Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ding And Scratch Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 05:14 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ding And Scratch Prevention

I compiled this master list from many of the threads here...did I miss anything?

DING AND SCRATCH PREVENTION

1. Park far, far away from the stores and everyone else in the lot. Park far enough away to be away from another car, but not too far away lest it dare someone into parking next to you. Don't park so far away that you are not in a clear - well lit area and make yourself a target for vandals and/or petty theft.
2. Park on an end and get close to it to prevent at least one side from getting hit.
3. Remind passengers to be careful (especially of gravity and the wind) when opening doors.
4. Do not park next to next to a pole or wall or other obstacle if you have passengers.
5. Don't park too close to the main entrance or exit to avoid getting hit.
6. Always go slowly when pulling in/backing up. Also - stop and look behind you first when backing up.
7. Never Valet park.
8. Don't leave your car for long periods of time in a foreign lot.
9. Never take up more than one space or park crooked EVEN if you aren't near another car... this is just asking for trouble.
10. Try to avoid parking directly under a tree, bridge, or other structure to avoid falling debris such as sap, rocks, and bird droppings. If you get hit with bird droppings, clean it off immediately with a alcohol-based glass cleaner spray (ammonia-free only!) and gently wipe with microfiber towel then rinse with clean water.
11. Don't parallel park - avoid people tapping your bumpers.
12. Be careful parking at Mini-Markets and Gas Stations - people are usually in a rush and careless there.
13. Never park next to a handicapped spot.
14. Never park next to a minivan.
15. Never park next to a big truck or SUV.
16. Never park next to a 2 door car - doors swing open far.
17. Never park next to a junker - park next to a nice car if you can/have to. Don't assume that another owner is as respectful of your car as their own, even if it's a nice car. Many people live their lives unconsciously, and don't take the time to consider the results of their actions, even if it risks themselves or their belongings.
18. Never park near the shopping cart corral.
19. Try to avoid at all costs parking next to a car that is higher on a slope, especially a 2 door. Gravity can easily pull the door beyond the 1st bump stop and give you a good broadside.
20. Be aware of windy days. They can catch YOUR door and smack someone else's car or another object.
21. Be careful when/if your car is towed.
22. Don't have blind faith/trust in the Lexus dealer's lot or staff. Make sure you tell the Service Advisor that you know the condition of your car and expect it to be returned the exact same way. Decline the free washes.
23. Stay away from busy malls or park a fair disance away and avoid peak shopping times!
24. Keep an eye out for creative spots. Park out of traffic's way but don't appear as an arrogant a-hole or taking advantage.
25. Avoid all Automatic Car Washes and never use the coin-up brush. Only wipe Micro Fiber towels and quality care products.
26. Don't let anybody else - especially women - drive your car.
27. Be careful pulling into parking spots with a front curb or wall and hitting it with your lip or bumper. Also be careful of scratching rims with curb when parallel parking.
28. Don't follow behind trucks carrying debris.
29. Never park near low hanging branches or hedges that may scratch your car.
30. Never park near where kids play.
31. Drive a beater for "dangerous" missions.
32. Never use an ice scraper or a snow brush on your glass/car! Wrap a MicroFiber towel around a very soft brush to remove snow. As for the ice, use the heater and wait.

It's a cold, hard, dangerous, nasty world out there! Be careful!

Last edited by Gekko; 02-24-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 06:57 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leave your car at home in the garage...with a car cover.....always.
Old 02-18-04, 07:58 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gekko, Copy and laminate your list ,give it to your wife and you will be OK!!!!
Old 02-18-04, 11:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

this is almost worthy of the detail forum
Old 02-19-04, 04:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Scratch removal

If you DO get minor scratches or blotches in the paint, I recommend a product called "SCRATCH OUT".
It comes in a small yellow bottle ($3-$5 at auto parts and drug stores) and is rubbed on and wiped off like wax. It does an excellent job of keeping the paint looking like new. It will take out almost anything as long as it is not too deep in the paint....though sometimes you have to rub it pretty hard.
Old 02-19-04, 06:02 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never park anywhere near a place where kids ride bikes or scooters and insist that your own children never to ride these things near cars.
Old 02-19-04, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
Never park anywhere near a place where kids ride bikes or scooters and insist that your own children never to ride these things near cars.
Yes, this is a good idea but impractical or impossible in a lot of places...for instance, in an apartment complex or condo you may not have much choice.
One can also train one's OWN kids to have a little respect and care for other people's property....something too many parents don't do.
Old 02-19-04, 12:41 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ding And Scratch Prevention

Originally posted by Gekko

10. Try to avoid parking directly under a tree, bridge, or other structure to avoid bird droppings.
Bird droppings can dent and scratch your car!? It must be crap from big bird.

This reminds me when some guy in a house got struck by a big round ball of frozen feces from a plane.
Old 02-19-04, 01:03 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexkost
Gekko, Copy and laminate your list ,give it to your wife and you will be OK!!!!
Oh man
I need to substitute "wife" for "GF"
Old 02-19-04, 01:30 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

mmarshall, If you live in an apartment complex, you'll have a difficult time with many of these suggestions.

I once worked with a guy who had an M3 that he really babied. Whenever he drove it to work and parked it he had this inflatable tube bumper thing that was about a foot wide, 6 inches thick when inflated and went all the way around the car. Some protection, huh?

George
Old 02-19-04, 01:59 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mmarshall, If you live in an apartment complex, you'll have a difficult time with many of these suggestions.

I once worked with a guy who had an M3 that he really babied. Whenever he drove it to work and parked it he had this inflatable tube bumper thing that was about a foot wide, 6 inches thick when inflated and went all the way around the car. Some protection, huh?

George
Are you serious?
Old 02-19-04, 02:08 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Yep, for real. I still see him every now and then. Do you want to know where to buy one?

George
Old 02-19-04, 02:36 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

>> Ultimate Ding And Scratch Prevention ............. A Beater
Old 02-19-04, 09:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You mean you actually STOP and PARK?!!!
The horror....
Old 02-20-04, 05:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

George
Sounds like what you see on bumper cars at the amusement park.
Yes, I park at night in a condo townhouse lot, but my car is protected during the day in a parking garage.....in a PROTECTED no door-ding space.

One word of caution, guys, about concrete parking garages:
When you park there on a wet or snowy day ( or during snowmelt ) check the roof above you for leaks. Water seeps down through the cracks and joints in the concrete, absorbs calcium and lime, and can form an caustic solution that will corrode paint if it drips on your car. Fortunately I have not had this happen to me, but I have seen the results of it on other cars.

Quick Reply: Ding And Scratch Prevention