Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OMG OMG...Toyota reveals the hybrid supercar at the Geneva show!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting, though.....there IS a center headrest.....unless my eyes are playing tricks there, too.
Old 08-26-04, 10:37 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmarshall
Interesting, though.....there IS a center headrest.....unless my eyes are playing tricks there, too.
Nope you're not seeing things. From the Toyota website:
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html
In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0 - 60 acceleration in a mere 4 seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.
Old 08-27-04, 06:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

This give you an idea how credible Autospies can be : LINK
Old 09-01-04, 10:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Just happened to find this article about the Volta:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

While for the most part it is no different from any other reports, this particular paragraph caught my eyes:
"Each electric motor drives two wheels. The V6 plays no role in powering the wheels so there's no need for a gearbox. This also means the V6 doesn't have to be used continually and can be placed in any position within the chassis."

What this means is, the V6 in this hybrid is strictly an electricity generator! This makes it very, vastly different from any other electric/gas hybrids out there, including the RX400h which uses the same motor. In some way the Volta is more like a pure electric car. A hybrid in my book should be "powered" by both electricity and gas.

Also benefiting from this design are the pedals:
"Because the car is powered primarily by electricity there is no need for conventional mechanical pedals.

Instead the two pedals – for braking and acceleration – are on sliding strips that can be moved fore, aft and sideways to suit the driver."

Anyone else finds this an interesting innovation from Toyota?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-01-04 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by XeroK00L

While for the most part it is no different from any other reports, this particular paragraph caught my eyes:
"Each electric motor drives two wheels. The V6 plays no role in powering the wheels so there's no need for a gearbox. This also means the V6 doesn't have to be used continually and can be placed in any position within the chassis."

What this means is, the V6 in this hybrid is strictly an electricity generator! This makes it very, vastly different from any other electric/gas hybrids out there, including the RX400h which uses the same motor. In some way the Volta is more like a pure electric car. A hybrid in my book should be "powered" by both electricity and gas.

"Because the car is powered primarily by electricity there is no need for conventional mechanical pedals.

Instead the two pedals – for braking and acceleration – are on sliding strips that can be moved fore, aft and sideways to suit the driver."

Dude, great find. That is amazing info.

Old 09-02-04, 03:35 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, why use a V6? Isn't there a way of using smaller, more efficient (say natural gas or propane) applications that could save space as well? If they're gonna go through all the work to develop a new car, might as well not throw in a motor laying around in the parts bin. Really like this car and all they've done with it. The technology out there is crazy!

James
Old 09-02-04, 05:12 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

can they really do that???

it's an amazing idea nontheless
Old 09-06-04, 03:13 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

awesome performance specs... but am i the only one that thinks it looks rather ugly?
Old 09-06-04, 03:15 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Well knock my socks off. This proves Toyota is years ahead of anyone else. Way to go, Toyota!