saw the CLS in person a few days ago & think it looks blah
I don't agree with those who think the interior is cheap though.
i have yet to see the cls in person. is your problem with the rear of the car?
Old 03-15-05, 06:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have yet to see the cls in person. is your problem with the rear of the car?
The rear actually isn't bad, I don't like its profile (like some said it's banana -like), & the front doesn't appeal to me - I don't like the headlights nor the grille, they just look odd together.

I'm 5' 10 1/2" & I don't find it convenient to get into the back seats, no wonder they call it a 4 door coupe.
Old 03-15-05, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The rear actually isn't bad, I don't like its profile (like some said it's banana -like), & the front doesn't appeal to me - I don't like the headlights nor the grille, they just look odd together.

I'm 5' 10 1/2" & I don't find it convenient to get into the back seats, no wonder they call it a 4 door coupe.
very interesting, seems like the car isn't doing anything to you. i don't know, i think it's ok, but i can't even gather myself to go to dealership and take a look at teh car
Old 03-15-05, 08:10 PM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
will Porsche keep the suicide doors?
Old 03-15-05, 09:01 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would think Porsche learned its lesson the first time with VW on the Toureg/Cayenne debaucle. VW's Toureg took off..the Cayenne..well uhh, let's try to keep it civil as Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear said it best.

The rumors I've heard bout this car..based on a modified Phaeton (which flopped miserably for VW) body...speculated V8.

The amusement factor should be high on this one.

Last edited by tetra7; 03-15-05 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tetra7
You would think Porsche learned its lesson the first time with VW on the Toureg/Cayenne debaucle. VW's Toureg took off..the Cayenne..well uhh, let's try to keep it civil as Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear said it best.

The rumors I've heard bout this car..based on a modified Phantom (which flopped miserably for VW) body...speculated V8.

that's exactly how i feel about it.... soon enough they are gonig to start making truck.... what's the point.....
Old 03-15-05, 10:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by tetra7

The rumors I've heard bout this car..based on a modified Phaeton (which flopped miserably for VW) body...speculated V8.

But isnt it because of the Cayenne why sales have risen so sharply?? If it wasnt for the Cayenne, sales would be down, even though if some loyal Porsche owners didnt like it. Can;t be mad at them if they are trying to gain market share and succeeding.

To me, I thought a 4-door should have came before an SUV. And if they are able to sell an SUV, I dont think they will have trouble selling a 4door sports sedan. I also highly doubt the modified Phaeton thing too. I cant see Porsche using that. But you never know. Its all still rumors.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera: MB CLS contender??