Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Body Kit Finally Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-04, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
ugh....you just HAD to bring that to table! Yeah, Fast and Frivolous just ruined it on a grand scale. Again, this is what happens with people who don't know **** try to fix up cars (aka: the director/writer...)
you guys know that the evo in the 2 fast 2 furious is a fake one right? it has no turbo
Old 04-09-04, 06:53 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
you guys know that the evo in the 2 fast 2 furious is a fake one right? it has no turbo
i didn't know that but its pretty sad...
Old 04-09-04, 07:49 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i gotta say is..... WHAT A THREAD! took me 45 min to read it the drama was great... make a movie haha

~ Stella
Old 04-09-04, 08:50 AM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

yeah i agree....drama
bla bla "i didn't get a rolex for graduation"

half of us roll pre 2000 GSs we picked up aftera few solid years of depreciation.

Our cars are our hobbies...id personally be happy spending time modding any car...its like building something up...asthetically, performance, etc. its our heart that is in the car. it really doesnt matter if u have JP tails or if you painted your tails with a $3 can of spray paint from pepboys.

Its kind of sad sometime when people on here focuss on the price of mods....as if buying HREs is so much better than having some Kitanas....whats cool is the feeling we get when WE chose parts for OUR cars and we put them on it....gawd. drama.

ill be posting pics of my car in a bout a week when it gets out of surgerey. ill tell you in advance...alot of my stuff is knockoff....alot of it isnt....but it looks damn good to me, and thats what matter.

peace and love
Old 04-09-04, 10:32 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

as if buying HREs is so much better than having some Kitanas
Okay, I'll play your game.. is a Lexus THAT much "better" than a Honda?
Is a Tag Heuer watch THAT much better than a Timex?

End of the day, you get what you pay for- and these ARE luxury items, nobody NEEDS them.. we WANT them!
Old 04-09-04, 10:46 AM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

better meaning what tho?

what is better? in my opinion, HREs in general have extremely ugly design.
So lets say I like the design of a Kitana rim....then to me they look "better" quality might not be as good....

it all depends on what kind of "better" you are looking for.

also, if my GS was released under the toyota flag id still buy it. i bought the car for asthetics and base hp reasons..... the fact that it is a lex is secondary to me.
Old 04-09-04, 10:46 AM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

oh and hahahaha, i just saw

HRE 841R 20x9 & 20x10 Yokohama AVS Sport 255/35-20+285/30-20

biased

nice work

defend them to the death
Old 04-09-04, 11:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by BostonGS4
oh and hahahaha, i just saw

HRE 841R 20x9 & 20x10 Yokohama AVS Sport 255/35-20+285/30-20

biased

nice work
defend them to the death
Not only is he biased because he owns a set of HRE wheels, Bob works for HRE.

But I think you missed his point. Most people buy their Lexus because of the marque and the quality. If you extend this idea, these same people should feel the same way about the components that goes on the car.

Everyone has different criteria on purchases. You've already stated yours: aesthetics & HP. I, therefore, assume that quality and marque are secondary in your decision. Now, I do not imply that these criteria are not important to you, just not primary. As for your wheel example, you like the looks of the Kitanas and may forgo the quality loss for the aesthetics. This is fine. These are your criteria for modding your car.

I, on the other hand, would like to get both quality and looks. I love HREs. I don't have them. I'd like to get a set so I'm waiting for the right opportunity to get a set. The designs are nice but somewhat traditional. I like that. I don't like designs that are out there. This is just my preference for modding my car.

Back to Bob's example. Hondas are nice and reliable cars. Do I think Lexus is "better"? Yes so I bought one. Maybe it is a state of mind and getting to a certain age where I want more, but once I got the Lexus and felt the quality, I cannot go back to a non-luxury marque. (If I had to get a beater, then that's a different story. ) I think (or maybe I've been brainwashed to think ) that parts for the car is the same way. I made some decisions early on based on cost. But, I did choose quality over aesthetics so low cost does not mean skimping on quality, just limited choices.

