Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Local Chapters and Regional Forums > Regional ClubLexus Forums > Canada
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Please Help: Rust spots on my new RX350!

Old 04-07-14, 04:45 PM   #16
mshen
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat dude View Post
It's really stupid when Lexus doesn't stand behind their cars or warranty. They should replace the parts no questions asked.
I agree. But... there is still no answer from them and it has been over 6 weeks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
mshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 02:10 PM   #17
mshen
Driver School Candidate

Angry "environmental damage"???

I just received a call from Lexus Canada warranty department (spoke to Ursula Sadiswa).

Their final answer is that they will not replace affected part (rear quarter panel) and only fix the rust spot and repaint it. According to Lexus Canad this is not a manufacturing defect but "environmental damage"!
Ms. Sadiswa declined to comment when asked how environmental damage could cause few rust spots in 6 months old car with only 7000 km on odometer. Her final answer was: "...this is all you are entitled according to Lexus warranty. You can read the warranty manual, it's in your car".

I am taking this issue into the small claims court
mshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 05:50 PM   #18
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

This rust issue is not unique. My wife and I went into Lexus of Kingston and picked up 2 RX350's one for each of us. They are both rusting like crazy in the rear end.

My wife's "L" emblem on the rear door is surrounded by rust. Also many rust spots around the door.

The rear of mine is also covered with rust spots around the door.

The paint is very thin. It looks like Lexus is going cheap trying to save money anywhere they can. Previously I've had Fords with much thicker paint than these two vehicles we have now... I thought I'd like a more luxurious vehicle but as it stands now we probably won't be replacing these two with another Lexus the next time around.

We also had many electrical issues. Car doors lock unexpectedly when outside the vehicle. Beeping about everything. Features that work and then won't work...

These two are now only 1 year old with 20,000 kms on each and they're a mess.

We're not impressed.
MGGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 02:54 PM   #19
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Happened to go to this particular forum and found your post. (Usually I frequent the 3rd Gen RX forum) Ours which is a 2011 RX doesn't have these kind of rust spots on those rear areas even after 3 solid years. But it was made in Japan because of the particular package on the car. Everything is solid on ours except there is some slight cosmetic defects around the edge of the wood trim on the driver'a door.

You are not alone as a friend of mine who has a 2014 RX 350 F- Sport since December 2013 also commented some rust spots already developed in the edge of the trunk lid (only seen when you open the tailgate and the rusts are near those weld holes) For Lexus of RH, their customer service has been excellent to me. Their service manager Mike is very accommodating when there is a problem. Please keep us posted how it goes with Lexus Canada.
Old 04-26-14, 07:00 AM   #20
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

Update: After returning to our dealer Lexus inspected the car and they have agreed to replace the rear door, repair and repaint the rear. All areas where rust is occurring by attached components will be separated from the body by 3M body shield to decrease the rust threat. All done under warranty.

So next step is to see if this actually happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGF View Post
This rust issue is not unique. My wife and I went into Lexus of Kingston and picked up 2 RX350's one for each of us. They are both rusting like crazy in the rear end.

My wife's "L" emblem on the rear door is surrounded by rust. Also many rust spots around the door.

The rear of mine is also covered with rust spots around the door.

The paint is very thin. It looks like Lexus is going cheap trying to save money anywhere they can. Previously I've had Fords with much thicker paint than these two vehicles we have now... I thought I'd like a more luxurious vehicle but as it stands now we probably won't be replacing these two with another Lexus the next time around.

We also had many electrical issues. Car doors lock unexpectedly when outside the vehicle. Beeping about everything. Features that work and then won't work...

These two are now only 1 year old with 20,000 kms on each and they're a mess.

We're not impressed.
Old 04-28-14, 08:41 PM   #21
mian
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshen View Post
I just received a call from Lexus Canada warranty department (spoke to Ursula Sadiswa).

