Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Article: He owns 2 Ferrari Enzos!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 09:16 PM
JIMMY540i.com
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Article: He owns 2 Ferrari Enzos!

Just saw this article. Splendid guy w/ a splendid life...

So here goes:

======================================================
<B>Robert Farago slips behind the wheel of the ultimate road car</B>

You expect a Ferrari Enzo to be quick; a “slow supercar” is as much of an oxymoron as a “fast moped”. You also expect an Enzo to be temperamental; Ferrari freely admits that post-delivery mechanical malfunctions are an integral part of the development process. But most of all, you expect it to be beautiful. Think of it this way: if the $650k Enzo wasn’t beautiful, everyone who saw one would consider its owner a fool.

Benny Caiola Jr. is no fool. Saying that, would you lend your Ferrari Enzo to a stranger? Before you answer, consider this: the New York property developer owns <U><B>two of them. And an F40, F40LM, F50, 333SP, 512BB, 575M, 456, 355, Dino, four 360s, a Lamborghini Diablo and Murcielago, Pagani Zonda, Porsche GT2 and Aston Martin Vanquish.</U></B>

So even if a visiting journalist somehow carved his place in automotive infamy, Benny wouldn’t be taking the bus...

<B>On Cue </B>

Anyway, as I approach Benny’s Enzo, I respect the man’s taste. With the exception of its round tail lights and the prancing horse emblem embedded in the rear mesh, the Enzo doesn’t share a single design cue with its predecessors. Yet it’s unmistakably Ferrari. The F1-style nose gets all the press, but it’s the Enzo’s blend of exquisite details and balanced proportions that creates its brand-specific charisma. To say the end result is aesthetically appealing is like saying Enrico Caruso could carry a tune.

The Enzo’s melody starts with a ferocious bark. Ferrari’s largest ever V12 (in a passenger car) quickly settles into an idle with so much low frequency bass you’d swear an alien mother ship was hovering overhead. The cockpit’s eight steering wheel-mounted buttons, seven rev lights, oversized analogue speedo and tachometer, glowing digital display, traditional column stalks and bat-eared paddle shifts present a formidable challenge to a human operator. Fortunately, the carbon fibre seats provide a comfortable perch from which to sort it all out.

<B>Touch Sensitive </B>

Even before I leave Benny’s drive, I’m surprised by the Enzo’s delicate responses. The slightest touch on the left pedal and 15” carbon ceramic brakes threaten to hurl me through the windshield. The smallest input on the wheel and we’re headed in a different direction. Clearly, thankfully, the days when driving a Ferrari meant wrestling with recalcitrant mechanicals in the world’s fastest sauna ended with the passing of the Enzo’s namesake. Ferrari’s latest and greatest is a finely balanced precision instrument that doesn’t make you pay [anything except money] for the privilege.

In fact, the Enzo proves itself as happy trundling around town as a big-engined Beemer. With 485 ft. lbs. of torque on tap, there’s never any question of bunny hopping or hunting for the right gear. Parallel parking is a *****, and luggage space is restricted to what you can put in your pockets, but the Enzo’s user-friendly dynamics at sub-warp speeds make it a viable - if astounding - daily driver.

<B>Warp Factor </B>

When Benny points at the Hutchinson River Parkway onramp, the look on his face tells me ambling time is over…

The moment I give the Enzo’s go-pedal a shove, the 660hp two-seater surges ahead with all the genetic imperative of a race horse bolting from the starting gate. The thrust is so explosive I struggle to judge my exact role in the proceedings. Instinct tells me to tap her into third gear before the 48-valve engine blows up, and avoid solid objects. Five seconds later, I’ve managed to calm things down to a subjectively sedate 150mph.

As I get used to driving in hyperspace, the traffic ahead can’t get out of my way fast enough - literally. By the time a driver clocks the Enzo’s yellow prow in their rear view mirror, I’m already waiting for them to move over. As a result, I’m driving the Enzo in a series of full-bore sprints that bring new meaning to the words “in gear acceleration”. While the engine note is nowhere near as loud as an F50’s, neither is an F14’s. Let’s just say what the Enzo’s soundtrack lacks in volume it makes up in drama.

Perhaps you’d like to know how a Ferrari Enzo handles in the corners. So would I. When I ask Benny to direct me to an appropriately twisty road, he invites me for lunch. Oh well. Suffice it to say, nothing “the Hutch” could throw at the Enzo - off camber bends, broken pavement, lunatic SUV drivers - could disturb the car’s sure-footed poise, at speeds that defy both law and logic. It feels light, tight and right.

As we head back to Villa Caiola, I try to make sense of what just happened. I’m elated to have scored major seat time in an Enzo. But more than that, I’m relieved that the supercar lived up to my every expectation. The Ferrari Enzo is both beauty and the beast.

======================================================

Man ~ and I thought owning a 360 is cool.

JIMMY
Old 02-24-04, 10:07 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Article: He owns 2 Ferrari Enzos!

Originally posted by **************
Benny Caiola Jr. is no fool. Saying that, would you lend your Ferrari Enzo to a stranger? Before you answer, consider this: the New York property developer owns two of them. And an F40, F40LM, F50, 333SP, 512BB, 575M, 456, 355, Dino, four 360s, a Lamborghini Diablo and Murcielago, Pagani Zonda, Porsche GT2 and Aston Martin Vanquish.

holy crap!
Old 02-24-04, 10:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Makes me wonder what his grocery getter is...
Old 02-24-04, 11:18 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

thats freaken amazing....
Old 02-24-04, 11:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow..........His car collection is crazy.
Old 02-25-04, 05:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Great collection of cars!!
I still don't care for the Enzo tho
Old 02-25-04, 07:05 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that is just nuts!!
Great story Jimmy.

Since I am jobless at the moment, I should look into property development, LOL.
Old 02-25-04, 08:16 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Good read...thanks for posting the article....man I love the Enzo

Old 02-25-04, 12:41 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

And an F40, F40LM, F50, 333SP, 512BB, 575M, 456, 355, Dino, four 360s, a Lamborghini Diablo and Murcielago, Pagani Zonda, Porsche GT2 and Aston Martin Vanquish.
Now if only I had that kind of cash just lying around for this kind of collection! Plus on top of all those, TWO Enzos..... How lovely
Old 02-25-04, 12:41 PM
Milla...

Hey if you raked in hundreds of thousands annually what cars would you own.
Old 02-25-04, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

holy...
Old 02-25-04, 01:34 PM
Static911

Nice! I know a guy who buys a new Bentley / Rolls Royce every couple years for some insane reason which I'm still trying to comprehend. Does your wife like to go shopping? Sure, take your private jet and fly to the a shopping plaza in another state for a day to shop (until you drop) and fly back home! Life must be very nice...
Old 02-25-04, 01:56 PM
Milla...

Yes nice, and stressful, the grass is always greener on the other side. The rich man's enemy is is Uncle Sam and the wealthier you are the more effort it takes to keep him away. Which may explain the new Bently / RR's every couple of years. Taxes are a completely different beast when your trying to maintain your wealth. You do those things because you have to, believe me.
Old 02-25-04, 02:37 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I think he's a god..
Old 02-25-04, 02:41 PM
Milla...

Only if you worship him.

Quick Reply: Article: He owns 2 Ferrari Enzos!