Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Avalon Spied in camo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 07:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by MPLexus301
Speculation and wishful thinking...yes. But there's also an aire of common sense and word of mouth about this. Last year I went to a Toyota Dealer Product meeting where they showed us concept sketches of the next Avalon, as well as confirmed a 3.5L 270HP V6 for the car. Do you really think that Lexus would let their ES, a more expensive, more prestigeous car, fodder on into it's next generation with 45 less HP than the Avalon? The ES may not get all of 270HP, but I think it's realistic to expect at least 260, and I'd also expect the car to use the new 3.5L V6. At the product meeting I attended, there was no discussion about any Lexus vehicles, but common sense would make one think that Lexus is entitied to the "meatier" peices of Toyota's warehouse- the best engines, the latest technologies, hybrid synergy drive, ect. Common sense would hint that Lexus will switch to the 3.5L V6, the best 6 cylinder Toyota will offer, while Toyota will use a mix of the 3.3L and 3.5L V6 in their products.

Presently, the ES and RX share the same engine, transmission, and mechanicals, so I'd expect that once the ES receives the 3.5L engine, the RX would get it shortly there after.

Why do you have to be so snide and rude in your comments?

-Michael-
Well I find it funny you would be one to contradict info from what Longo Lexus previously posted on another topic, but you share info as if you already know what's going to happen or perceive yourself to be Toyota Motor Corporation's news flasher.

As for the ES and RX sharing the same powertrain and etc, it's only obvious it would still be synonymous with it's Toyota labelmates, the Camry and the Highlander. In Japan, it's all Toyota so it's not gonna be surprising to see the same chassis and powertrains on different bodies. Toyota has done it for years, that's nothing new that a new powertrain will be used on more than one model. Currently, the ES and RX share the same 3MZ-FE V6 with the Solara V6 and the Camry SE V6 model specifically.

No one was being rude at all. Your info only stems to a simple Toyota dealer product meeting. If I recall, Georgia belongs to a dealership group distributor i.e. Toyota Southeast & Gulf States Toyota...not Toyota Motor Sales, specifically? Regardless, there were posts that were made in previous threads that you didn't agree on, but the information came from a very credible source. My argument is, why do you post information as if you know it better than the real professionals themselves?
Old 09-29-04, 11:36 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw previous spy pics a few months ago.....dosen't it look like a very large Prius?
Old 09-29-04, 12:22 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by Attila
Mike, what are your thoughts on the output power of the new GS430? If the new GS3 does get the 280hp V-6, what would the incentive be to buy the 300-hp V8? (well, assuming 280hp as that is what was stated in original post)
Lexus HAS to bump it. It already is underrated. If the new GS has 280hp, Lexus has to bump the V-8 to the 340hp mark or so, ala Infiniti. The manual G35s have 298hp
At least we will have a transmission to make it work like its supposed to

300hp was a BIG DEAL 7 years ago when the 2nd gen GS debuted. It will be 8 years later and 300hp is now a walk in the park with tons of carmakers.

Flipside, Longo is not correct. We have no published proof yet. And I find it funny your supporting him when dealers get such a bad rap for their info.

MPLexus is stating his thoughts. He may be wrong or right like the rest of us.

Old 09-29-04, 01:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Flipside, Longo is not correct. We have no published proof yet. And I find it funny your supporting him when dealers get such a bad rap for their info.

MPLexus is stating his thoughts. He may be wrong or right like the rest of us.
Based on this info, no one is correct until the information is formally published from Toyota Motor Sales, USA and Lexus. Not a JM Family Enterprises, 3rd party dealership info meet. Longo does get their info straight from TMS and Lexus in Torrance through the University of Toyota program at the headquarters. FYI. Check your PM.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-29-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 01:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the meeting, in St. Louis last September, had nothing to do with SET or JM Family Enterprises. The meet was strictly about the future vehicles we'd see from Toyota and then some national dealer talk about goals and such.

1SickLex- I don't think we'll see the GS come out with 280HP, as this new 3.5L V6 has probably been created for FWD/FWD biased applications (which is what the new Avalon will be. It's going to ride on a stretched Camry chassis- the same one that the new Sienna uses). I'm pretty sure we'll see the 3.0L DI V6 with 245HP/228 lb-ft of torque, but it sure would be nice to see them throw in just another 10-15HP...even if just for competition's sake.

-Michael-
Old 09-29-04, 02:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Actually the meeting, in St. Louis last September, had nothing to do with SET or JM Family Enterprises. The meet was strictly about the future vehicles we'd see from Toyota and then some national dealer talk about goals and such.

