Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 09:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 2006 Audi TT

Audi is beefing up its performance car lineup and will put the muscular next-generation TT, Nuvolari grand tourer and Le Mans supercar into production over the next three years.

The introduction of the new coupés comes at a time when Audi chairman Martin Winterkorn is looking to raise the sporty profile of the brand. The first salvo, the second-generation TT, has been described as “encapsulating all the style and quality of the original, but with the dynamics and space to head its class”.

Codenamed the AU353, the new TT will be unveiled at the next year’s Frankfurt Motor Show and sources say that it will become available in right-hand drive markets by mid 2006.

Lovers of the Freeman Thomas-penned lines of today’s car will be relieved to know that Audi design boss Walter de’Silva will not change the car’s design much and there will be only mild changes to the detailing and extra interior room.

Distinguishing the new TT from the current model car will be a fresh front end dominated by Audi’s new shield grille as seen on the recently-unveiled A6 range. According to Autocar, the rear will probably be fitted with a retractable spoiler.

The second-generation model will use the Volkswagen Group’s PQ35 platform (used by the latest Golf V and Audi A3). As a result, the next TT will benefit from a series of chassis upgrades that should make it sharper to drive. Its torsion beam rear suspension will be replaced by a more contemporary multi-link arrangement. Other changes include a slightly longer wheelbase and wider tracks, an electro-mechanical steering set-up and uprated brakes.

The new model will offer a choice of front-wheel drive or quattro four-wheel drive. Power will come from new transversely mounted in-line four-cylinder and narrow-angle V6 engines, including the 112 kW naturally-aspirated and 149 kW turbocharged versions of Audi’s two-litre unit and a reworked version of the 190 kW 3,2-litre V6, featuring FSI direct injection technology.

Audi is also working on a TT RS, fitted with a twin-turbocharged version of the upgraded 3,2-litre V6. Developing up to 260 kW, the car is tipped to see the light of day in 2007. Sources say that the new TT model should reach 100 km/h from standstill in less than 5,5 seconds and reach a limited top speed of 250 km/h.

Alongside a standard six-speed manual gearbox, Audi will offer its new six-speed DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) as an option.

Meanwhile, the spectacular mid-engined Le Mans (Codename AU714), revealed in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt Motor Show, is scheduled to start production at Audi’s Neckarsulm factory in Germany in late 2006. Right-hand drive markets should see the introduction of the Le Mans by mid 2007.

The last of Audi’s new two-door models to arrive will be a production version of the Nuvolari concept car first shown at last year’s Geneva Motor Show. Targeted directly at the recently introduced BMW 6 Series and Mercedes CLK, Audi’s new four-seater coupé is planned for sale in early 2007. A soft-top convertible is also planned for the end of 2007.
Old 06-19-04, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Found another article HERE

AUDI's TT REPLACEMENT WILL BE BIGGER

The next generation Audi TT, which will be ready sometime next year, will grow in size offering more interior space. According to sources, the new Audi TT will have a wider track and an extended wheelbase, along the lines of the Nuvolari and Le Mans concepts shown in Frankfurt last year.

Insiders say that the 2005 TT will keep a lot of the current model's styling cues, but it will also take some of the Le Mans concept car's design ideas.

The new TT will get Audi's controversial new corporate grille, while the remodelled rear will see the prominent spoiler incorporated into the bodywork. The rear-lights will be similar to that of the A8.

The car is based on the new VW Golf platform and it will offer more interior space, while a large glass area will make the cabin brighter.

The 1.8T model will be replaced with a hi-tech 2.0 FSI (direct injection petrol) engine. The top of the line models will feature Audi's quattro all-wheel drive system and the 3.2 V6 model will get a DSG gearbox, as with the current range.

However the biggest news is that Audi engineers are working on a hot 350 bhp turbo-charged TT RS model.

It is expected that the new TT coupé will make its appearance at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show while the roadster version will go on sale in 2006.
Old 06-19-04, 11:07 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, I have never been a fan of the Audi TT.

The new grill that Audi has gone with makes it all the more ugly and unattractive.

I guess there is a certain audience for this car but I'm not included.

-Anthony
Old 06-19-04, 11:35 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

i really like the way that looks. Its alot better than the current one imo
Old 06-19-04, 01:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

not bad compare to the current TT, i like but wont buy it, rather take S2000
Old 06-19-04, 07:57 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

I like the look of this new replacement from the 2 smaller pictures in the original post. It just looks so much more badass and mean than the current TT.

However, that other picture in the second post.... I'm just not feelin it with the 2-tone and the side scoops and the vents on the back..

Last edited by Davtown; 06-19-04 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 09:30 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Captain Bone
To be honest, I have never been a fan of the Audi TT.

The new grill that Audi has gone with makes it all the more ugly and unattractive.

I guess there is a certain audience for this car but I'm not included.

-Anthony
I was never a fan of the TT either. I dont like the styling and now with the grill it is that much worse
Old 05-19-05, 12:03 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pic from thecarconnection.com:
Old 05-19-05, 01:04 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

It looks Bugatti-ish... I like it!!!
Old 05-19-05, 01:39 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

VW should stop using those HUGE grills. i dont know what's up with those ugly grills but i m sure i dont like them AT ALL!
Old 05-19-05, 06:18 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

interesting 150 hp base model to 350 hp hot model. I doubt we will get the 150 hp base model, thats honestly to underpowered to even bother... Even the 200 hp one seems a bit of a stretch!
Old 05-19-05, 06:21 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Inabj2
interesting 150 hp base model to 350 hp hot model. I doubt we will get the 150 hp base model, thats honestly to underpowered to even bother... Even the 200 hp one seems a bit of a stretch!
If it's enough to power the A4, it's definitely enough to power the TT.
Old 05-20-05, 04:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
If it's enough to power the A4, it's definitely enough to power the TT.
people get carried away with this so-called "underpowered" stuff.
Old 05-20-05, 03:07 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would not want to be driving a 3200+ lb vehicle with only a 150 hp. So the guy with the F150 can just blow you away? Believe me that is slow!
Old 05-20-05, 03:14 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. My first Audi was a new 1988 mauve red model 80-Quattro with five-speed manual transmission and a five cylinder that made 129 hp.. Seemed downright sporty at the time. As a car-lover it's hard for me to ever find a car to be "over-powered" but I'm not sure we all need to have a "hemi innit".

Quick Reply: 2006 Audi TT