Their final answer is that they will not replace affected part (rear quarter panel) and only fix the rust spot and repaint it. According to Lexus Canad this is not a manufacturing defect but "environmental damage"!
Ms. Sadiswa declined to comment when asked how environmental damage could cause few rust spots in 6 months old car with only 7000 km on odometer. Her final answer was: "...this is all you are entitled according to Lexus warranty. You can read the warranty manual, it's in your car".

I am taking this issue into the small claims court
I do not know how, but if somehow the experience of MGGF , with their dealer in Peterbrough can be brought to the knowledge of downtown lexus, may be they can change their minds. In anycase it should strengthen your small claim court case.
I am afraid small claim court process is very cumbersome and time consuming to say the least.
Perhaps another talk to Downtown Lexus's top dog might help? Worth trying? Anyhow good luck and in the meantime congratulations to MGGF for talking their dealer into replacing the back door and other remedies. Perhaps this should be seen as a precedent setting once MGGF can get their repairs done!
mian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 04:59 PM   #22
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mian View Post
I do not know how, but if somehow the experience of MGGF , with their dealer in Peterbrough can be brought to the knowledge of downtown lexus, may be they can change their minds. In anycase it should strengthen your small claim court case.
I am afraid small claim court process is very cumbersome and time consuming to say the least.
Perhaps another talk to Downtown Lexus's top dog might help? Worth trying? Anyhow good luck and in the meantime congratulations to MGGF for talking their dealer into replacing the back door and other remedies. Perhaps this should be seen as a precedent setting once MGGF can get their repairs done!
One caution here... while the dealer has agreed to this action they must ask permission from Lexus, and so far Lexus has not responded with any permission. So in the meantime we are letting the back end rust away on its own in the hopes it will set an example to others as to what $50 to $70k will buy you in a luxury RX350. I hope it acts as good advertising for Lexus.

At this rate we'll be done with the vehicle before Lexus make a decision.
Old 05-06-14, 07:03 AM   #23
IS3Fguy
Driver

Please let us know with the updates. I recently got a new IS and would like to know how Lexus deal with customers post purchase. I am new to Lexus.
IS3Fguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 05:55 PM   #24
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

Default Rust Update....

We now have an appointment date this week to have the rear door replaced by Lexus. They have decided to replace the door and repaint to match the vehicle. All of the door items like the rear window, emblem, lights etc will be swapped from the old to new door and prior to install 3M plastic put between them so they won't rust again. No vibration or water intrusion so they tell us.

We also get a new loaner vehicle for the 2 to 3 days it takes to do this.

Lexus is covering it all.....
Old 05-30-14, 04:51 PM   #25
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

Default Rust Update again..

Today is Friday and we received our RX back today. A new tailgate, all fixed and no rust... well sort of.

We arrived at the dealer in Kingston and they inspected the tailgate when it returned from the paint shop and found the bottom lip of the tailgate was not painted at all. The area under the back window is rough like sandpaper. Probably over spray. Obviously the painter was a high school dropout who had no clue about how to paint anything. What a crappy job. Now we have to drop off the vehicle once again next week so they can do it over.

This is a prime example of the blue colar work ethic. I want my pay but I don't really want to work.

I'm so damn sick of this vehicle and the screwups I'd like to just get rid of it.

Lexus should know better than to allow a vehicle to leave the factory in this condition and then it's also the people they have to deal with to fix these issues like the paint shop... I have NEVER had this with any vehicle I've ever owned before and I really question why this is happening.

More later.. I'm sure this will become a saga.
Old 06-11-14, 10:59 AM   #26
MGGF
Driver School Candidate

Default Final Rust update...

It's now painted the second time... and this time it appears to be Ok. Painted missed points and buffed the rough spots.. finally done.
Old 06-26-14, 02:07 AM   #27
1WILLY1
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (7)

what a nightmare, I hear nothing but problems with the RX's
Old 06-26-14, 02:07 AM