Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen to build new mid-engined Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 06:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Volkswagen to build new mid-engined Roadster

Roadster A Go-Go: Volkswagen confirms it will build Concept R show car

GREG KABLE
Posted Date: 9/22/04

Volkswagen’s stylish Concept R show car, named AutoWeek’s “Most Fun” car at last September’s Frankfurt motor show (AW, Sept. 22), is going into production.
The mid-engined roadster, conceived as a cut-price alternative to the Porsche Boxster, is slated for launch in late 2007 with the choice of either four or six-cylinder power, according to Wolfsburg insiders.

VW chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder all but confirmed plans when he stated recently that the German automaker plans to bolster its niche market potential in future years rather than relying on traditional volume sellers like the Polo, Jetta and Passat. In a report in Auto Motor und Sport, Pischetsrieder said “the roadster will be built” as a mid-engined model like the concept for proper balance and to more easily meet coming Euro pedestrian crash standards.

Mechanical details remain scarce, though it is likely the roadster will use suspension components from both the Polo and Golf. Three different gasoline engines could be used: a 2.0-liter, 148-hp four, the 2.0-liter, 197-hp turbocharged four-cylinder FSI from the soon-to-be-launched GTI, and a 3.6-liter, 280-hp V6 due out next year as the replacement for the engine in today’s Passat. The mid-mounted engines would come with either a standard six-speed manual or optional direct shift gearbox with steering wheel-mounted paddles.

source HERE
Old 09-23-04, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice-looking car, but I myself don't care for small, mid-engine roadsters. They tend to be cramped, noisy, have darty steering, and wander left and right....especially in crosswinds, because the rear-weight bias and the very light front ends don't do much for directional stability. They can be a blast on narrow winding roads, though....as long as you don't spin out.
Old 09-23-04, 09:48 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's VERY nice looking. The only thing that throws me is the VW on the grille.

This should be an Audi and replace the current TT (which is FUGLY).

If the MR-2 Spyder was more like this car (not so goofy-looking and offered more than an econo Corolla engine) they might have sold more than 8 per year and they'd still be producing them.

Blah.

For this car.
Old 09-23-04, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CleanSC
If the MR-2 Spyder was more like this car (not so goofy-looking and offered more than an econo Corolla engine) they might have sold more than 8 per year and they'd still be producing them.

For this car.

I don't think it was the MR2's powerplant that limited its sales. Look at the Miata....with roughly the same engine. Sells like hotcakes. The problem is that Toyota just didn't WANT to sell them.....it deliberately held production to only a few thousand a year. You can't sell what you don't produce.

And the VW symbol on the grille? Come on.....that can't be any more strange than on the $50,000 Touraegs or $90,000 Phaeton V12's.
Old 09-23-04, 11:16 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks great. Almost like a baby Carrera GT without any of the power. I wanna hear some ideas on pricing to see where this will fall, because I think it'll end up being another trendy car like the miata (to a degree), and Audi TT.

James
Old 09-23-04, 12:01 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
I don't think it was the MR2's powerplant that limited its sales. Look at the Miata....with roughly the same engine. Sells like hotcakes. The problem is that Toyota just didn't WANT to sell them.....it deliberately held production to only a few thousand a year. You can't sell what you don't produce.

And the VW symbol on the grille? Come on.....that can't be any more strange than on the $50,000 Touraegs or $90,000 Phaeton V12's.
Well, the lack of engine options helped. The 1ZZ is just weak. The Miata engine is a totally different animal. The Miata is also cheaper, nicer looking, the engine's in the right place, and the aftermarket is delicious. Let's not forget that you can buy it factory turbocharged as well. Turbo Miata's cost the same as base MR-S's. Please. And yes there was supply for that demand unlike the MR-S. I blame no one but Toyota for that car's demise.

And yes the Phaetons and Touregs are also rediculous VW offerings. They should have four rings on their grilles, too.
Old 09-23-04, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jet864
I I wanna hear some ideas on pricing to see where this will fall, because I think it'll end up being another trendy car like the miata (to a degree), and Audi TT.

James
The way that VW has been moving upmarket with its last several new products, I don't think that this car is going to sell for chump change.
And....speaking of new products, the latest word I can find is that VW has shelved the plans for the new retro Microbus. This was NOT the Vanagon and Eurovan of recent years; this was to be a retro version of the 1950's-1970's double-row window Microbus......famous as the 1960's HippieBus with the peace and flower signs. They got reputations as Stinkmobiles from the pot fumes and the fact that their occupants never bathed.:
yikes:
Old 09-23-04, 02:19 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure this is going to be a succes.