Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California regulators approve world's toughest auto emissions rules

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 06:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default California regulators approve world's toughest auto emissions rules

California regulators approve world's toughest auto emissions rules

By TIM MOLLOY / Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES -- California air regulators Friday unanimously approved the world’s most stringent rules to reduce auto emissions that contribute to global warming -- a move that could affect car and truck buyers from coast to coast.

Under the regulations, the auto industry must cut exhaust from cars and light trucks by 25 percent and from larger trucks and sport utility vehicles by 18 percent. The industry will have until 2009 to begin introducing cleaner technology, and will have until 2016 to meet the new exhaust standards.

The move by the California Air Resources Board came despite vigorous opposition from auto industry officials, who argued that the board did not have the authority to adopt such sweeping regulations and that they could not be met by current technology.

The industry has threatened to challenge the regulations in court. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has expressed support for the proposals and has pledged to fight any such lawsuits.

Schwarzenegger’s environmental protection secretary, Terry Tamminen, said that California should do its part to reduce pollution.

“We can make it clear that yes, we understand that our contribution, no matter how large or small, makes a difference,” Tamminen said. “Every single action that we take -- or inaction -- makes a difference.”

Heat-trapping greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide are believed by many scientists to contribute to global warming.

Automakers will be required to reduce emissions by way of such innovations as better air conditioners, more efficient transmissions and smaller engines.

Automakers argued that the regulations would raise new vehicle costs as much as $3,000. But the agency’s staff disputed that and said the cost would top out at about $1,000 per vehicle by 2016.

Gloria J. Bergquist, a spokeswoman for the industry trade group Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, said no decision has been made on whether to challenge the regulations in court.

Bergquist said introducing the technology would be “almost as complicated as developing the first automobile.” And she complained that the regulations would reduce worldwide emissions of greenhouse gases by only “one-tenth of 1 percent.”

“We see that as no apparent health benefit at a great cost to California consumers,” she said.

The new standards could have coast-to-coast effect: Because California represents 10 percent of the national auto market, the auto industry often overhauls all of its cars to meet California’s standards.

Also, other states sometimes follow California’s lead when it comes to adopting clean-air standards. In fact, New York has already said it would adopt the new regulations, and several other Northeastern states and Canada are expected to do the same.

Because it began regulating pollution before the federal government, California is the only state able to set its own vehicle pollution standards. Other states can adopt either the federal standards or California’s.

Board members said they were disappointed automakers did not accept invitations to work with them on the regulations.

“The response, the silence, was deafening,” said the chairman, Alan Lloyd. “I hope that we still can work together on this tremendously important issue. The stakes could not be higher.”

source HERE
Old 09-25-04, 09:07 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most the "clean-air" laws passed are BS. RFG? Give me a break. Smog Check II/ IM240? Just another way to fail more cars. I say tell the transit agencies in SoCal(OCTA and LACMTA) to switch from CNG/LNG(it produces more CO2 than diesel) back to diesel, tighten the emissions threshold on large SUVs, and switch back to straight gas, MTBE and ethanol do more harm than good. and also enforce smog checks on big rigs and a cutoff date when older ones have to be retired.
Old 09-25-04, 05:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by nthach
I think most the "clean-air" laws passed are BS. RFG? Give me a break. Smog Check II/ IM240? Just another way to fail more cars. I say tell the transit agencies in SoCal(OCTA and LACMTA) to switch from CNG/LNG(it produces more CO2 than diesel) back to diesel, tighten the emissions threshold on large SUVs, and switch back to straight gas, MTBE and ethanol do more harm than good. and also enforce smog checks on big rigs and a cutoff date when older ones have to be retired.
I completely agree! Another ignorant abuse of power by do-gooder feel good legislators in crazy California. The land of the Beach Boys is now mandating smaller engines.
Old 09-25-04, 05:58 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The land of the Beach Boys is now mandating smaller engines.
They're trying to take our T-Birds away!!
Old 09-25-04, 06:38 PM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they fail to realize is that this will not reduce emissions for the state as a whole. Thos damn liberal politicians need to get off their asses and regulate factories, plants, the sea AND the air industries. It isn't about car emissions, it's about the most recognizeable scapegoat uneducated people would buy as a fault.
edit* And I hope Sema stops with their special interest routines and actually tries to do something for everyone else for a change.

Last edited by 2jzgte; 09-25-04 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The more California tries to ban fun, the better off Nevada, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon will be.

Imagine Disneyland in Vegas. Sooner or later someone in California's gonna say Disney's fireworks are an environmental threat, and they make fun of endangered species like tigers.

There's been various successful and unsuccessful legislation against stuff like back yard barbeques and fires on beaches. Lame-o.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-25-04 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 07:36 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Sooner or later someone in California's gonna say Disney's fireworks are an environmental threat, and they make fun of endangered species like tigers.

There's been various successful and unsuccessful legislation against stuff like back yard barbeques and fires on beaches. Lame-o.
Death by bitkahuna

I think this officially makes you "CL Quote-of-the-Week Champion."

