Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Online Petition (11k signatures!) to get Bangle out of BMW for ugly cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 04:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Mike.....is it serious or isn't it?
You said in the first post that it was NOT a joke. Now you're saying it is. Henry felt it should go to the major newspapers.

While clearly not everyone agrees, it is obvious that the majority of us are behind you on this one.
No, its a real petition. What I meant is, I don't expect BMW to boot Bangle b/c of this petition.

Old 01-05-05, 07:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default bangle

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX] Some of us would like to one day own a BMW but it looks like we will be forced to buy the older, much better looking models.

Sorry sick but this is your opinion. SOme of us like the new designs. I like the old too but how long can you keep something bland but elegant and continue success. Sooner or later things had to change. I, for one am tired of seeing cookie cutter cars. The new BMW designs are bold statements of individuality and daring. I can't see how anyone can dislike the 645 but that's life, we're different. Your opinion doesn't bother me. I am slightly disappointed so many others here follow your lead because of the respect you carry. I respect your opinions too but that doesn't mean we have to agree on every topic. I may get flamed for this but it's my opinion...not meant to cause harm. Everytime you say how much you dislike Bangle....it's like the Pied Piper...people follow your lead and repeat what you say. It's all good, they're allowed to do that. It's a trip though.

For everyone else, if you disagree with me just say so. Don't get upset...I'm not. No biggee.
Old 01-05-05, 07:20 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=reggiek]
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some of us would like to one day own a BMW but it looks like we will be forced to buy the older, much better looking models.

Sorry sick but this is your opinion. SOme of us like the new designs. I like the old too but how long can you keep something bland but elegant and continue success. Sooner or later things had to change. I, for one am tired of seeing cookie cutter cars. The new BMW designs are bold statements of individuality and daring. I can't see how anyone can dislike the 645 but that's life, we're different. Your opinion doesn't bother me. I am slightly disappointed so many others here follow your lead because of the respect you carry. I respect your opinions too but that doesn't mean we have to agree on every topic. I may get flamed for this but it's my opinion...not meant to cause harm. Everytime you say how much you dislike Bangle....it's like the Pied Piper...people follow your lead and repeat what you say. It's all good, they're allowed to do that. It's a trip though.

For everyone else, if you disagree with me just say so. Don't get upset...I'm not. No biggee.
Its cool. Its not like they have sold 0 cars, so people clearly do like them.

Old 01-05-05, 07:21 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Instead, they put a gun to the designers head, held their ***** in a vice-grip and said "calm the hell down for christs sake". The new 3, now looks very evolutionary."
Chris Bangle did not design the new 3 series, he advised on it. If he wasn't advising at all it would look exactly like last year's car with jeweled headlights and 2 new color options .
Old 01-06-05, 02:31 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The new Bimmers are butt ugly. I have yet to see a 6 series in person so I won't comment on this model.

I don't need anyone to remind me how ugly these things (I call them things because in my humblest opinion, they don't even constitute cars anymore) are because I see them with my eyes everyday when I drive to work.

Frankly, the more I see them, the more my eyes hurt.

Why is BMW changing in such drastic ways? I don't see Jaguars losing their signature circular quad. headlights in places of Japanese or other European brand designs. I don't see Mercedes doing away with its signature triangular shaped taillights. I don't see newer Corvettes having square taillights. I don't see 911s getting angular body lines.

There are too many "I don't sees" to add to this list. Car manufacturers have traditionally changed their philosophical design only when it really SUCKS. Not when it's successful. Bangle is stupid even for giving a single advice on the design of any type of BMW produced since he joined.

I don't think things are going to change until Kia starts to outsell BMW.

