Canada For events in Canada.

Carbon Build-up Issues in Canada - Any Success w/ Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 06:49 PM
7nc2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealer and lexus canada with no luck. THey say that US and Canada lexus are built differently which is a load of BS. I highly doubt they have two assembly lines. Anyways I have been having this problem for 2 years (06 lexus) and they say if they cannot duplicate the situation it will not be fixed. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 12-22-12, 04:33 AM
NYC10467
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2009 IS250. something didnt feel right when i picked it up but the saleman said it was normal for direct injection. Finally i just couldnt take it anymore and call a number given to me by lexus finance department. i told them i had issues with my dealer and they were not addessing

got a call the next day, took the car in... they had it since 12/6 "waiting on a part" i've been driving a loaner since
Old 01-04-13, 01:49 AM
elvisNGO
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 and I got a misfire on ignition that caused my check engine light / check VSC notice to come on. I had a friend who linked me to a Lexus mechanic at the Erin Park dealership and was able to diagnose my car for free.

He acknowledged that there is an issue with our car that requires basically cleaning/flushing of the cylinders/valves and for things to be rebuilt in the engine. He told me you basically end up with a new engine.

He then cleared all my codes and said that if it happens again, and he guaranteed that it will, to bring it to my closest dealership to deal with it with the new TSB. He even mentioned the 9 year warranty. This was a few months ago, but he definitely knew about it.

Are there any updates from anybody regarding this?
Old 01-05-13, 08:07 AM
aett258
Driver School Candidate

Elvis, I am also waiting for any Lexus owners in Canada that had any resolution to this issue. So far all I see from other forums are that US Lexus owners are getting letters from Lexus regarding this issue and their engines are being fixed. Nothing in Canada yet. I am also burning excessive oil due to this latent piston ring default. I recently brought my car in for an oil change and have to bring in my car for an oil check after 1000 kilometers. When I bring it in and they verify the problem, I will see if they acknowledge the issue and fix it for free. I have a feeling from reading earlier post's that I will have to fight for it. BTW, I have a 2006 GS300 AWD.
Old 01-08-13, 09:22 PM
NYC10467
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Is 250 - 2009

Guys, it may sound more costly but i'm telling you... take your car to the dealer. They have my car since 12/6. i Saw it today as i went to return a loaner for another loaner at their request and my car is been taken apart. it is not just a simple carbon build up issue. These cars have problems with the DGI. THey just gave me a 2013 Lexus RX 350

Wondering if i should even go back to my IS or if i can after driving all of these better vehicles
Old 01-09-13, 12:02 AM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NYC10467 is right on. I dropped my vehicle off on the 12/6/2012 and is expecting to get it back on January 11, 2013. This is a big job. They had stripped my car completely. If you were to look into the engine bay, its empty. They even took the exhaust out. They said that after replacing the piston rings and valves, it still not fixed. So they called corporate and corporate gave an ok to do a replacement on a short engine block. He also mention that its like getting a new engine. The SA told me that the parts is coming from Japan so it will be awhile. I too, had to return a loaner vehicle for another because it was more than 30 days. I ended up with an RX 350 2013 fully loaded. Its so much comfortable compare to my IS. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-17-13, 09:32 AM
aett258
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am also from Canada. I brought my 2006 Lexus GS300 in about 1k miles ago complaining about burning oil. They put me on a 1k mile oil consumption test. Brought it in this morning. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I did not mention the US CSP or anything else. I will wait to see what they tell me 1k miles from now. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-21-13, 07:54 AM
aett258
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aett258
Hi, I am also from Canada. I brought my 2006 Lexus GS300 in about 1k miles ago complaining about burning oil. They put me on a 1k mile oil consumption test. Brought it in this morning. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I did not mention the US CSP or anything else. I will wait to see what they tell me 1k miles from now. I will keep you posted.
Found this on the IS forum which is similar to the GS issue regarding oil consumption and what the dealer does in regards to the test. From service bulletin L-SB-0124-12:
Perform an oil consumption test to determine the consumption rate.
1. Confirm the engine oil level is full.
2. Mark the oil dipstick to indicate the current level.
3. Replace the oil dipstick.
4. Mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap to prevent/indicate tampering during the test.
HINT
Use tape, sealer, cable ties, or equivalent to mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap.
5. Advise the customer to drive the vehicle normally for 1,200 miles and return for inspection

Diagnostic Procedure B (Continued)
6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.
Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?
• YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.
• NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is
1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed
Old 03-19-13, 03:40 PM
jujujexus
Driver School Candidate

I've been having rough idle and slight shaking when at a full stop and took it in to DVN Lexus. They charged me a diagnostic fee and stated they can't replicate the problem.

