Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have to replace all 4 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 12:24 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to replace all 4 tires?

I just went to America's Tire. i wanted to replace the 2 front tires on my cousins audi a4 quattro but they told me they can't just replace 2 tires. Said they had to replace all 4 cuz its quattro and blah blah blah. WTF! if this is the case, quattro sucks. never heard of this kinda bull b 4.

Last edited by CarlssonLS400; 12-31-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 01:08 PM
Dan H
Driver School Candidate

Just replace either the front or rear tires if they worn with the same make tire/size. Sure its "Quattro" AWD but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to replace all 4. Only if all the tires are worn. No point in replacing tires that are in good shape right?
Old 12-31-04, 01:17 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. You have to replace tires, at the very least, in pairs front or rear, but you don't have to replace all four unless they are all worn.
Old 12-31-04, 01:26 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i think they are full of it. replacing the front 2 should be enough. having to replace all 4 is a bit much.

im about to debadge the "quattro" emblem just in case. haha
Old 12-31-04, 03:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Go to audiworld.com I think thats it, replacing all 4 tires is very common, pisses many owners off when they only need 1 tire and they gotta buy 4
Old 12-31-04, 05:21 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by CarlssonLS400
I just went to America's Tire. i wanted to replace the 2 front tires on my cousins audi a4 quattro but they told me they can't just replace 2 tires. Said they had to replace all 4 cuz its quattro and blah blah blah. WTF! if this is the case, quattro sucks. never heard of this kinda bull b 4.
How badly worn are the other 2 tires?
Old 12-31-04, 05:35 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are right, You have to replace all 4.Very little difference in tire size (new vs. old )may do damage to quattro.
Old 12-31-04, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H
Just replace either the front or rear tires if they worn with the same make tire/size. Sure its "Quattro" AWD but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to replace all 4. Only if all the tires are worn. No point in replacing tires that are in good shape right?
What I am told by the local VW / Subaru service shop ( VW 4-Motion uses the same system as the Audi Quattro) is that you MUST have the same size tires on all four wheels, with approximately the same amount of wear. The key is the outside rolling diameter. If all four tires don't roll at the same RPM, it puts a stress on the front, center, and rear differentials. AWD systems are designed to allow for wheel slippage and varying speeds among the 4 drive wheels, but not continuously. If you have one or more tires that don't match the others in exact outside diameter (and remember that a worn tire has smaller diameter) it continually forces the differentials to compensate, and significantly shortens the differential life by heating them up. The same goes for Subaru AWD's and for any vehicle with a center differential. That is one reason why AWD vehicles are exempt from the roller-emissions tests and are done only with the tailpipe probe......with two wheels spinning and the other two standing still, the rollers can ruin the drivetrain.

So...in a nutshell....you MAY get away with not replacing all four tires (depending on how worn the old ones are), but in general it is not a good idea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-04 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 05:56 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
How badly worn are the other 2 tires?

not badly worn at all. and the ones i want to replace are not due to wear but to damage.
Old 12-31-04, 06:13 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If You gonna replace only two tires make sure they are same brand and model as old tires. Outside rolling diameter vary from brand to brand even with the same tire size.
Old 12-31-04, 06:30 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for all the tips guys. i think i might just put on 4 new kumhos. 4 new kumhos is only a little more than the price for 2 new dunlops (which i would have to do to match the rear tires)

crap like this makes me love my lex that much more

Last edited by CarlssonLS400; 12-31-04 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

thanks for all the tips guys. i think i might just put on 4 new kumhos.
A wise move.
Old 12-31-04, 07:18 PM
Dan H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What I am told by the local VW / Subaru service shop ( VW 4-Motion uses the same system as the Audi Quattro) is that you MUST have the same size tires on all four wheels, with approximately the same amount of wear. The key is the outside rolling diameter. If all four tires don't roll at the same RPM, it puts a stress on the front, center, and rear differentials. AWD systems are designed to allow for wheel slippage and varying speeds among the 4 drive wheels, but not continuously. If you have one or more tires that don't match the others in exact outside diameter (and remember that a worn tire has smaller diameter) it continually forces the differentials to compensate, and significantly shortens the differential life by heating them up. The same goes for Subaru AWD's and for any vehicle with a center differential. That is one reason why AWD vehicles are exempt from the roller-emissions tests and are done only with the tailpipe probe......with two wheels spinning and the other two standing still, the rollers can ruin the drivetrain.

So...in a nutshell....you MAY get away with not replacing all four tires (depending on how worn the old ones are), but in general it is not a good idea.
Yes, I KNOW about the system and how its setup. That is why in my first reply, I told the guy to replace the tires with the SAME "tire/size." I only recommended that if a pair of tires aren't worn in the first place, theres no point in replacing them. If the same make tire and correctly sized tire is used in the first place, there will be no problems.

Of course if both pairs of front/rear tires show questionable wear, then they should be replaced altogether.

Last edited by Dan H; 12-31-04 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

crap like this makes me love my lex that much more
You will have the same issues with the new AWD sedans Lexus is introducing.
Old 12-31-04, 08:42 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i try to replace all 4, i don't like to hear my ABS activating at every stop.

Quick Reply: Have to replace all 4 tires?