Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Avalon Spied in camo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 06:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by MPLexus301
It's just speculation at this point, but it is possible.
But all the info you have posted are simply speculation. Not qualified information from real sources.
Old 09-28-04, 10:49 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new direct injection V-6 has been developed specifically for Lexus, RWD vehicles and will come in 2.5L, 3.0L and 3.5L variants, ranging from 210HP up to nearly 300HP. Toyota's new 3.5L V-6 is geared specifically for application in FWD/AWD Toyotas and Lexuses. This will be the only engine availble in the Avalon, but expect it to be the V6 for:
-2007 Highlander V-6 ( A 4cylinder will still be available)
-2007 Camry SE V6 (expect the LE and XLE to use the 3.3L V6 [230HP] and the SE to use the new 3.5L V6 [255-265HP]. The next SE will also probably offer AWD, along with the Avalon.
-2007 Lexus ES350 (new model)
-2008 Solara V6 (a 4cylinder will still be offered)
-2007 RX350 (refresh)

Something to consider though: Toyota has been working with the state of Kentucky to get a tax break to "retool" their Georgetown plant in order to produce an unspecified number of RWD vehicles (no, I'm not kidding you). If this plan does go into affect, expect the next Avalon (after the car pictured here, so we're looking at 2010 or 2011, next Solara, ES, and RX (2007-2008) to switch to a new RWD platform. It's just speculation at this point, but it is possible. The Highlander, Sienna and Camry would continue to use the camry platform, and the RX, ES, Solara and Avalon would switch to the RWD platform.

-Michael-
Michael,
Where are you getting your information from? There are no plans for the ES or Rx to switch to a rear wheel drive platform nor to be built locally. The ES has been a consistent seller in our Lexus lineup since 1990. I don't think Lexus would change such a strong selling model. And they are 330's now, don't know if it'll change to 350 or not. No one can confirm this.
Old 09-28-04, 11:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
Michael,
Where are you getting your information from? There are no plans for the ES or Rx to switch to a rear wheel drive platform nor to be built locally. The ES has been a consistent seller in our Lexus lineup since 1990. I don't think Lexus would change such a strong selling model. And they are 330's now, don't know if it'll change to 350 or not. No one can confirm this.
It's called speculation and wishful thinking. There's no hard evidence to back those erroneous claims of his.
Old 09-28-04, 11:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Something to consider though: Toyota has been working with the state of Kentucky to get a tax break to "retool" their Georgetown plant in order to produce an unspecified number of RWD vehicles (no, I'm not kidding you).
Why would the state of Kenucky provide Toyota a tax break to build a RWD vehicle in the TMMK plant? That's like saying they would give Toyota a tax break if they were to make an unspecified number of yellow painted cars. (yes, you're kidding yourself since alot of the info you just posted is not official or even credible info from a credible source).
Old 09-28-04, 11:28 AM
mclaren
Rookie

Originally posted by magneto112
Hmmmm...this was posted on another site. This is what it might look like, but if you look closely, the lower bumper is a little bit different than the spy pic. But everything else is just about right. Basically the same car with very little differences. This car is just beautiful. So elegent.

O I think this is a Crown Majesta or something like that.
These pics make the Avalon look like a Hyundai XG 300 or whatever its called.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ga...&src=VIP&tab=3

Last edited by mclaren; 09-28-04 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-28-04, 12:04 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally posted by msilverIS
The front doesn't look bad at all! But what's with that steering wheel from Pontiac?
The front end look like the M45 to me. The design engineers must be kin.
Old 09-28-04, 12:33 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mclaren
These pics make the Avalon look like a Hyundai XG 300 or whatever its called.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ga...&src=VIP&tab=3
That is not the new Avalon. Its the Toyota Crown Majesta - a $45k - $55k car not sold here.
Look in here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=majesta

Last edited by BrickHead; 09-28-04 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-28-04, 12:47 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
I don't think it looks too bad at all, a BIG improvement over the current one (we get an old school looking thing here in Australia )

I still wish this was brought into the country though.
My soul = OWN3D by MarkII
Old 09-28-04, 01:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by magneto112
Hmmmm...this was posted on another site. This is what it might look like, but if you look closely, the lower bumper is a little bit different than the spy pic. But everything else is just about right. Basically the same car with very little differences. This car is just beautiful. So elegent.

