Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R/C Cars Drifting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 09:59 PM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Cars Drifting!!!

This is no B/S...I was in LA this weekend for a wedding so the wifey and I stayed with my Mom and used her car for the weekend. We need to get it washed before we go so we end in Carson at the Dominguez Car Wash across from the Carson Mall. As we are waiting for the car I noticed across the street in the Mall parking lot an event happening. I can see that it looks like an R/C race happening and I'm thinking no big deal as these are everywhere.

I notice however that the cars are moving real slow and there is no real start or finish and no one cares who is winning. I run across Main St. dodging traffic like a Frogger game and finally notice that these R/Cs are in full four-wheel drift through this course!

Dude..this is the craziest shiet I have ever seen. I didn't get a chance to take some pix or really talk to someone but does anyone know how to get these R/Cs to drift? My R/C is nothing special so is it even possible with my car? I have a Tamiya TL-01 4WD Chassis with 540 Motor.
Old 06-20-04, 10:26 PM
kokonutjc
Lead Lap

Default Re: R/C Cars Drifting!!!

Originally posted by MarkMacGS4
This is no B/S...I was in LA this weekend for a wedding so the wifey and I stayed with my Mom and used her car for the weekend. We need to get it washed before we go so we end in Carson at the Dominguez Car Wash across from the Carson Mall. As we are waiting for the car I noticed across the street in the Mall parking lot an event happening. I can see that it looks like an R/C race happening and I'm thinking no big deal as these are everywhere.

I notice however that the cars are moving real slow and there is no real start or finish and no one cares who is winning. I run across Main St. dodging traffic like a Frogger game and finally notice that these R/Cs are in full four-wheel drift through this course!

Dude..this is the craziest shiet I have ever seen. I didn't get a chance to take some pix or really talk to someone but does anyone know how to get these R/Cs to drift? My R/C is nothing special so is it even possible with my car? I have a Tamiya TL-01 4WD Chassis with 540 Motor.
I have the same chasis as you do and I have drifted it before....But i had an access in a high school gym floor and ran my car and it was awesome.
Old 06-21-04, 04:39 AM
Dominik
Driver

Try putting electrical tape around your wheels (especially the rear wheels)...

I am pretty sure you can get drift setups for RC cars now (hard tires, and radical camber setups). Check Tower Hobbies to see if they have them...
Old 06-21-04, 07:12 AM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: R/C Cars Drifting!!!

Originally posted by kokonutjc
I have the same chasis as you do and I have drifted it before....But i had an access in a high school gym floor and ran my car and it was awesome.
You think its easier with 4WD or 2WD? Our chassis' are 4WD but I've been able to set it up for 2WD by removing the differential.

Originally posted by Dominik

Try putting electrical tape around your wheels (especially the rear wheels)...[/B]
Sounds like a cool hack...I can just imagine though the tape unraveling and getting spun up into the axle...but I'll try it.
One thing I noticed is the control of steering and throttle these guys had. They must have some high-end remotes that they can really slow down the steering and throttle inputs.