Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Yellow Ferrari F430

Old 09-10-04, 02:36 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Ferrari F430

Pic #1

Pic #2 - Check out the blue 612 Scaglietti in the background

Pic #3

Pic #4

Ferrari has released the first details of the new F430, a vastly upgraded version of today's 360 Modena. The 360 has been around us since 1999. With 17,000 cars sold in such a short period, it is easily the most successful Ferrari in history. 5 years have past and it is time to get a mid-life makeover. This makeover is not just a facelift but more like the progress from 348 to F355. Almost 70% of the parts have been redesigned, most notably is the new 32-valve V8 which produces 90 more horsepower than the current car.

The new V8 is derived from Maserati's 4.2-litre V8 but with an 1mm increase stroke to take the capacity to 4.3 litres. That's a considerable 700cc more than its predecessor, but its efficiency is even higher, reaching an astonishing 114 hp / litre. The new V8 produces 490 horsepower at 8500 rpm, 90hp more than 360 Modena, 100hp more than Maserati. For the first time, it also produces a healthy amount of torque - 343 lbft at 5250rpm, that's more than its predecessor by a lot and even eclipses the Maserati V8.

The Ferrari V8 follows the Maserati engine to use 4 valves per cylinder, dumping the 5-valve design that can be traced back to Alain Prost's F1 car and, in the road car department, the F355 (if you remember, the last "5" in its name stands for the valve count per cylinder). This signals the end of the 5-valve era. As Ferrari's engineering boss Amedeo Felisa said, "there is no more need of the fifth valve". Details are scarce, but expect it employs variable intake valve timing and a variable geometry intake manifold like the Maserati engine.

The Ferrari engine shares head and block with the Maserati V8, but it has a number of modifications to increase rev, hence power. Firstly, it employs flat crank instead of the Maserati's fully-balanced cross crank. The lighter flat crank allows it to rev higher, although it will also suffer from more vibration. Secondly, lightweight titanium connecting rods are used instead of forged steel ones. This also enhances revabiilty. Thirdly, compression ratio has been raised from 11.1:1 to 11.3:1 to enhance thermal efficiency. Lastly, intake and exhaust are redesigned to improve breathing. These modifications account for the extra power.

Despite weighing 60kg more than 360 Modena, F430 still boosts a considerably higher power to weight ratio (338 hp per ton versus 288 hp per ton). It also outshines arch-rival Lamborghini Gallardo (329 hp per ton) and runs it very close in terms of torque per ton. The Ferrari is just 10 horsepower short of the Lamborghini but it carries 70kg less weight.

As for performance, Ferrari claims a top speed of 196mph (315kph), an increase of 13mph from its predecessor. 0-100kph takes 4 seconds flat (an equivalent to 0-60mph in 3.95 seconds). On paper, this beat the Lamborghini. I am looking forward to see if it can really do that in real world.

As for chassis, modifications are relatively modest. The basic chassis is still the 360's aluminum spaceframe. All the important dimensions - wheelbase, width, height and tracks - are untouched. Front and rear overhangs are stretched a little to incorporate new aerodynamic treatment. Externally, you can see its shape remains loyal to the 360 Modena, which in my eyes is the sexiest Ferrari since 288 GTO. There are some modifications however. At the nose, there are a pair of larger oval intakes and an additional center intake to enhance cooling to radiators and brakes. Hot air passing through the two radiators exits the car through a new opening at each side in front of the wheels. Above that is a pair of new, vertical headlights resembling Enzo and 612 Scaglietti. At the rear, the whole tail has been reshaped. It incorporates Enzo-style, semi-recessed taillights and a larger, more effective diffuser. Expect this increases downforce. At the fastback, ventilation holes are added to both sides of the rear window, a feature also found in 360 Challenge Stradale.

F430 uses a recalibrated version of the current suspensions and transmission. Its F1 semi-automatic gearbox has improved program but the quickest shift time remains to be 150ms. Like other latest Ferraris, it gets an integrated control system with 4 driving modes to choose from - Sport, Damp, Winter and Race. These modes alter the setting of the adaptive damping, gearshift response, throttle response, traction control, stability control and the setting of the new electronic differential (E-Diff). Ferrari claims the electronic differential technology was transferred from its F1 cars and is the world's first for production cars. As for braking system, carbon-ceramic discs will be offered as optional equipment.

The cabin also received a makeover. As you can see from the picture, it adopts a racing-style layout like Enzo, losing somewhat the elegance of today's car.

Now with the vastly increased power and performance, the F430 is expected to get a price hike of about 5%. Interestingly, when Ferrari introduced 206GT in the late 60s, it was deemed to be a rival of Porsche 911. This did not change much in 308 and 328. Since 348 the V8 line started migrating to a higher category. This process accelerated after the death of F512M, by then Ferrari no longer had a flagship mid-engined sports car to sit above the V8 line. In the mid-80s, 328 produced 270 horsepower. This increased to 300hp in the 348. 360 Modena suddenly jumped to 400hp. Now F430 gets close to the 500hp territory. Today, the V8 line no longer competes with Porsche 911. Instead, its biggest rival is Lamborghini Gallardo. Hopefully the makeover will give it the necessary punch and performance to compete with the Lamborghini. Furthermore, Ferrari still has a trump card in its hand - the Challenge Stradale version of F430.

Ferrari will formally unveil the F430 in next month's Paris Motor Show.
Some good info on the engine... they really beefed it up in comparison to the 360 Modena
Old 09-10-04, 03:08 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Sexy, if not a little bland. Looks kinda like a fat, smiling toad.

I'd still hit. Like a wall.
Old 09-10-04, 04:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks hot I still like the looks of the F360 better though.
Old 09-10-04, 04:33 PM
Ditto
Pole Position

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Sexy, if not a little bland. Looks kinda like a fat, smiling toad.

I'd still hit. Like a wall.

Old 09-10-04, 04:49 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The C6 so stole that front-end
Old 09-10-04, 05:17 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Ditto

Nice pics...kinda concerned on why you have them but funny
Old 09-10-04, 05:21 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

I like the straight front and 3/4 front shots. I don't know about the rear though, the car has a real phatty.
Old 09-11-04, 12:17 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

looks so fuc**ng AWESOME!!!
Old 09-11-04, 03:26 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I'm panting!?!
Old 09-11-04, 06:56 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

That friggin car is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!! SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, did I mention that car is sick?
Old 09-11-04, 09:18 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

"Yo, ***** is yellow, B. Rizzy's the color, nugga! It's Big Bird mode." - Adam, Boiler Room

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181984/
Old 09-12-04, 10:19 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks nice.... but im sure for the money i would grab a 3 year old murci...

CEO
Old 09-12-04, 12:21 PM
LexFather

Old 09-12-04, 03:01 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I think it's sexay.

But I also think that, for the money, I'd get a Quattroporte and pocket the difference.

M.
Old 09-12-04, 04:41 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Seeing that many Ferraris in one place totally ruins the exclusivity/mystique.

If I owned a Ferrari, I would move to the country and never go to any meets.

Originally posted by whipimpin
I think it's sexay.

But I also think that, for the money, I'd get a Quattroporte and pocket the difference.

M.
Totally agree. No better way to do grand touring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yellow Ferrari F430