Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota launches 'active steering' next-gen traction control system (on the next GS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Default Toyota launches 'active steering' next-gen traction control system (on the next GS)

Toyota launches 'active steering' next-gen traction control system

By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

TOKYO - Toyota Motor Corp. has unveiled its next generation traction control system, which will be deployed first in the redesigned Lexus GS 430 sedan arriving in North America in February 2005. The system, called Vehicle Dynamics Management, or VDM, employs what Toyota calls "active steering" to keep drivers from having to countersteer to correct a potential spin when the wheels lose their grip on slippery surfaces.

Previous Toyota stability control systems used the antilock braking and engine management systems to send power to wheels that still had traction. Some Lexus vehicles were equipped with active suspension systems that also were involved in the traction control system.

But while VDM still uses that basic technology, it also employs steer-by-wire software that automatically sends steering inputs to the wheels to keep the vehicle on track.

With VDM, the steer-by-wire system modifies the steering boost control. Instead of waiting for the vehicle to yaw, it starts modulating the steering as soon as a loss of traction is detected. In other words, it corrects for the skid before the driver would even notice the loss of traction, making countersteering unnecessary.

While such a system may seem counterintuitive to skilled drivers, Toyota research shows that nearly 40 percent of drivers involved in accidents took no action to avoid the accident.

"In many cases, the driver panics," said Takeshi Uchiyamada, Toyota senior managing director. "Accidents happen maybe one or two times in a lifetime, so we give supplemental help to the driver."

Taken from my Gavrlil at Acura-CL.com

Old 10-29-03, 02:44 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And they will have a way to turn it off right?!?

BTW: I wouldn't care if they had a black box that told them in the case of an accident whether I had turned it off if that prevents them from giving me the control.
Old 10-29-03, 02:48 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

cool!
Old 10-29-03, 03:06 PM
LexFather

And they will have a way to turn it off right?!?
We have not figured that out yet. BMW has this in the new 5. I figure if a great driver controls the car, u would not even notice it.

Old 10-29-03, 03:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

i somewhat figured this was coming after they made a car that parked itself

(showed a steering control function already in the works)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-29-03 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 03:13 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
We have not figured that out yet. BMW has this in the new 5. I figure if a great driver controls the car, u would not even notice it.
I wouldn't be so sure. You can feel the VSC interfere before you're really in trouble in a turn right? If it were a BMW, Ferrari or Porsche I'd share your optimisim but as it is I'm keeping fingers crossed.
Old 10-29-03, 04:27 PM
LexFather

Oh VSC is too touchy for me. It is kinda ridiculous in a ES or RX. I am sure this is more advanced though.

Old 10-29-03, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts
Default Re: Toyota launches 'active steering' next-gen traction control system (on the next GS)

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
While such a system may seem counterintuitive to skilled drivers, Toyota research shows that nearly 40 percent of drivers involved in accidents took no action to avoid the accident.
So only 60% of drivers will get confused?
Old 10-29-03, 09:51 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Toyota launches 'active steering' next-gen traction control system (on the next GS)

Originally posted by bitkahuna
So only 60% of drivers will get confused?
LMAO....
Old 10-31-03, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Active stability control

This idea truly, positively SUCKS....and I very rarely use offensive language on this forum, which tells you something. So Toyota/ Lexus feels that simple ABS brake-activated stability control is not enough....the car actually has to STEER its way out of plowing or a spinout with the front wheels. Did the morons who came up with this idea ever stop and think what would happen if the system activated itself going around a two-lane curve and steered the front wheels right across the center line of the curve into an oncoming car for a nice head-on collision? Ahhh, the joys of technology.........