Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Altezza lights appreciation/props post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Default Altezza lights appreciation/props post!

I just wanted to start a post how the Altezza lights forever changed cars rear ends. From cars to SUVs to the aftermarket, this is one of the most imitated designs ever.

My favorite Altezza saying "Buy the whole car, not just the lights"!

Old 01-17-05, 05:39 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was truely a great design and idea when it came out on the is. Only a few other companies have successfully made some form of altezas stock that looked good, ie: nissan altima, rx-8, maybe a few others. But mostly it became a all too common mod on everything. Personally i like the cabon fiber altezas or anything with black in the backround instead of chrome, Those can be tasteful on the right application. It certainly has been a very popular imitation. Its nice to know that toyota designed the idea before anyone else.
Old 01-17-05, 06:32 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

everyone talks about lexus's not having their own style or lack of or whatever, but how many times have they been copied? off the top of my head, altezzas of course, rx300, tilt wheel, i think split headlights (not too sure though). most may disagree, but sometimes imo civics can pull off the altezza look, i would say the generation before the present one.
Old 01-17-05, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Yes, Toyota/Lexus gets knocked for no style but clearly, this is one time they started a trend. Even the Ford Lightning had them stock at one time! And even if some rear tails do not have a total Altezza look, some have added the trim to the lights. Like the new ES 330, the 5th generation MAxima had an Altezza surround, the Acura MDX and Chevy Equinox have an Altezza design now.

I don't think its a bad look. It has been abused by some of the aftermarket industry as Altezzas give people a sportier look or feel and looking at cars that have them, they either are sporty or marketing tries to fool you that they are.

Yeah to Altezzas!!

Old 01-18-05, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i think it's pretty amazing how toyota/lexus actually drives the industry. they got the gs with quad taillights, and you get cars to follow. the get the headlight styles, other brands follow. the first to integrate turn signals to headlights, other follows. and they got the altezza lights on the altezza, which is probably the biggest hit on the industry as a whole on cosmetic if you ask me.

but to be frank, it's a great influence, but probably not one that i am going to miss. i probably don't even want to see it happening in the beginning. the lights itself look cool on the altezza/is300, that's the car, cool. but now it's completely associated with complete rice, silly drivers who are trying to squeeze as many circles at the back of their taillights to make their car altezza king, this is just sad....

i hate it when people say "oh you got the is300? the one with the altezza headlights in the back right?" wtf? my car is the real altezza you punk.... but in terms of quotes, i love the one sick quoted most too, "get the damn car now, not the lights!"
Old 01-18-05, 11:45 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

I hate when people call them Euros
Theres no european car that i know of that ever had altezzas!
Old 01-18-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jhenty
I hate when people call them Euros
Theres no european car that i know of that ever had altezzas!
well they think everything cool as euro stuff?
Old 01-19-05, 09:20 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

trying to squeeze as many circles at the back of their taillights

ROFL; such a lively depiction!
Old 01-19-05, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by talgrl626
trying to squeeze as many circles at the back of their taillights

ROFL; such a lively depiction!
well i try

one time i see an accord with the whole rear section of the taillight (the previous gen coupe where it's all across) all altezza, must be like 20 circles at least