Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Range Rover Sport (new model SUV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Default 2006 Range Rover Sport (new model SUV)

Land Rover has released the first photographs of Range Rover Sport, a high performance vehicle optimized for fast, comfortable long-distance driving. The addition of Range Rover Sport marks the fifth nameplate for the brand and complements the flagship Range Rover.

Powered in top-line form by a supercharged 390hp 4.2-liter V8 engine, Range Rover Sport will deliver the highest degree of power ever available on a Land Rover model. A normally aspirated V8 engine option will also be available.

Excellent on-road dynamics are delivered through Land Rover's new Dynamic Response suspension system and performance-tuned chassis. The innovative system, making its debut on Range Rover Sport, senses cornering forces and acts to optimize body control and handling. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough all-terrain driving.

"Range Rover Sport takes us into the growing performance SUV market, but is different from all rivals," says Matthew Taylor of Land Rover. "We see it as a less frenetic, more refined alternative to existing performance SUVs. It is ideal for fast, comfortable, long-distance driving and practical enough for everyday use. Yet it is also exceptional off-road, offering better all-terrain ability than any competitor. Like all Land Rover products, it offers the broadest range of capability in its class."

With its aerodynamic and muscular exterior design, Range Rover Sport's stance is powerful and aggressive. The five-door body style with single-piece rear aluminum tailgate adds to the dynamic look and feel of the vehicle.

"It is the best driver's vehicle that Land Rover has ever made," adds Taylor. "There is the traditional Land Rover command driving position, yet the cockpit is more cocooning than the SUV norm."

Range Rover Sport will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January, and will be available in North America in summer of 2005.

Pricing and detailed specification will be announced closer to launch date, but is expected to fit between LR3 and Range Rover in the Land Rover product range.

Old 06-19-05, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

ALL of the Land Rovers and Range Rovers......including this one, no doubt, are great off-roaders......some of the best in the industry.....but have been quality and reliability nightmares, mostly electrical and hardware, even under BMW and Ford ownership. Land Rover has ranked last or near last among product nameplates in reliability, according to several sources.
People who want to spend this kind of money on a plush, luxurious true off-roader IMO need to look no further than the Lexus LX470 or Toyota Land Cruiser.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-05 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-05, 09:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The NAV system screams Denso/Fujitsu Ten software to me

but then again, it's a typical European car, prone to electrical failures...
Old 06-20-05, 10:39 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this a completely new model than the Range Rover HSE? Because if i remember at the autoshow, the original Range has an 86,000 sticker... this one is much much cheaper.
Old 06-20-05, 11:43 AM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Arent Range Rovers really horrible in their quality?
Old 06-20-05, 12:30 PM
flyfishman
Driver

About the only off-roading that thing will see is from the road to the driveway to the garage. Yet another look at me product from Range Rover.
Old 06-20-05, 01:51 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
I guess I should rephrase..

"I can't honestly see anyone choosing the GX or the Cayenne S over this truck."

To:
"I can see quite a few people picking this over the GX or Cayenne"

But... I wouldn't myself. I agree, RR hasn't exactly been a reliable product. Add to that a few first year issues and you might not be a very happy camper. My neighbor has had a Cayenne S for about a year now and it has been pretty solid. he had a minor issue with a switch on the back window, but besides that, he's happy. GX? Don't know any owners other than here. Seems like the early releases had a few complaints, seems to be all worked out now.
I'd get the Cayenne
Old 06-20-05, 04:57 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do believe this was based on it's concept version the Ranger Storm...of course it only had 2 doors lol.
Old 06-20-05, 05:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree with mmarshall, I'd still pick the GX over this, as for the Cayenne S . . .
Old 06-20-05, 07:14 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

notice the M-style fender inserts??? That's a pretty good look as far as sportiness. I would NEVER buy one , though.
Old 06-21-05, 12:22 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

390HP supercharged 4.2 liter ...

Are they "borrowing" that engine from Jag?

M.
Old 06-21-05, 05:08 AM
1ton
Driver

Originally Posted by whipimpin
390HP supercharged 4.2 liter ...

Are they "borrowing" that engine from Jag?

M.
To my understanding it is the jaguar engine.

I just test drove one yesterday and it is a SWEET ride. I am thinking about trading in my SC430 for it.
Old 06-21-05, 10:22 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I think looks pretty hot, but how fast is it?

Jeep is coming out with their Cherokee SRT8 and says it'll do 1/4 in mid 13s.
Old 06-21-05, 12:53 PM
1ton
Driver

Originally Posted by Chigga
I think looks pretty hot, but how fast is it?

Jeep is coming out with their Cherokee SRT8 and says it'll do 1/4 in mid 13s.
Well, I am not sure the 0-60 info but the engine is V8 4.4 300 horse. The supercharged is 390 horses. I know the car is pretty heavy though. Takes a great corner!
Old 06-21-05, 06:00 PM
LexFather

I am sure it will be unreliable as ever but there is no denying the appeal of this truck and the price is attractive. RR is a very hot brand now and this model will give them continued success.

I love their interiors. And they have done a fabulous job with the updated styling while looking OH SO Range Rover.

Quick Reply: 2006 Range Rover Sport (new model SUV)