Let's hear it for the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11one1one~

x infinity
Old 09-26-04, 05:48 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the wackos that push for this stuff in November.
Old 09-26-04, 08:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

That's going to suck for the people living there.
Old 09-26-04, 11:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Under the regulations, the auto industry must cut exhaust from cars and light trucks by 25 percent and from larger trucks and sport utility vehicles by 18 percent. The industry will have until 2009 to begin introducing cleaner technology, and will have until 2016 to meet the new exhaust standards.
I find it comical and disturbing at the same time that one state, of which is not the capital, is governing the entire US.
Old 09-27-04, 05:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I completely agree! Another ignorant abuse of power by do-gooder feel good legislators in crazy California. The land of the Beach Boys is now mandating smaller engines.
Remember....this is the same bunch of morons ( the California Air Resources Board) that mandated a minimum number of pure electric car sales in CA until the public, fed up with being dictated to on new car sales and the short range of pure electrics, finally said, in effect ..... " F * * * you, we don't want electric cars and aren't going to buy them" CARB was finally forced to retract its position. It may be forced to do so again.

Yes, we are far away from CA here in the East, but this story was covered in a lot of detail here.
Old 09-27-04, 05:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I basically agree with you, but we also have to be fair and realistic. Forty years ago when Brian Wilson and Co. were singing those Beach songs (and I remember it well...I grew up in the 60's) , California did not have 20-million-plus people, you could actually get in your car and GO somewhere, and you could actually breathe the air in the Los Angeles Basin.
I agree with you that CARB today has gone overboard, but if there had been no emission controls at all on cars, California today would be uninhabitable.
Old 09-27-04, 08:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Monday, September 27, 2004

Calif. emissions rules would raise car prices

John Ritter

By USA TODAY

SAN FRANCISCO -- California’s landmark new rules limiting greenhouse gases could bring sweeping change to the automobile industry and inspire other states to get tough on emissions.

But the rules must first survive expected legal challenges from auto manufacturers, the Bush administration or both.

If the rules adopted unanimously last week by the California Air Resources Board stand, consumers can expect higher car prices, but how much higher is disputed. The board estimates that the price of a new vehicle would rise no more than $1,000. The automobile industry, however, predicts a $3,000 increase in price.

The regulations are expected to cut exhaust emissions in cars and light trucks by 25 percent and in larger trucks and SUVs by 18 percent by 2015. The changes would force automakers to sharply increase fuel efficiency in most models, but industry officials argued in two days of hearings that only the federal government has the authority to regulate fuel economy.

“It’s a great day for the global environment,” says Bill Magavern, senior legislative representative for Sierra Club California.

“California is stepping into a void left by the Bush administration’s refusal to take action to curb global warming,” he says.

Automakers say the new rules would force them to restrict sales of gas-guzzling models in California, including popular sport utility vehicles, but board members doubt that the industry would penalize a state that represents 10 percent of the U.S. market.

Industry officials say they don’t have the technology to comply with the rules. And even if they could, carbon dioxide would be cut only 0.1 percent worldwide, they say.

“This is not in the best interest of Californians,” says Gloria Bergquist, vice president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. “It’s going to be costly for virtually no benefit.”

Federal law allows California to enact tougher regulations than the federal government because it began regulating tailpipe emissions in the 1960s, before Congress passed the Clean Air Act.

Other states have the option of adopting the tougher California rules or the federal government’s.

At least seven Northeastern states -- New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont -- are expected to consider adopting California’s version of the rules.

Environmentalists see California’s action as a critical first step in the assault against global warming.

“It’s the kind of problem where any single measure that you use is going to affect only a small fraction of emissions,” Magavern says. “But we need to add up a whole lot of those measures to get to a point where we’re stabilizing our climate.”

Last edited by Gojirra99; 09-27-04 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 12:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Classic Car Lovers Dismayed by New Law

Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:48 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Lovers of California's classic cars, celebrated in the Beach Boys song for "fun, fun, fun," worried that a new state law could take their T-birds and little deuce coupes away.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed a bill requiring that cars 30 years and older be tested under California's strict smog regulations, closing a loophole over the protests of classic car collectors, including "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno.

Aides said the bill signed on Thursday would help the state's air quality. California also approved the nation's most stringent rules to reduce auto emissions linked to global warming this week.

But classic car hobbyists argued their cars have little effect on the state's smog.

"We're not too excited about it. The impact on the environment by classic cars is minimal," said John Halstead, president of the Bakersfield Camaro Club. "Most of the cars don't make it out of the garage for any other reason than for car shows once or twice a month in the summer."

The exact number of classic cars in California is unknown, but the state has hundreds of clubs for car hobbyists.

Leno, on whose show Schwarzenegger announced he would run for governor, protested personally against the bill, said Marva Diaz, legislative director for Assembly Member Sally Lieber, who wrote the bill.

Leno called Lieber's office twice to register his displeasure, Diaz said.

"He was very upset the first time," Diaz said. "He thought his whole collection would have to be smog-checked."

"The second time he called he was upset because he had been told the assemblywomen had said on the radio that he supported the bill," Diaz said. "He wanted to make sure it was clear to me to tell her that he remained opposed."

source HERE