O I think this is a Crown Majesta or something like that.

that's the crown MJ and it's the flagship ( i know century is the flagship for toyota in JDM market but it doesnt count ) sedan from Toyota motor. there is no way in hell that next avalon gonnna be a crown mj. crown mj came with V8 rwd and avalon is FWD V6.

but toyota need to bring crown over to the united states. forget about avalon
Old 09-28-04, 01:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
That is not the new Avalon. Its the Toyota Crown Majesta - a $45k - $55k car not sold here.
Look in here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=majesta
Sorry about that folk. I guess I worded it wrong. What I ment to say is that, the Avalon might have styling cues taken from the Majesta. I truely didnt mean that the Majesta was going to be the next Avalon. If you put the Camo. pic next to the pic that I posted of the Majesta, you will see similarities in the overall shape of the car. You can also see the lines going down the side are very similar, window treatment, grill shape, the dual tailpipes, maybe the headlights, and even the trunklid in the camo are very similar. What I can see that is different is the lower bumper, foglight housings, and maybe the shape of the rearlights. Basically, I am expecting the overall shape of the car with different front and rear ends. These pics also display how big the car is going to be. Sorry for my mix up.

Oh, and I heard about that tax break thing somewhere else too, I beleive from a person who said that they work at the factory in Georgetown or wherever Camrys are made.
Old 09-28-04, 01:58 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I kind of agree. I thought Lexus said or we heard that the RWD Lexus cars get a different engine.
Mike, what are your thoughts on the output power of the new GS430? If the new GS3 does get the 280hp V-6, what would the incentive be to buy the 300-hp V8? (well, assuming 280hp as that is what was stated in original post)

Last edited by Davtown; 09-28-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-28-04, 04:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

What ever happened to this Avalon concept (below)? A month or two ago this was said to be a preview
of the Avalon. I'm glad it won't be though! The new spy shots are completely different from this.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Avalon Spied in camo-avalon.jpg  
Old 09-28-04, 04:12 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

I think it's fairly accurate for a CGI.
Old 09-28-04, 06:46 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
My soul = OWN3D by MarkII
You must liek them too I think they're trying to get the RAWS compliance for these to come into the country... wonder how much they'd go for here
Old 09-28-04, 07:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
It's called speculation and wishful thinking. There's no hard evidence to back those erroneous claims of his.
Speculation and wishful thinking...yes. But there's also an aire of common sense and word of mouth about this. Last year I went to a Toyota Dealer Product meeting where they showed us concept sketches of the next Avalon, as well as confirmed a 3.5L 270HP V6 for the car. Do you really think that Lexus would let their ES, a more expensive, more prestigeous car, fodder on into it's next generation with 45 less HP than the Avalon? The ES may not get all of 270HP, but I think it's realistic to expect at least 260, and I'd also expect the car to use the new 3.5L V6. At the product meeting I attended, there was no discussion about any Lexus vehicles, but common sense would make one think that Lexus is entitied to the "meatier" peices of Toyota's warehouse- the best engines, the latest technologies, hybrid synergy drive, ect. Common sense would hint that Lexus will switch to the 3.5L V6, the best 6 cylinder Toyota will offer, while Toyota will use a mix of the 3.3L and 3.5L V6 in their products.

Presently, the ES and RX share the same engine, transmission, and mechanicals, so I'd expect that once the ES receives the 3.5L engine, the RX would get it shortly there after.

Why do you have to be so snide and rude in your comments?

-Michael-

Quick Reply: 2006 Avalon Spied in camo