Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well i got my first ticket .... anyone know about driving school?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 03:32 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well i got my first ticket .... anyone know about driving school?

Yep, yall read it right .... i finally got caught after 4 years of speeding. i was driving home about a week ago and i just passed a slow moving truck right before a hill. i was coasting down to 70 mph and i saw the officer whip around from the other lane and flip on his lights. The officer cited me for doing 21 miles over the speed limit (76 in 55). Anyways, the ticket is going to cost me 129 dollars but i dont really care that i have to pay the ticket since i have deserved tickets many times. But i want to know if their is any way to keep this off my record so my insurance doesnt rip me a new one lol ... i have heard that if you get a ticket driving school is an option but i dont what im suppose to do to get in driving school. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks LexusFiend
Old 12-21-04, 04:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what state are you in? (not sure if it's really alabama or not)

usually when the ticket comes in and you go and pay for it, you have the option of going to traffic school
Old 12-21-04, 04:19 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I heard about some loophole in my state (SC) that if you write a check for $5.00 over the charge, they will mail you a refund check...And they will not process the ticket until/unless you cash the refund check...So...Just don't cash the refund check.
Old 12-21-04, 04:49 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
I heard about some loophole in my state (SC) that if you write a check for $5.00 over the charge, they will mail you a refund check...And they will not process the ticket until/unless you cash the refund check...So...Just don't cash the refund check.
Hmm, never heard of that. Have you actually talked to someone this happened to or you just heard it around?
Old 12-21-04, 04:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
Hmm, never heard of that. Have you actually talked to someone this happened to or you just heard it around?
LOL... A friend of mine found this loophole on some forum dedicated to dismissing tickets. Gave it a try and it worked like a charm. What a rigid procedure the traffic department computer systems follow. He and I are in California though.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-21-04 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wantAnewLex
I'd be careful doing this. That may only work until the void date on the check....then it is no longer valid. Then the state may either be legally able to process the ticket OR tap into his checking account and electronically deduct the money like some utilties do every month. I say MAY because, admittedly, I don't know this for a fact.....check with a lawyer. But it would make sense because, legally, if the state has a lien on anything you own, they can tap into it and take it. And...in most states, you cannot register your car unless ALL fines and taxes have been paid.

On a more humorous note, Lexus Fiend, if you want to see a couple of smiles, if / when the judge gives you the option of a driving school, tell him you'd like to go to Skip Barber.

And last, if it is your first speeding offense ( at least getting caught ) .....who knows? Ask the judge to just fine you and not put the points on your record. Maybe he / she will say OK........I've seen this done before. And, if you DO avoid points.....and even MORE if you DON'T........try to stay a little closer to the limit from now on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-04 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 07:06 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

I know of someone who has done the refund trick twice in less than a year, and it worked flawlessly. The only thing to watch out for is if the court calls you back, they may ask you to rewrite the check. I would recommend writing the check for at least $10 over, then if you get a call back, don't flat-out ask for the remainder but, imply that it would be easier. My friend lives in clalifornia.
Old 12-21-04, 09:44 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

doesnt work. I have a friend that I work with that tried this out. when he went to go renew his license, he found out it was suspended and there was a warrant out for the violation of not paying the ticket in full. Just do a Google search for an online traffice school. I did mine for $19 plus $5 for overnight on the certificate. but if you want to tripple the initial cost of the ticket, and maybe even taken to jail, be my guest.

Just pay it...
Old 12-21-04, 09:58 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hehe...

After 4 years of driving I got my first ticket too... 20 over too Oh well, will teach me not to speed again!
Old 12-21-04, 11:06 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
doesnt work. I have a friend that I work with that tried this out. when he went to go renew his license, he found out it was suspended and there was a warrant out for the violation of not paying the ticket in full.
When I read about that loophole - those are the first things that came to mind - license suspension and an arrest warrant.

Just scratch out Lexus GS on the ticket and put "Fiesta" and write the judge a love-letter. You'll be golden.

Good luck!

M.
Old 12-22-04, 10:23 AM
Fiya
Lead Lap

warrant out for the violation of not paying the ticket in full
What do you mean by this. With the loophole your are actually paying extra for the ticket. They still take your money they just send you the remainder. The only thing this should affect is the point on your record. The ticket will appear paid for but the point won't register until you cash the check.
I think you are confused with the different parties involved. The law is happy that you paid your ticket, and your insurance company is unaware of the ticket because no point shows up.
Old 12-22-04, 10:28 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by acidrool
What do you mean by this. With the loophole your are actually paying extra for the ticket. They still take your money they just send you the remainder. The only thing this should affect is the point on your record. The ticket will appear paid for but the point won't register until you cash the check.
I think you are confused with the different parties involved. The law is happy that you paid your ticket, and your insurance company is unaware of the ticket because no point shows up.
That makes a little more sense. However, it seems that the law enforcement agencies would be too clever not to realize this loophole.
Old 12-23-04, 07:50 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by acidrool

Not necessarily... Its a catch 22. basically what happens is when you over pay the ticket the transaction is not completed. so, unlike all these stories, the transactions remains open, but not paid in full. so 30 days comes around and your initial ticket still shows as not paid in full because you did not complete the initial transaction. so that means that you didn't comply with a court order. when that happens, they issue a warrant for your arrest and suspend the licensee that the ticket was received under. This all, of course, pertains to the state of Florida. What the kicker about all of this, is that the original amount then goes to a state charity in your name.

Im sorry, but for you guys think that this is a loop hole that the court systems haven't yet figured out about... let me ask you this: Do you think that NOT ONE of the employees of ANY court in the ENTIRE United States has access to any Internet and cant figure out the search function??

Last edited by Stage3; 12-23-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-26-04, 12:18 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

use BLOCKBUSTER's traffice school video!!