Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

battle of the interiors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 10:21 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battle of the interiors

I got these pics off ebay, so hopefully they'll last a week or so

STS -

Old 01-03-05, 10:22 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-03-05, 10:24 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

old 5series

Old 01-03-05, 10:26 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

the new clutter-free 5er

Old 01-03-05, 10:27 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-03-05, 10:28 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-03-05, 10:40 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

after spending an hour looking at car pics, I'm going to bed.
sorry the battle has ended...we all know GS > Eclass,5er,RL,M45, and the A6
i've been drinking too much
Old 01-04-05, 12:12 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Ok I think the new 5 series is pretty sad. I've never really seen/looked at one on the inside and this is a shocking discovery. The sickening angles on the dash look like they could impale someone and is it me or is the nav screen so far inset that it would almost be hidden from the driver???

In addition to that, the new door style present on this as well as the new Benzes with the high arching curves putting the window controls at such an angle seems counter-intuitive and difficult to reach.

The Caddy isn't too bad IMO, it has some plastic and the wood's a funny shade but they have an across-the-board style that I can stomach much easier than anything new from BMW.

James
Old 01-04-05, 01:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the new 5 is just sad that's for sure. the seats are the only thing that i kinda like. the new gs is just plain awesome. the new m45 isn't bad too. the new rl i really don't dig it much. the e class i kinda like it actaully, but the dash is way too busy
Old 01-04-05, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
Ok I think the new 5 series is pretty sad. I've never really seen/looked at one on the inside and this is a shocking discovery. The sickening angles on the dash look like they could impale someone and is it me or is the nav screen so far inset that it would almost be hidden from the driver???

The Caddy isn't too bad IMO, it has some plastic and the wood's a funny shade but they have an across-the-board style that I can stomach much easier than anything new from BMW.

James

I've done several write-ups on the new 5's so I won't add a great deal here, but the old one will blow the new one away not only in looks but in solidness and quality as well.....and without I-Drive.
The D.C show had old and new ones side-by-side and the difference IMO was astounding.

I also agree on the STS. Its classy wood-paneled interior, IMO is what the CTS SHOULD have gotten two years ago and didn't. ( still doesn't ). Cadillac asked me back then to be part of a CTS marketing survey panel and I told them at the time that the CTS was too plain-looking inside.
Old 01-04-05, 04:31 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

After seeing these pictures, I appreciate our GS even more.
Another note I like to point out is the emergency hand brake vs. the footbrake. Don't know the pros for the handbrake unless you want to pull on it hard and do a spin-around-park. I like the footbrake as in the GS and caddy b/c it frees up space to allow for other useful space.

That STS resembles too closely to the CTS....it's suppose to be the flagship!..do we have a "disappointed" smiley ?
Old 01-04-05, 04:45 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Caddy's interior just LOOKS impossibly cheap, especially the steering wheel. The pics would stop me from even taking a look at it.
Old 01-04-05, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Another note I like to point out is the emergency hand brake vs. the footbrake. Don't know the pros for the handbrake unless you want to pull on it hard and do a spin-around-park. I:
A handbrake has two advantages. One, with a handbrake, it is generally easier to tell when the cable is starting to stretch or loosen up with wear and need tightening....you can feel the tightness or looseness with your hand as you pull it up, and if the car is rolling backwards or forward when it should be locked still.
Two, with a conventional manual transmission, unless you have a Hill-Holder clutch like on some Subarus, a handbrake can be useful for preventing the car from rolling back when starting from a stop uphill. You keep the handle pulled up as you move your right foot to the brake to the accelerator to give it some gas before you let out the clutch. Then, just as the clutch engages, you let the handle go. It is difficult and awkward.....almost impossible....to do this with a foot-pedal emergency brake.
Old 01-04-05, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I really liked the old STS interior. This new one seems a step back for such an expensive car. The old 5 is classic. And believe it or not, the new 5 interior has grown tons on me. Sad the materials are so cheap (go sit in one). I just like how the dash curves and is kind of avante garde to me.

Old 01-04-05, 09:40 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

this thread isn't complete if the E-class isn't invited

old eclass 1996-2002

Quick Reply: battle of the interiors