Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Default American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Cars

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ao&refer=japan

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...tos-199589.htm

June 30 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co. is widening a recall of vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to 1.14 million units, among its largest, covering Accord and Acura cars that have the same transmission fault that triggered a light-truck recall this year.

Japan's third-largest automaker is voluntarily recalling 536,950 vehicles, with V-6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions, in addition to those already announced in April. The company is also recalling 79,531 units in Japan to fix faulty transmissions and fuel tanks, starting tomorrow.

The inspections and repairs will cost Honda about $63 million, in addition to the $153 million being spent on the light-truck portion of the recall, spokesman Andy Boyd said. In Japan, Honda is spending about $8.5 million on its recall.

Honda was runner-up to Toyota Motor Corp. in an annual reliability study of three-year-old cars and trucks by J.D. Power & Associates in the U.S. Honda, Toyota and Nissan Motor Co., which benefit from consumer perceptions that they build better vehicles, increased their U.S. market share to 24.1 percent last year from 22.2 percent, according to Autodata Corp.

Honda's North American recall includes 2003- and 2004-model Accords, 2000- through early 2004-model Acura TL sedans, and 2001- through 2003-model Acura CLs, Boyd said. In April, the company recalled 600,000 U.S. and Canadian Odyssey minivans, and Pilot and Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles with the same transmission.

Shares of Honda, which ranks fifth in U.S. sales, fell as much as 1.1 percent to 5,230 yen in Tokyo and were traded at 5,250 yen as of 2:52 p.m.

Japanese Recall

The Japanese recall covers 68,000 vehicles with gearbox defects, including Odyssey and Lagreat minivans. The Tokyo-based carmaker will also take back 11,531 Inspire sedans with faulty fuel pumps, spokesman Kazuhiro Suda said.

The problem results from insufficient lubrication of a transmission shaft that can overheat, potentially damaging gear teeth or causing the gears to break, Honda said in a statement.

The U.S. unit of Tokyo-based Honda has had only one reported incident of a transmission failing in the car models recalled and no reported accidents or injuries, Boyd said.

``We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn't become an issue for our customers,'' Tom Elliot, Honda's U.S. executive vice president, said in a statement. Customers will be notified by letter starting mid-July.

In most cases, the gears will be inspected and the flow of transmission fluid will be modified, Honda said. If damage from insufficient lubrication is found, the transmission will be replaced, the company said. Recall repairs typically are paid for out of reserves set aside for that purpose.

The Accord is Honda's best-selling model, with annual sales in the U.S. and Canada exceeding 400,000

Old 06-30-04, 01:33 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they finally living up to the mistakes...
Old 06-30-04, 01:36 PM
LexFather

We had to close the last TL thread as the Acura owners started whining the 2004 does not have the problem. Clearly, Honda says they do as the 2004 TL is included.

Old 06-30-04, 11:07 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've read somewhere on that the TL's were having tranny problems so this will be good news for anyone who owns a TL. Then again, maybe not. I'm so glad to have a LEXUS!!!
Old 07-01-04, 05:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by joshthorsc
Well, I've read somewhere on that the TL's were having tranny problems so this will be good news for anyone who owns a TL. Then again, maybe not. I'm so glad to have a LEXUS!!!
Lexus transmissions are not always perfect either. Early 2001 IS300 E-shifts and 2002-2003 ES300 and 330's had ECU program updates that was supposed to take care of owner complaints about erratic shifting and hesitation, but did not always do so.

Let's hope this Honda-Acura recall gets the right fixes done....we've had several threads here in the forums about late-model TL and CL low-mileage tranny failures.

Compared to most manufacturers, however, Lexus and Acura are both much better than average when it comes to product defects.
Old 07-01-04, 07:57 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is I am glad I bought my G35 over the TL. I had a deposit on a TL too and backed out.
Old 07-02-04, 09:59 AM
AristoTDOT
Driver

I killed my tranny on my old TL....at only 80K.....i dont think i will ever buy an acura again

I love my lexus
Old 07-02-04, 10:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm waiting for my official letter to take in my MDX.
Old 07-02-04, 02:59 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
We had to close the last TL thread as the Acura owners started whining the 2004 does not have the problem. Clearly, Honda says they do as the 2004 TL is included.
I'm not an acura owner anymore, and i'm aware the TL has some early production problems. I'm just not a friggen "Lexus is the best" loyalist like you. You take the little problems of the TL and make it seem like it affects all TL's and all acuras. The TL for sure is better than your car at least The TL , as well as all acuras..are nice cars. All car companies have their problems, especially new early production cars.
Old 07-02-04, 06:32 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

No Mike,
We had to close it because certain people took a thread that was congratulating someone for buying a TL and turned it ugly.
Old 07-02-04, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by Xenthar
I'm not an acura owner anymore, and i'm aware the TL has some early production problems. I'm just not a friggen "Lexus is the best" loyalist like you. You take the little problems of the TL and make it seem like it affects all TL's and all acuras. The TL for sure is better than your car at least The TL , as well as all acuras..are nice cars. All car companies have their problems, especially new early production cars.
I did not say the TL was NOT a nice car. The TL is a nice car. It's just problematic, PERIOD. And I love you tools taking cheapshots at my current car. Very motivational. So please continue. Though I did hop from one Lexus to another, not bad considering the circumstances.

My wrecked GS is worth more than basically any used Infiniti or Acura sans the NSX.

We had to close it because certain people took a thread that was congratulating someone for buying a TL and turned it ugly.
No we closed it b/c the blind Acura faithful started jumping in with the "Value" argument like we are buying cars are the 99 cents store.

Old 07-02-04, 07:19 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

I did not say the TL was NOT a nice car. The TL is a nice car. It's just problematic, PERIOD. And I love you tools taking cheapshots at my current car.
I learned from reading all your posts about acura...since most of your posts include some kind of cheap shot

Last edited by Xenthar; 07-02-04 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 07:22 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by Xenthar
I learned from reading all your posts about acura
Smooches And closed. If Lexus has a recall, we'll post. No more about other car makers and their problems.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-02-04 at 07:27 PM.

Old 07-02-04, 07:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

and just for the record, i am glad i sold my TL as well, no regret. from minute one i have been scolding honda for the faulty tranny and not fixing the damn thing. i was bashed by tons of people on acura board. well, now honda proves me right?