1SickLex- I don't think we'll see the GS come out with 280HP, as this new 3.5L V6 has probably been created for FWD/FWD biased applications (which is what the new Avalon will be. It's going to ride on a stretched Camry chassis- the same one that the new Sienna uses). I'm pretty sure we'll see the 3.0L DI V6 with 245HP/228 lb-ft of torque, but it sure would be nice to see them throw in just another 10-15HP...even if just for competition's sake.

-Michael-
Michael, do you work for a SET dealership? And if so, which one? As for info from last year, it's not current. (you remind me of this kid that would get info from his dad who's some SET employee.

FYI, the Avalon riding on a stretched Camry chassis isn't anything new. It's been that way since it's inception in 1995.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-29-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 02:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
Michael, do you work for a SET dealership? And if so, which one? As for info from last year, it's not current. (you remind me of this kid that would get info from his dad who's some SET employee.

FYI, the Avalon riding on a stretched Camry chassis isn't anything new. It's been that way since it's inception in 1995.
I don't actually work for a dealership, I work for SET. The information from last year dealt with the vehicles from that point, all the way to the next product meeting which is at the middle of next month. They showed us the new Avalon, told us it would be powered by a 3.5L V6, and some minor, vague details about the next Tundra. This october, we should see the prototypes for the next Tundra as well as the Camry and Highlander, and the production Avalon.

I know the Avalon is based on the Camry platform, and it always has been. I made that comment to show that since the new 3.5L V6 is going to be put into the FWD Avalon, it probably will not be suitable for RWD vehicles.

-Michael-
Old 09-29-04, 03:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I don't actually work for a dealership, I work for SET. The information from last year dealt with the vehicles from that point, all the way to the next product meeting which is at the middle of next month. They showed us the new Avalon, told us it would be powered by a 3.5L V6, and some minor, vague details about the next Tundra. This october, we should see the prototypes for the next Tundra as well as the Camry and Highlander, and the production Avalon.

I know the Avalon is based on the Camry platform, and it always has been. I made that comment to show that since the new 3.5L V6 is going to be put into the FWD Avalon, it probably will not be suitable for RWD vehicles.

-Michael-
Well i dunno if you've considered this, but it looks like Toyota would ponder the idea of a modular V6 (i.e. Nissan VQ35) for FWD and RWD applications. The modular engine idea is nothing new. It was done with the older legendary 4A & 3S series of engines (i.e. 4A-FE/GE 3S-FE/GE/GTE). Definitely a cost effective solution.

Last edited by flipside909; 09-29-04 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 03:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it would be cost effective, but Lexus just came up with a brand new, direct injection V-6 for their next generation GS, and I'd imagine, IS. I'd think that they would want to use that engine as much as possible, but if there was a situation where they couldn't, or where it didn't work with a certain platform (probably FWD based vehicles like the ES and RX), I'd imagine that they'd use the 3.5L V6 from Toyota.

-Michael-
Old 09-29-04, 04:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yes it would be cost effective, but Lexus just came up with a brand new, direct injection V-6 for their next generation GS, and I'd imagine, IS. I'd think that they would want to use that engine as much as possible, but if there was a situation where they couldn't, or where it didn't work with a certain platform (probably FWD based vehicles like the ES and RX), I'd imagine that they'd use the 3.5L V6 from Toyota.

-Michael-
Well the old rumor was the 3.5 V6 from the new IS would also be used in the Camry and Solara.
Old 09-29-04, 04:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus direct injection V6, and Toyota's new 3.5L V6 will be different engines in about every aspect, aside from the fact that they share the same displacement.

-Michael-
Old 09-29-04, 04:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Lexus direct injection V6, and Toyota's new 3.5L V6 will be different engines in about every aspect, aside from the fact that they share the same displacement.

-Michael-
Well until Toyota Motor Corp via TMS, gives an official press release (Not GST or SET), we will assume this Lexus direct injection engine is really a Toyota direct injection engine with the same displacement.
Old 09-29-04, 07:25 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
What ever happened to this Avalon concept (below)? A month or two ago this was said to be a preview
of the Avalon. I'm glad it won't be though! The new spy shots are completely different from this.
I'm glad that's not the car we'll be seeing. It looks crappier than the current Altima.

M.
Old 09-30-04, 07:27 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a 1997 Toyota Avalon before....i would definately purchase another one.....this is a nice improvement..i can't wait to see the official info.
Old 10-01-04, 05:32 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
I've had a 1997 Toyota Avalon before....i would definately purchase another one.....this is a nice improvement..i can't wait to see the official info.
GS4fun

You just have to wonder where they will price a loaded Avalon. I should come close to the price of a ES 330.

Also I noticed that you have a 2002 BMW 745Li. I hear a lot of complaints about that model year, are you having any problems with yours?

Quick Reply: 2006 Avalon Spied in camo