Canada For events in Canada.

Steel wheels for winter use on Lexus 300H 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 11:54 AM
neild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel wheels for winter use on Lexus 300H 2013

I went to my dealer and inquired on steel wheels for my winter tires and they didn't recommended t them, the reasoning was they would rub.
I always had steel wheels for my winter tires and don't want ruin my original wheels with the harsh winters we have.
Went to a Toyota dealer next to my office and they told me there should be no issue since the ES300H is mounted on the same chassis as a Toyota Avalon and they sell steel wheels for them.
Don't know who to rely on.

Thanks
Neil
Old 11-11-14, 01:18 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If the steel wheels are the right size, they will not rub, whoever told you that is blowing smoke. I agree with the toyota dealer.

I picked up a set of used OEM wheels off kijiji for the same prices as new steelies...
Old 11-14-14, 12:26 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on width and offset, but steel wheels pretty much come in one spec and like 2 manufactures make it

in your case, on a ES300H i wouldn't see any reason it would rub

the guy just wants to scam you money for overpriced replica alloys at stealership prices
Old 12-03-14, 02:31 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could never figure out why people would want steel wheels. I thought it was usually a budget issue. however when I see nicer cars with them I cant help but think I wouldn't want my car looking like a turd 6 months out of the year. I would try to find another set of OEMs on Kijiji of buy a nice set of wheels for summer and use the OEMs for winter.
Old 12-08-14, 04:45 PM
neild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I could never figure out why people would want steel wheels. I thought it was usually a budget issue. however when I see nicer cars with them I cant help but think I wouldn't want my car looking like a turd 6 months out of the year. I would try to find another set of OEMs on Kijiji of buy a nice set of wheels for summer and use the OEMs for winter.
I do agree and that is the reason why I ended buying a new set of wheels for winter use, my concern iis that the streets here in Montreal have so many potholes and it doesn't take that much for the wheels to get damaged. Furthermore steel where are more easier available vs having to change all the wheels in case you can't find a replacement for one damaged wheel.
Old 12-14-14, 10:47 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by neild
I do agree and that is the reason why I ended buying a new set of wheels for winter use, my concern iis that the streets here in Montreal have so many potholes and it doesn't take that much for the wheels to get damaged. Furthermore steel where are more easier available vs having to change all the wheels in case you can't find a replacement for one damaged wheel.
Our roads are bad regardless what time of the year it is!

I personally don't run steelies to avoid having to waste time painting them (when they rust) and it makes the car look awful.

But if you need steel wheels for cheap, call FCP, they even have used sets for nearly half the price of a new one. Great service over there