Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Xpel??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 11:00 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel??

Thinking of doing Expel now that i know what it is. Would you recommend doing this? Does it make your car easier to clean lol? i saw a few pic and it appears to make your car look a lot cleanier/shinier, is that true of just my eyes playin tricks?

John

Last edited by JohnGS4; 07-27-04 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

www.xpel.com

all the info you need.
Old 07-28-04, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Question

Plastic paint films are nothing new...they have been around for a little while. I don't have any direct experience with them myself, but it would be interesting to hear from some forum members who have.....how well they resist damage from acid rain, bird droppings, chips, bug splatches, etc.....and if they are worth the cost.
Old 07-28-04, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have them on both of my cars, FULL coverage, and i custom cut my body kit piece myself. awesome stuff, works perfect, and protection is fabulous. i will get it for all of the cars i buy from now on for sure. good stuff. no more chips, very strong, bugs n o problem, and no decoloration i see so far

i cut and installed all pieces myself, the installation is what killing coz' the labor isnt' cheap. install by yourself isn't the most trivial thing too, you can mess it up if you don't know what you are doing. i did it quite a few of times already so i can save on the install. plus my friend sells xpel stuff so i can even get deals on the material
Old 07-28-04, 05:36 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have it as an available option for all new Lexus cars and and other cars brought in by customers. I've watched it be put on, and it resembles window tinting. It is thin sheet over the front part of the hood, bumper, backs of mirrors, and some fender flares that is just one or two mm thick. On the headlights, and foglights there are thicker plastic pieces that are about five mm thick. I believe it's a lifetime guarantee, and it works very well. Also, basically impossible to see more than three feet away.

I think the member "Seize" works at an Xpel-like company. Maybe he has something to say.

James
Old 07-28-04, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes it's very much like tinting windows, but more dificult coz' of all the countours and stuff. it's fun to do
Old 07-28-04, 08:37 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an Xpel Installation Guide video on VHS format (30-45 min long) I got for free long time ago from xpel.com (I don't think they give those vids out anymore). I had no plans of installing Xpel myself (too many already existing rock chips on my ES hood). If anybody's interested in learning how to DIY install Xpel, PM me about this video and we can arrange something
Old 07-28-04, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lexusk8
I have an Xpel Installation Guide video on VHS format (30-45 min long) I got for free long time ago from xpel.com (I don't think they give those vids out anymore). I had no plans of installing Xpel myself (too many already existing rock chips on my ES hood). If anybody's interested in learning how to DIY install Xpel, PM me about this video and we can arrange something
they don't give that out anymore? gosh i think i have like 3 of those video at home @_@
Old 07-29-04, 09:28 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
We have it as an available option for all new Lexus cars and and other cars brought in by customers. I've watched it be put on, and it resembles window tinting. It is thin sheet over the front part of the hood, bumper, backs of mirrors, and some fender flares that is just one or two mm thick. On the headlights, and foglights there are thicker plastic pieces that are about five mm thick. I believe it's a lifetime guarantee, and it works very well. Also, basically impossible to see more than three feet away.

I think the member "Seize" works at an Xpel-like company. Maybe he has something to say.

James
As far as the intsalling the stuff goes, you nailed it right on the head. Although some cars are more difficult than others. We deal with a few local dealers here in San Diego. My intsaller commented to me that out of all of the cars that Lexus makes, that the SC430 is probably the most difficult of the bunch. But compared to other vehicles like the Caddillac Escalade and the Mazda RX-8, he told me the SC430 is relatively "cake" compared to difficult models like that.

Specs-

The film used for fenders, hoods, bumpers and mirrors is 8mil thick.

And for the headlights they're 20mil thick...(from what I hear this will be an option in the near future, because they might start making the headlight kits with the 8 mil film)

Here's a few pics of some of the cars we've done...

Full kit on 2004 LS430 (hood, fender, bumper, mirrors and headlights)

Full kit on 2004 RX330 (hood, fender, bumper, mirrors and headlights)

Full Kit on SC430 (hood, fender, bumper, mirrors and headlights)

Headlight kit on my brothers's 2000 Platinum Series GS

Old 07-29-04, 09:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very nice man, that's some awesome install

why would they want to make the headlights with 8mil though? isn't that more dangerous?
Old 07-29-04, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Question

What does that stuff do to the actual headlight pattern and light intesity? Does it significantly affect anything? Can you still see as well at night?
Anyhow.......You guys have almost got me sold....I'm sure gonna consider it for my next set of wheels.
Old 07-29-04, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop. no change on the lighting on both my lexus at all
Old 07-29-04, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
What does that stuff do to the actual headlight pattern and light intesity? Does it significantly affect anything? Can you still see as well at night?
Anyhow.......You guys have almost got me sold....I'm sure gonna consider it for my next set of wheels.
wait a minute, next set of wheels?! xpel?! on wheels?!
Old 07-29-04, 10:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
wait a minute, next set of wheels?! xpel?! on wheels?!
"Wheels" = Car

Are you too much of a wheel nut that you can only think of wheels as rims ?
Old 07-29-04, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SexySC
"Wheels" = Car

Are you too much of a wheel nut that you can only think of wheels as rims ?
haha, obviously man... you know me...

Quick Reply: Xpel??