Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thinking about a snow season car...99 Cadillac Seville...opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-05, 06:18 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a snow season car...99 Cadillac Seville...opinions needed

I have been looking for an inexpensive vehicle to drive during the winter. The seville has 300 hp, heated seats, front wheel drive, and rather inexpensive. Have any of you guys/gals had any experience w/ a cadillac? I have not. I have been looking at reviews but would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-05, 07:49 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Easily my favorite last generation Cadillac. I like the exterior styling more than the others, and the Northstar is a smooth powerful V8. I'm not a fan of FWD but if that's something you like or are looking for then it makes the car even more fitting. The interior, while not atrocious still has a feeling of American cheapness that's hard to explain. Reliability for Cadillacs is good as well, it was number 2 to Lexus a few years ago so that would have to encompass the model year 99. I say go for it if you can get a good deal and if its in good shape.
Old 01-02-05, 10:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Since you mentioned the 300 HP Northstar, I take it this is a 1999 Seville STS, right ? (The SLS has 275 HP).
I agree with Jim that the Northstar is a nice engine.....smooth and powerful.....and that the front-wheel-drive (torque steer notwithstanding) is a good setup for winter traction, especially with that heavy front end and all that weight on the drive wheels.. But I disagree on some other points. The Seville interior....especially the STS, IMO was one of the best-looking American interiors available at the time, though Jim is right that the hardware, like most American products, was a little cheap, and fit-and-finish could be better.
Consumer Reports, which I consider the best source available on auto reliability, gave all of the Cadillacs of the late 1990's well-below-average ratings. The Northstar has a tendency to burn a lot of oil, and I noticed on these cars that trim is not well-applied and often works loose. Rattles and squeaks are common. Paint is OK but not up to Japanese luxury-car-standards.
Kelly Blue Book lists a 1999 STS retail at $14,000-15,000....depending on mileage and condition.
Unless you specifically want the power of a big American V8 and the Seville's smooth, quiet ride, (a little smoother in the SLS than STS due to suspension and tires), my advice for a good snow car would be to spend the same or a little more and get a new or nearly new Subaru AWD. Brand-new AWD Imprezas start around $18,000...less with incentives. Generally with Subarus, the newer the better....some older ones had weak head gaskets, especially the 2.5 engine, but 2-3 year old ones are usually OK.....about what a 1999 STS would cost. You mentioned you liked heated seats.....Outbacks have had them standard for several years. Subaru makes superb and well-proven AWD systems...easily the best ones on the market in the under-$30,000 range.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-05 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 11:43 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't mind little glitches here and there, buying a used Cadillac is a good way to own a luxury car for cheap.

We bought a brand new DeVille in 1990 and still drive it once in a while nowadays. It does not have the Northstar engine (which came out in 1993) as the latter models do but as many other Cadillac models, it's FWD and is comfortable as hell.

The seats are virtually like water beds and the interior is nothing but roomy. Nothing from Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW can ever make me feel more comfortable as a passenger than the Caddy.

Even with only 180hp and 245lbs of torque via a 4.5 V8, it's plenty fast. I have no idea how it happened, but it's beaten plenty of cars from a dead/rolling start before. Including a Taurus SHO, and my modified 325is (which has no power in the low end whatsoever).

With 290hp+, the Northstar is obviously a more refined engine. I can imagine the STS being an *** kicker on the freeway without a doubt.

Jon
Old 01-03-05, 12:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, like you say, a used FWD Caddy would make a comfortable snow car. Would it be the best snow car for the money? Not IMO.
Old 01-03-05, 11:16 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Many electrical 'gremlins' with the STS & major problems with the Northstar engine even to get at a moderate oil leak. Does one really need a 300 hp FWD car for a 'winter' driver? I had the STS on my short list when I bought my 2001 ES.......my mechanic steered me way clear of laying down my cash for that car as he said he would have to build my own private waiting room after the car was out of warranty. That's how you know you have a trustworthy mechanic.....because if he was a scam artist, he would have suggested I get the Caddy & put lots of cash in his pocket for future repairs. Surely there are much better 'luxury' choices out there.
Old 01-04-05, 07:13 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

Im driving a 99 STS for the winter right now and I love the car. It does have a lot of eletrical issues occasionally, but nothing that prevents the car from running. Mine has 78k miles on it now and no problems. The engine and tranny are very reliable and should be nothing to worry about. Check the consumer reports rating on it. The engine and tranny are above average for reliability but the electrical is below. It is a great car, possibly too much power for snow, but thats something you can live with. I paid $7600 for mine at a dealer auction so you can easily find them for a good price. I would recommend it as long as you plan on getting a clean, well maintained one. The problems i have had so far are only a heated seat and a tailight bulb. PM me if you want to know anything else.
Old 01-05-05, 04:39 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhenty
Im driving a 99 STS for the winter right now and I love the car. It does have a lot of eletrical issues occasionally, but nothing that prevents the car from running. Mine has 78k miles on it now and no problems. The engine and tranny are very reliable and should be nothing to worry about. Check the consumer reports rating on it. The engine and tranny are above average for reliability but the electrical is below. It is a great car, possibly too much power for snow, but thats something you can live with. I paid $7600 for mine at a dealer auction so you can easily find them for a good price. I would recommend it as long as you plan on getting a clean, well maintained one. The problems i have had so far are only a heated seat and a tailight bulb. PM me if you want to know anything else.
Thanks for all the replies I know its not the most practical snow vehicle. ...but i kinda still want a near luxury car. For the current price, i havent seen anything else in the range. I have seen several 99 sts's go for around 11-13000. That is perfect price range for me. I have heard about the issues w/ electric components...but im hoping that i get a good one Thanks!

jhenty..i will send a pm