Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road & Track Comparo - 7 luxury sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 09:34 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just watched a car and driver episode on spike tv. top 5 luxury cars were
#1-LS430
#2-Jag (forgot which one, but it was around 80k)
#3- BMW 7series
#4-Audi A8
#5- VW phaeton
Old 05-11-04, 04:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
The CTS interior is worse than the G35 interior. How in the hell could it have placed first? That interior is horrible, belongs in a CAmero. The GTO has a better interior.

I am SHOCKED the 530 finished so low. But then again, BMWs stronghold is no longer there. As a matter of fact, it's about to be up for grabs, who is the #1 luxury car company. BMW has FORGOTTEN what a BMW is. Simplicity and the best driver's cars. Not overcomplex systems the current cars have. And ugly will ALWAYS hurt your scores. Their new cars are ugly, period.

The GS is old, no reason to bring it and a new one is around the corner. No M45 either, though no one misses that car. It shows how crowded the segment is about to be and how CRUCIAL a car must be to be #1.

BTW, with BMW no longer having a STRANGLEHOLD, the new GS has a GREAT chance of being #1.
These test results simply reflect the basic philosophy of Road and Track magazine....and similiar publications like Car and Driver, Automobile, etc..... Even though, as stated, their objective in this particular test was not to compare high-powered V8's but the V6's that most people actually buy, they still put an emphasis on 0-60 times, skidpad figures, steering response, side-bolster seats, etc..... in other words, a sporty feel. They felt, perhaps justified, that the CTS simply had the best chassis dynamics....not surprising considering that the CTS was developed on the Nurburgring and that the newer BMW's have been modified so much with the new Active steering and suspension systems that have taken much of the former steering feel away from them. The CTS also had the strongest V6. I agree with you, though, about the CTS's interior...it is just one more example of typical GM fit-and-finish cheapness. So is the Chrysler 300...a nice-looking and driving car but saddled with cheap hardware and tinny doors...I thought they rated the 300's fit-and-finish too high myself ( I've seen the car and driven it )

Since they didn't have a Lexus in the test, if I had to pick and drive one of those cars in the test, I'd choose the Jag, even with that lousy J-shifter. As I mentioned in my earlier post, though, they didn't give any reason why the Lincoln LS was not included...a prime competitor to the CTS.