I haven't had any misfire codes. I spoke to the tech and he stated that they won't perform any service unless they get some sort of misfire code. They brushed off my rough idle as "normal"

Also haven't received any CSP letter asides from spam from the dealership.
Old 04-24-13, 11:19 AM
elvisNGO
Driver School Candidate

Yeah unfortunately I think the only way we can get any dealership attention is if the misfire code stays on and you bring it in.

The other day I was driving and accelerated to pass a car on the highway and I immediately got a Check VSC alert along with the check engine light turning on. This was also accompanied by rough idling and loss of power (was at 4000rpm and only going 20km/h). However, as soon as I stopped the car and turned it back on, everything went back to normal.

I'm honestly hoping it happens again soon so I can just bring it in and have them deal with it.
Old 04-24-13, 10:02 PM
anaq110
Driver

Originally Posted by elvisNGO
Yeah unfortunately I think the only way we can get any dealership attention is if the misfire code stays on and you bring it in.

The other day I was driving and accelerated to pass a car on the highway and I immediately got a Check VSC alert along with the check engine light turning on. This was also accompanied by rough idling and loss of power (was at 4000rpm and only going 20km/h). However, as soon as I stopped the car and turned it back on, everything went back to normal.

I'm honestly hoping it happens again soon so I can just bring it in and have them deal with it.
That sounds exactly like what happened when my valve spring broke on my GS350. It was covered under the massive recall so I was in luck. You don't have to recreate the issue, the codes should be present for the dealership to review.

I originally took mines to a dealership in *ahem* Etobicoke area to have them F88K my car up even worse. After official compliant into Lexus Corp, I was lucky to get NorthWest Lexus to clean up other dealership mess. Talk to Kent at NW
Old 06-20-13, 01:59 PM
jtmoney21
Driver School Candidate

any updates? my power train warranty is up in July...
Old 07-25-13, 05:08 PM
Sfrt
Driver

I'd love to hear what response you end up receiving. Would also be interesting to collect some basic data from owners with similar issues. I've had this since buying my '08 IS250 CPO in 2010. My data:
Symptom: very rough idle at stop in cold weather only. Need to press extra hard on brake at stop or car may lurch forward.
Diagnostic Code: no codes present.
Attempted solutions: Aussie Auto cleaned throttle body (sea foam) but was in warm weather so can't tell if issue is resolved. He did say it would likely come back. Also installed catch can, again not sure how much this will help.

I do remember researching this and being confused/ticked that with all the documented service bulletins etc in the US for this, there's nothing here in Canada. To me, the rough idel at stop isn't only a mechanical issue, it's a safety issue. I basically put my car in neutral at a stop in the winter.

Thanks again for raising this, I hope we get somewhere.

Originally Posted by miLanIS250
I have sent Lexus Canada's Customer Service Department an e-mail to determine why the Carbon Build-Up CSP applies to 2006-10 Lexus IS250 models in the USA but not to its neighbours to the north. I understand that Lexus USA and Lexus Canada function independently, however, there are owners in Canada with the same issue(s) and I consider it unjust to cover owners in the USA and not those in Canada. Will report back if and when I get an answer. If there is no resolution within a week, I will touch base with their CSRs on the phone and hound them until I get an appropriate answer.

Last edited by Sfrt; 07-26-13 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-17-13, 11:38 AM
TJollimore
Driver School Candidate

Wink

The difference is that the US has laws pertaining to warranty repair obligations, as well as their 'lemon laws'. Canada does not, and warranty repairs are done on a 'goodwill' basis. We all know exactly how much goodwill companies have when it starts eating into their profit margins, so they work as hard as they can to shaft Canadians, while trying not to let them know it, of course.

I'm actually glad I stumbled into this thread. A used IS or GS would have been on my radar when I look at replacing my VW Passat in a year or so. Not any more...
Old 09-26-13, 08:27 AM
supags
Driver

I called DVP lexus and they said no recall for my 2006 gs300. I'm kind of pissed off

please let me know if there's anyway around this, someone from the shop did tell me about the recall before and told me to do the flush but if this is a recall from Lexus then they should be paying for this..

Quick Reply: Carbon Build-up Issues in Canada - Any Success w/ Lexus?