Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 08:07 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400

What are you guys thoughts about the new Chrysler 300C? My friend just bought a new 3000C with the Hemi and has been talking so much trash. He said that he can take just about any four door car out especially the GS400. He said that he cares nothing about them. I have seen the specs on this car and just wonder how the 340 horsepower and 390 lbs of torque measure up against our 300 horses? Any ideas?
Old 05-12-04, 08:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

He'll likely take you unless you have some decent modifications (high stall torque converter, intake, exhaust, 3.76 LSD). 0 - 60 on those puppies is 5.3 (C&D magazine times).

Now if you sucker him into driving up to Charlotte and don't tell him I have a supercharger, we might throw a little scare into him .
Old 05-12-04, 08:19 PM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

So there is some truth in what he says. I havent read much up the 300c, and was just wondering...Iam actually stock except for my audio video setup, so there is no way in hell I would even try him without mods. I probably could get him to come to charlotte for a baching since its only an hour and a half away..I would want to hear his excuse. I have only had my gs for a couple of months so the mod bug has bitten me, Iam just doing some research to make sure I do it right.
Old 05-12-04, 08:23 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end... he has an butt ugly car... with unpredictable reliability.... and a resale value of nothing...

I seen the interior... typical american car... everything look very cheap..

buttons.. layout... ... just ugly....
Old 05-12-04, 09:14 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think what you want about the car, were talking about the HEMI, it's an absolute beast so the only advantage you may have is weight, you can spend a little on earplugs or a lot on boost or just let him talk.
Old 05-12-04, 09:20 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

On Automobile magazine, it shows a 6.1sec 0-60 and 1/4mile @ 14.7 @98mph with a speed limited 126mph on a deserted highway. they have this Multi-Displacement System that turns the V-8 into a V-4 under certain conditions, any comments?
Old 05-12-04, 09:25 PM
LexFather

I've read from 5.3 seconds from 0-60 to 6.1 seconds. For the GS 400, Edmunds got a 5.4 second run (the lowest) I've seen 6.1 as well. It's all about the launch. If he races anywhere past 300ft, the check engine light will turn on.

J/K, I think it's a great car for the money and another impressive Chrysler product. It's no Lexus but an awesome Chrysler. THere is a chance the GS may lose. It won't be by much, maybe by a car hood. I think the car weighs 4140lbs and is electronically limited to 130mph (so u can beat him that way too). 1.4 mile is in the low 14s and got a 13.9 in Car and Driver.

Only 1 way to find out.

Old 05-12-04, 10:17 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I actually like the 300C. It doesn't look like anything else on the road. To me it's like a total old school mobster car! The interior is definitely interesting, though not gorgeous. The engine is a beast, and with cylinder deactivation, it's pretty cool technically as well. I was watching a test drive of the car on Speed TV a few weeks ago and they were beating the crap out of the car on the track. It was holding up very well. For the price, it's really hard to beat.

From the preliminary #s it appears that the 300C will knock out a stock GS4. It does have more weight, but it also has 340hp/390lb-ft. All in all, I'm happy to see American makes creating cars like the 300C and the CTS-v.
Old 05-12-04, 10:47 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by SCWells72
I actually like the 300C. It doesn't look like anything else on the road. To me it's like a total old school mobster car! The interior is definitely interesting, though not gorgeous. The engine is a beast, and with cylinder deactivation, it's pretty cool technically as well. I was watching a test drive of the car on Speed TV a few weeks ago and they were beating the crap out of the car on the track. It was holding up very well. For the price, it's really hard to beat.

From the preliminary #s it appears that the 300C will knock out a stock GS4. It does have more weight, but it also has 340hp/390lb-ft. All in all, I'm happy to see American makes creating cars like the 300C and the CTS-v.
I agree. This car is killer for the price. It does have an "old school" look to it. Big too, very long wheelbase. I am sure 20s fit easy.
I like American cars that look American, again kudos to Chrysler (hell Mercedes).

Old 05-12-04, 11:35 PM
LexFather

Ralph Gilles is a director - design at DaimlerChrysler. His schooling career and training includes studying Transportation Design at the Center of Creative Studies, receiving a Bachelors of Science Degree in 1992, and an MBA from Michigan State University. In addition, he served as a part-time instructor at the Center for Creative Studies. Mr. Gilles served as the primary interior designer for the Dodge Viper GTS/R, Dodge ESX2 and Jeep Jeepster concept vehicles; and the production versions of the 2003 Dodge Viper and 2002 Jeep Liberty. His latest projects include the all-new 2005 Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum."

Article" From dropout to Chrysler design whiz"

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosco.../g01-144569.htm
Attached Thumbnails Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400-g01hemi400.jpg  

Old 05-13-04, 12:26 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

I kinda like the 300 and magnum, not that I would trade my GS in, mind you. Yet another new car where a race with a GS4XX will be determined by the skill of the drivers...
Old 05-13-04, 12:48 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

I am sure 20s fit easy.

Actually it fits 22's like the 7 series. About the same size car. Chrysler even put that in one of their ads. The only car under $70,000.00 that can fit 22's with no problem.
Old 05-13-04, 01:57 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Hmm....I am not so sure he can take my 4-door sedan on the street and win......
Old 05-13-04, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400

Originally posted by ICEBERGS
What are you guys thoughts about the new Chrysler 300C? My friend just bought a new 3000C with the Hemi and has been talking so much trash. He said that he can take just about any four door car out especially the GS400. He said that he cares nothing about them. I have seen the specs on this car and just wonder how the 340 horsepower and 390 lbs of torque measure up against our 300 horses? Any ideas?
I did a thread on the 300C several weeks ago. Nice car, well insulated, good ride, good looks...at least on the surface, but underneath it is saddled with the usual Chrysler tinny hardware and doors. The Hemi is a nice but rather primitive engine, with push-rod valves for low-RPM torque.
Biggest problem is the dealers can't get enough Hemis while the V6's sit around without any buyers....so the Hemis go for over list while the V6'es get healthy discounts.
Now......WHY is your friend drag-racing with a brand-new car? He needs a good swift kick in the ***.
That is the WORST possible thing you can do with a new car...ANY new car. For the first 1000 miles or so, the RPM should be varied but kept below about 4000 or so and any hard or panic stops should be avoided except for emergencies..... to allow the piston rings, valves, and brake pads to seat and break-in properly. After 1000 miles, change the oil and filter to get the shavings out, and THEN you can redline the engine all you want.
Why pay close to 40K...plus maybe a dealer markup....for a nice new car and then just go out and screw it up?
Old 05-13-04, 05:26 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Shinchan
In the end... he has an butt ugly car... with unpredictable reliability.... and a resale value of nothing...

I seen the interior... typical american car... everything look very cheap..

buttons.. layout... ... just ugly....
Agreed.

What's up with the Mac Truck front grill?

Quick Reply: Chrysler 300C Hemi vs GS400