Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My review of the CLS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 11:28 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My review of the CLS

Just got home from a close look at the Benz CLS. I am absolutely shocked at what I saw. The fitment of body panels is horrible. For example....where the hood meets the front facia. There is a gap big enough to put your finger through. And worse, the gap was bigger on one side of the grill than the other. There were gaps where the window seams meet the body panels. The inside...where the door meets the B-pillar...gap big enough to put two fingers in. The interior feels cheap. Wood was not the same quality as the other models. Feels like a Chrysler inside...everything feels cheap. AND THIS IS AN $80K CAR!

Take a couple of steps back and it makes a wonderful presentation. Looks beautiful. But me...I wouldn't pay $25K for this car.

Had to add more. The way the door closes. No feeling of solidity or safeness. Felt cheap. The seats....not what I'm accustomed to from a car of this supposed quality. The salesman tried to tell me this car was built mostly by the Chrysler guys as an excuse. I ain't buying it. Cheap!

Last edited by Ice350; 02-21-05 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-21-05, 11:41 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

thats MB quality for ya...

CEO
Old 02-21-05, 11:41 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Just got home from a close look at the Benz CLS. I am absolutely shocked at what I saw. The fitment of body panels is horrible. For example....where the hood meets the front facia. There is a gap big enough to put your finger through. And worse, the gap was bigger on one side of the grill than the other. There were gaps where the window seams meet the body panels. The inside...where the door meets the B-pillar...gap big enough to put two fingers in. The interior feels cheap. Wood was not the same quality as the other models. Feels like a Chrysler inside...everything feels cheap. AND THIS IS AN $80K CAR!

Take a couple of steps back and it makes a wonderful presentation. Looks beautiful. But me...I wouldn't pay $25K for this car.

Had to add more. The way the door closes. No feeling of solidity or safeness. Felt cheap. The seats....not what I'm accustomed to from a car of this supposed quality. The salesman tried to tell me this car was built mostly by the Chrysler guys as an excuse. I ain't buying it. Cheap!
Maybe it was A lemon
Old 02-21-05, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ouch, man that sux.... seems like that's some horrible quailtiy control issue..
Old 02-21-05, 12:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I' ve never been impressed by the CLS all along, but surprised you felt the interior is cheap, I thought it's suppose to be a little more upscale than the E class from which it's based
Old 02-21-05, 01:15 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texan629
I think this thread is worthless without pics. You could just be another mb basher.
______

Ouch
Old 02-21-05, 01:16 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
ouch, man that sux.... seems like that's some horrible quailtiy control issue..

What else is new in Benz land
Old 02-21-05, 02:13 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw one the other day, looks pretty ok...but no GS430, seriously thought the onyl benz i like is the c230 kompressor sport, but thats me!

Old 02-21-05, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
i saw one the other day, looks pretty ok...but no GS430, seriously thought the onyl benz i like is the c230 kompressor sport, but thats me!

man even the sl and cl don't appeal to you?
Old 02-21-05, 03:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I took a look at the other cars in the showroom while there. The SL and CL seemed far and away better in build quality with the S coming next. After that, I'd take the C. All models had better interiors than the CLS. CLS has this dull looking fake wood. I asked for a better/different interior. They took me to a black one with blackwood. It also has no shine and was obviously not real wood. It wasn't even the best fake I've seen. The dash, the doors, the gaps....I'm telling you, it's not what I was expecting.
Old 02-21-05, 03:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
. . . CLS has this dull looking fake wood. I asked for a better/different interior. They took me to a black one with blackwood. It also has no shine and was obviously not real wood. It wasn't even the best fake I've seen. The dash, the doors, the gaps....I'm telling you, it's not what I was expecting.
I' ve not seen the CLS personally yet, but dull looking wood not neccessarily means fake, could it be the matte finish like the wood in the 7 series & the new M45 ?
Old 02-21-05, 04:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You know what guys, mom mother leases an 02 c240, let me tell you that my 1995 Sc300 is way more comfertable and feels more smoother while driving...
I could be a bit bias, but I never enjoyed my mothers car, even before the SC.
Old 02-21-05, 04:18 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man even the sl and cl don't appeal to you?

i;ve never been a benz fan, but something about the c230 sports sedan has something over me...but its only in this one color, its a grayish-bluish color and has the light gray interior and comes with nice 5-spoke 17's...that one particular benz i;d love to own, it's the best looking benz IMO other than a 91-95 black e-class coupe...those are my favortie benz!!!!
Old 02-21-05, 04:47 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB doesn't use fake wood...
Old 02-21-05, 05:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
MB doesn't use fake wood...
Whatever it is it doesn't look good nor feel good to the touch. The salesman didn't think it was real either.

Quick Reply: My review of the CLS