Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another Ohio built Acura is coming, new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-04, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Default Another Ohio built Acura is coming, new SUV

On the eve of its 25th anniversary of manufacturing in the state, Honda of America Mfg. today announced that a new Acura sport-utility vehicle (SUV) will be produced in Ohio, starting in 2006.

Production of the all-new SUV will join a lineup in Ohio that includes the Honda Accord, Civic, Element light truck and the Acura TL. Placed in the Acura lineup beneath the MDX in both price and size, it will be the fourth performance and luxury Acura model produced in North America.

"Since we began auto production in 1982, our Ohio plants have focused primarily on production of passenger cars," said Koki Hirashima, Honda of America's president and CEO. "Along with the model mix produced at Honda's other plants in North America, this will position us for the future -- providing added flexibility to meet the needs of our customers for both cars and light trucks."

The announcement in Ohio reflects Honda's business strategy to manufacture products close to the customer. In addition to passenger cars, Honda has launched five all-new light truck models exclusively in North America since 1998, including the all-new 2005 Odyssey that just went into mass production in Alabama.

Most of these light trucks were designed and developed by American engineers at Honda's U.S. R&D centers, including a major automotive engineering complex in Ohio that houses a safety research crash-test facility.

Honda's U.S. R&D operations have had a profound impact on Honda's domestic parts sourcing. Honda works closely with more than 600 supplier partners in North America, with purchases of parts and materials exceeding $12 billion a year.

It was 25 years ago this Friday, Sept. 10, 1979, that Honda of America Mfg. began assembling products in America, when an Elsinore motorcycle rolled off the line. Three years later, Honda became the first Japanese automaker to produce automobiles in America.

Honda has invested more than $8 billion in 12 plants and other operations in North America. And nearly eight of 10 vehicles Honda sells here are made in those plants.

To meet market needs, Hirashima said associates in Ohio have been involved in major innovation projects, focusing on new levels of quality, flexibility and efficiency for the future.

"This has increased our flexibility to produce a greater variety of cars and light trucks in Ohio", he said. "Today, even after 25 years, our plants remain among the most efficient and competitive."

Using domestic and globally sourced parts, last year Honda of America produced 677,000 Honda and Acura vehicles, as well as 108,500 motorcycles and ATVs and 1.1 million auto engines.

Honda's North American Employment now totals more than 30,000 associates at the company's 12 North American manufacturing plants, three major R&D centers and dozens of other sales, parts and related facilities. With the recent addition of a production line at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, Honda's total North American auto production capacity was boosted from 1.25 million units to 1.4 million units.

Old 09-09-04, 06:24 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, but I say for what? Why a smaller one? Why not a bigger one? One that can tow somthing worth towing, one with more cargo space... I dont get it. I just hate small SUV's, to me they are absolutely point less.
Old 09-09-04, 08:09 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Milla...
Interesting, but I say for what? Why a smaller one? Why not a bigger one? One that can tow somthing worth towing, one with more cargo space... I dont get it. I just hate small SUV's, to me they are absolutely point less.
Because a bigger one that tows anything will need a V8 and RWD (or true 4WD). Acura has niether. That's not their market. If you need to tow something, you will need to buy something else like a Toyota/Lexus, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc.
Old 09-09-04, 08:28 AM
Milla...

Originally posted by CleanSC
Because a bigger one that tows anything will need a V8 and RWD (or true 4WD). Acura has niether. That's not their market. If you need to tow something, you will need to buy something else like a Toyota/Lexus, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc.
Yeah that makes sence, that just adds more depth to my question then, Why? The MDX is small enough any smaller its the TL/TSX/RSX..I don't get it.
Old 09-09-04, 08:44 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Well, it's still the only SUV they have. And the going trend now is at least 2 or 3...

Lexus has 3. Infiniti has 2. Cadillac has 3. BMW has 2. Mercedes has 2.

Toyota has 5! Honda has 3. Nissan has 4. Isuzu's whole line up is trucks (3). Chevy has 3. Ford has 5.

So it's easy to see that in the US there's surely a market for these so Acura needed to step up and offer a baby SUV, just like everyone else has.
Old 09-09-04, 09:11 AM
Milla...

Oh, well ok. I guess the people will still buy it regardless of size. It just better be cute.
Old 09-09-04, 09:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Milla, I said exactly the same thing-why have a smaller suv? Didn't make sense either. I didn't think about Honda's engine availability, fwd/rwd...........
Still, people are looking at SUVs to carry loads and decent towing capacity, not another raised station wagon.
Old 09-09-04, 09:57 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Oh, well ok. I guess the people will still buy it regardless of size. It just better be cute.
Haha knowing Acura it will most likely be a cute but aggressive design. Something like a baby FX.

Just one man's guess.
Old 09-09-04, 12:59 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Clearly, it's going to be based on the CR-V. This rumor has been around forever. And it's probably going to come standard with the CR-V's peerless "on demand" AWD system and no manual transmission, priced at around $25K+. Sounds great to me. Not to mention, another American-made Japanese car. Yay.
Old 09-09-04, 05:04 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

interesting.. i just hope that they dont use 4 cylinders engine
Old 09-09-04, 05:44 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS3Tek
Still, people are looking at SUVs to carry loads and decent towing capacity, not another raised station wagon.
Some people, yes. But how many SUVs do you honestly see towing anything or carrying loads larger than a baby seat and maybe a couple of 2x4's? How many are ever be taken off-road or even on a DIRT road? My opinion is just as subjective as yours, but it seems to me that most people DO buy SUVs to be basically raised station wagons (or mini-vans with less dork factor).

The MDX sells so well for a couple of reasons. One is that Acura expressly made and marketed it as a medium-duty SUV. It can tow normal-sized boats and trailers, and is reasonably capable off paved surfaces. It has more passenger and cargo room than an RX, X5, or ML-class. It offers more luxury features than a GX, for significantly less money.

A smaller luxury SUV makes sense for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that rising gas prices have people thinking, for the first time in a long time, second thoughts about always stepping up to bigger and bigger vehicles. It could also be another chance for Acura to snag some additional customers who otherwise would not have considered the brand, and who might build enough loyalty to add a second Acura to their garage when it comes time for a new sedan or sporty car.

I'm not saying your reasoning is bad--that there's no market for truly capable large SUVs--just that I think you've been a little too hasty in dismissing the market for a smaller one.
Old 09-09-04, 07:22 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

It just better be cute.
Old 09-09-04, 07:25 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DC52E55
interesting.. i just hope that they dont use 4 cylinders engine
Knowing Honda, they will

Besides, isn't the 3.5 the only V6 they have now?
Old 09-09-04, 09:42 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

The Accord has a 3L. I think a smaller SUV from Acura is unnecessary as well. The MDX to me is barely midsized, and a luxury vehicle the size of a CRV IMO is...a joke (think X3). Considering it's Acura, I guess 4 cyl. FWD will fit in, as will the small size (no sarcasm, I'm being honest), so maybe Acura buyers will consider it.

James
Old 09-10-04, 01:44 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jet864
The Accord has a 3L. I think a smaller SUV from Acura is unnecessary as well. The MDX to me is barely midsized, and a luxury vehicle the size of a CRV IMO is...a joke (think X3). Considering it's Acura, I guess 4 cyl. FWD will fit in, as will the small size (no sarcasm, I'm being honest), so maybe Acura buyers will consider it.

James

u know there's someone who will always buy honda/acura even if that thing came with 2 stroke dirt bike motor or even if came with bicycle paddles.

but seriously, honda should start making V8 RWD these days or turbo engines.

forget about FWD and 4 cylinders ( which i have by the way ), and step up.