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 01-06-05 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 04:30 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I gotta admit tho...I was in love with the e39 m5...and when the new 5 series came out...I was like ouch!! however..I guess the 6 series bimmer isnt so bad...but still I dont like how the styling of the new futuristic BMWs..
Old 01-06-05, 06:36 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by reggiek
I am slightly disappointed so many others here follow your lead because of the respect you carry. I respect your opinions too but that doesn't mean we have to agree on every topic. I may get flamed for this but it's my opinion...not meant to cause harm. Everytime you say how much you dislike Bangle....it's like the Pied Piper...people follow your lead and repeat what you say. It's all good, they're allowed to do that. It's a trip though.

Nah I don't think people is saying they don't like BMW just because of one respected persons opinion, I mean ya gotta give CL more credit then that, he just happen to express a very common opinion thats all. It would be like you saying all american cars are made cheap, how many people you think will disagree with you.

I personally don't like any of the latest BMW's the 6 series included and I see them everyday in fact the more I see them the more I try not to, they all are IMO out right ugly and I don't need anyone to tell me that. The 745i does look much better with a nice set of 22's though.

Last edited by Milla...; 01-06-05 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-06-05, 07:13 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Count me on board, guys.......I was only too happy to sign it.

Henry...if you want to forward the petition to the Washington Post it is http://www.washingtonpost.com. The Post's chief auto writer is a guy named Warren Brown.
I spy your addition to the petition ... Michael!

I swear 1/4 of the male population in America ....

At any rate - I signed too.

M.(ichael)
Old 01-06-05, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=I don't think things are going to change until Kia starts to outsell BMW.

Jon[/QUOTE]

That is a WHOLE lot closer than you think.
Old 01-06-05, 12:10 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Question for you guys:

How many people have to approve the final design on a car? Not a specific number, but is it Bangle, or him plus other designers and execs? Sick mentioned 5 people, but are there other people they have to get approvals from?

Btw, it should make no difference if Kia outsells BMW. Two different purchase levels. More people are able afford a Kia than a Bimmer.
Old 01-06-05, 09:51 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Im not going to sign it... I like his direction. I think the 7 is beautiful and i think that the 5 is as well. The 3 and the X3 still need some time, the 5, 6, 7 are all gorgeous!!!
Old 01-09-05, 09:07 AM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Question for you guys:

How many people have to approve the final design on a car? Not a specific number, but is it Bangle, or him plus other designers and execs? Sick mentioned 5 people, but are there other people they have to get approvals from?

Btw, it should make no difference if Kia outsells BMW. Two different purchase levels. More people are able afford a Kia than a Bimmer.
The whole board has to approve it.
Old 01-09-05, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I looked at both new Kias and new BMW's very closely at the Washington, D.C. Auto show last week. GONE are the days when Kia made junk.....trust me. Kia, of course, doesn't have features like BMW's Active Steering or advanced electronic safety controls ( or I-Drive either, fortunately), but, comparing the two makes side-by-side, BMW today, IMO, is a rip-off. Dollar-for-dollar (especially considering the average difference in price), the quality level on today's Kia product in things like fit-and-finish, paint, door solidness, care of assembly, etc.... FOR THE PRICE...far exceds BMW. Shut the door on a new 5-series and you get a tinny clink. Shut the door on all but the entry-level Kia Rio and you get a solid thunk.
Old 01-09-05, 01:04 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

I think the new bimmers are something that you have to see in person to appreciate......althought the 7 just doesnt look right to me no matter what.

I hated the 6 series when it came out but as soon as I saw I silver coupe in person I couldnt believe how nice it actually was. Even the 5 series grew on me immediately after I saw it and that is coming from someone who would kill for a previous gen. m5.

His designs are extremely different and I understand why people hate what he does but in time they are going to be considered the best looking cars again as soon as the designs catch on a little bit
Old 01-09-05, 01:30 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I would find the person responsible for the interiors and fire them. I've always like the new 7 and the 5 has finally grown on me - but when I sit in either of those vehicles, they seem so bland. I want buttons damnit, and lots of them. Seriously, as a "driver" I look at the interior of the car more than the exterior.

Quick Reply: Online Petition (11k signatures!) to get Bangle out of BMW for ugly cars.