Canada For events in Canada.

cc FOB key cut with VIN only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 02:50 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cc FOB key cut with VIN only?

I am in USA. I want a mechanical key cut for a cc key FOB. I can buy the cc FOB here in USA, but they do NOT have the proper key blank for my RX350 in the USA. The mech. key blank changed around early 2013. Lexus USA does not carry the new cc key blanks....they mentioned that Canada customers get cc key FOBs with their RX's.

With a VIN number only, can a Canadian Lexus dealer cut me a mech. key for the cc key FOB? If so, any contact information (English speaking) would be most appreciated.
TYIA
Old 07-29-13, 04:41 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
I am in USA. I want a mechanical key cut for a cc key FOB. I can buy the cc FOB here in USA, but they do NOT have the proper key blank for my RX350 in the USA. The mech. key blank changed around early 2013. Lexus USA does not carry the new cc key blanks....they mentioned that Canada customers get cc key FOBs with their RX's.

With a VIN number only, can a Canadian Lexus dealer cut me a mech. key for the cc key FOB? If so, any contact information (English speaking) would be most appreciated.
TYIA
Not sure how it is in the US but most dealerships will not cut a key without proof of ownership and valid photo I.D. and not to mention the owner must be present. This was simple procedure for Honda, Nissan when I got keys cut from them. I can't imagine its any different for Lexus. The local dealership in Brampton, Ontario is on my way home I'll pop in tonight and see what they have to say so you know for sure what your up against. Keep you posted.
Old 07-29-13, 06:02 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm pretty sure we can do it up here as long as your provide ID and proof of ownership.

Got Sewell to cut my keys for me last year.
Old 07-29-13, 12:45 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

thx much for your help... allow me to clarify, any help would be greatly appreciated...

I got the cc key FOB programmed by dealer in Calif where I purchased ar, I am sure they will vouch to any Canada dealer if required. cc FOB works fine... however, they too have NO mech. key that will fit in the cc fob (they call a blade)... as around the start of 13, Lexus seems to have moved from a single sided blank, to a double sided blank, so both sides need to be cut. No big deal cutting both sides, IF THEY HAD THE DOUBLE SIDED BLANK BLADES, in the USA, there seems to be NO double sided blanks blades (for the cc FOBs)... my thought is, since Lexus Canada gives cc key FOBs with new RX purchases, I assume they too have moved to double sided blanks, if so, that might be my solution to get a double sided blade for my cc key fob. gosh, hope this is clearer, as this was an incredible R&D project.

and to show the massive confusion that I have experienced with Lexus... Lexus USA 800 numbers researched this thoroughly, they claim Lexus USA has NO cc fobs, this is a product only for Lexus Canada, so they have no access to the cc Fobs or the blades. Then, Lexus dealer tells me that is false, cause when you buy a new LX or LS, they give you cc FOBs with new car purchase. ONce again, left hand does not know what right hand is doing, a common theme I am experiencing with Lexus.

Anyway, if anyone can locate a dealer to buy a "double sided" blank blade, or a cut "double sided" blade, I would be grateful.

I LOVE this cc FOB.... why? Now, I have no reason to carry keys! House is all programmed with combination locks and finger print readers... I realize its not for everyone, but its surely simplified my life.... In addition, I never leave the house without my wallet, otherwise car won't start...and I never leave my wallet in the store by accident, as I can't open my car door, an immediate signal, my wallet is NOT in my possession. Extra safety measures I value, even though I only lost my wallet once in my life, I had a few close calls.
TYIA
Old 07-31-13, 09:31 AM
allicedout
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a response from my dealer. They said you would have to come in person with ID and ownership. They said they wouldn't do it any other way and that we should understand its done this way for our safety and protection.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-13, 12:34 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

thx for your efforts...
is it possible you have an email address for someone to contact?
All I need is the double sided blank, if the Canada dealer has them...my local Lexus dealer will cut it. PRoblem is, Lexus USA has no cc fob, double sided blanks. They only have single sided blanks (again, nicknamed "blades" when the blank goes into cc FOB, vs. reg. FOB) tyia