If you are happy with your decisions and the way your car turns out, kudos to you. I will not now or ever condemn you for your choices. There are many factors in the decision making process and I respect each individual's reasoning in making a choice, even if I disagree with it.

Last edited by Neo; 04-09-04 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 12:23 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I know everyone has their own opinion about what is quality but...i think if you compare konigs to HREs, 95% people would prefer HRE, if you didnt' tell them the brand of both wheels. For example, how many of you guys are Snap-on guys vs. craftsman, i'm startingi to be a snap-on guy. I'd rather have a snap-on torque wrench for 30 years and still have accuracy instead of a craftsman that lasts for 5 years, yes, it's 4 times the cost but it's worth it. My own opinion.
Old 04-09-04, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok it has come to the point that this thread is way OT and i will move it

but my last note to boston, you can love whateve ryou want, there is nothing wrong with that, and no one is stopping you. if you have structural evidence about teh strength of hre though, i am sure everyone would love to hear. personally i haven't heard that many stories on cracked hre (i have seen them though, but it's not a lot like all the konigs i see out there)

and hre wheels are ugly in general, i find that pretty funny personally. so that means all bbs wheels are ugly, then the ssr are also ugly. also most volks are ugly. man must be hard to get wheels

oh and don't tell me i am biased coz' i have hre. i am not even taking any postion
Old 04-09-04, 01:18 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

wow...

no doubt, it is ALL about preference.
i like what i like, you like what you like.

im glad you find my comment about HREs funny, i find alot of what people say around here funny
sometimes it reminds me of when my gf talks about gucci bags with her friends...

oh, btw, i would never condemn anyone for their choices....all the cars on here are great in their own way? you know? some choices are just not ones I would make and I know for sure some of the choices I make with my car some of you would not make.

its all good.

Last edited by BostonGS4; 04-09-04 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 01:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default don't know anymore

Please guys/gals, let's end this.
Let's end it by agreeing to be more careful in stating our opinions.
We have a great board, let's keep it that way.
Old 04-09-04, 01:34 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

Congrats on your new body kit JohnGS4

omg, we have the same last name

Last edited by BostonGS4; 04-09-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 01:38 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, what people will do the justify crappy products they bought.....I suppose a Kogi LCD monitor is "better" than a NEC LCD monitor because you like "looks" of the Kogi.....? "Looks good to me"...ha....

Kitanas are mostly knock-offs so the "look" you like probably exists as a quality wheel somewhere else. So what's your excuse now? Oh yeah, you don't buy quality. You're in it strictly for the "looks"....you're right, there are lot of people here who are focused too much on price...

GSNav - You can't even do the Snap-on vs. Craftsman comparison. It's more like Snap-ov vs. some no name crap from who-knows-where....at least with Craftsman, they give a lifetime warranty and they stand behind their products. How many low end wheel companies stand behind their products?

Snap-on would be more like the iForged, Kinesis, HRE, Fikse, Work, Rays type wheels, Craftsman is more like the high quality cast wheels from Hart, Weds, Arrow, etc....the no-namers are like Kitana, Konig, G-Racing, etc....

But I agree, for some tools, Snap-on (and Mac) is the way to go...for other though, Craftsman works just fine.

Henry - It's ALL FAKE in 2F2F....but that's how the movies are....there's a new movie coming out with Brad Pitt (I think) with some crazy car stuff...a bunch of fixed up BMW 5's (the last body style)...they're all suppose to be M5's but a lot of them get crashed and burned....out of the 10 or so cars, exactly 0 (ZERO) of them are real M5's. I was there while they were squibbing the cars (installing little exposive charges under the sheet metal that explode on cue to make it look like gunshot holes...there's no real bullets flying around) so I got to see all of them....horrible Colorado Custom wheels (Colorado Custom shouldn't even be allowed to make a wheel with a BMW, or Lexus, bolt pattern...they should stick to American cars/trucks)....but hey, that's what the director wanted....
Old 04-09-04, 01:47 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

Cool

how bout everyone rent Initial D and relax

Quick Reply: Body Kit Finally Installed...