Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi dealership won't give me my desposit back, what can I do?

Old 01-27-08, 02:39 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi dealership won't give me my desposit back, what can I do?

Before I bought my S5 I put a deposit on another one at a different dealership (car was arriving later) just in case the first dealership wouldn't give me a fair trade in value. The first dealership ended up matching the others so I ended up getting the car there. This was on NYE. I contacted the other dealership asking for my refund back and the salesperson agreed. A couple weeks later I still didn't see the refund so I called him again and he said that he processed the refund (which is bull**** because it only takes a few days). I asked to speak to the sales manager and left a voice message and he didn't even get back to me. What can I do at this point?
Old 01-27-08, 02:42 PM
ninous26
Driver

Go there in person and throw a fit.. How much was the deposit?
Old 01-27-08, 02:48 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

it was 500
Old 01-27-08, 03:29 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your put it on a credit card, call your credit card company and request a charge back. You didn't receive any goods or services, so it shouldn't be that difficult to have it reversed.
Old 01-27-08, 03:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing's first. Check your paperwork and make sure that the paperwork that you signed when you put the deposit down is not such that the deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. Barring this case, next go back to the dealership in person and ask for the sales manager or someone in charge and ask for your money back. In the worse case scenerio, ask for the number of the ZONE REPRESENTATIVE for their Audi dealership and get in contact with them. Bottom line is, you did not receive any goods and/or services and as long as the paperwork you signed doesnt state that the deposit is non-refundable then you should get your money back.
Old 01-27-08, 03:54 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

depends on your state, here in TX, they cant legally keep the deposit
Old 01-27-08, 06:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely dispute the charge if it's on your credit card. I agree to go there in person, after you have read your paperwork carefully. Make a stink (but don't get down to cursing or name calling--keep it professional), loud enough so other customers can year. If you are sure that your paperwork favors you, tell them you will file a complaint with the state attorney general (it's probably easy to do on line), which you know they'll investigate since you will not have been the first person they did this to; you will file a complaint with the BBB; and you will call the local TV station consumer reporters--February sweeps is coming up--they love stories like this, and Feb will be brutal with the writer's strike and all.
Old 01-27-08, 07:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I thought deposits were never refundable. Otherwise, people would just hold cars even if they were unlikely to purchase (especially on a credit card).

This practice would hurt dealerships who could sell the car to someone else but is forced to hold it for an unsure buyer.
Old 01-27-08, 07:30 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't receive any paperwork other than a invoice. I didn't sign anything because I put the deposit over the phone. I did ask if it was refundable which they answered yes (otherwise I would not have made a deposit). Would it make any difference that I didn't sign anything.

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I thought deposits were never refundable. Otherwise, people would just hold cars even if they were unlikely to purchase (especially on a credit card).

This practice would hurt dealerships who could sell the car to someone else but is forced to hold it for an unsure buyer.
no most dealerships give you a refund on deposits.
Old 01-27-08, 07:43 PM
ninous26
Driver

You should def. get your money back if there was nothing signed.. They even verbally said it is refundable.. Tell them that.. If it comes down to them not giving you the money then just sue.. If you did it over the phone what did you use? Credit card? If so you should get your deposit back with ease.
Old 01-27-08, 07:48 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually I believe most are refundable. All it takes is a quick phone call for the dealer to find out if you are serious or not. The deposit just reserves your spot on the paper waiting list. When they get the cars in, they call up the people on the reserved waiting list. If you pass, they move on to the next guy on the list and give you back your money.
Old 01-28-08, 04:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All the dealer does is turn around and sell the car to someone else--they lose no money (unless its a purely unusual special order). If the dealer could keep the deposit, it's pure profit to them.

It's just meant as a show of "good faith" that you are serious about buying--most people would not put down a deposit if they weren't serious because they'd be afraid of losing the deposit. But with NO deposit, many people would "order" a car and never pick it up, with no hint or threat of adverse consequences. Like making a restaurant reservation and never showing up.
Old 01-28-08, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jherb350
If your put it on a credit card, call your credit card company and request a charge back. You didn't receive any goods or services, so it shouldn't be that difficult to have it reversed.
That only works if your credit card company hasn't actually paid it yet. Check your account first (you can usually access your account on-line). If the deposit has already been paid, it's too late to cancel it...you will have to go through the bill-dispute process.
Old 01-28-08, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That only works if your credit card company hasn't actually paid it yet. Check your account first (you can usually access your account on-line). If the deposit has already been paid, it's too late to cancel it...you will have to go through the bill-dispute process.
Calling them IS the bill dispute process, and even if it's already been paid, the card transaction processor can TAKE the money back from the merchant if they fail to defend themselves in the dispute.
Old 01-28-08, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Calling them IS the bill dispute process, and even if it's already been paid, the card transaction processor can TAKE the money back from the merchant if they fail to defend themselves in the dispute.
Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry if the wording in my post was unclear. But, in most cases, you can check to see if it has been paid or not just by accessing the account on-line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi dealership won't give me my desposit back, what can I do?