i'm baaack...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 11:29 AM
legomaniac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm baaack...

...to lurking again =P

i posted quite a few years ago and kinda drifted off and now am back again.

still have an 04 MSM IS300 (stock ) and traded the wife's car for...2011 IS350 AWD Smokey Granite Mica or whatever it's called, navi/moonroof - deal has told me they've sold a few but i haven't seen any on the streets (identifiable by the LED strip under the headlights, not aftermarket light what's become popular these days)

just got past the break-in period so just waiting for the snow to come and test out it's abilities =P my IS300 has been our winter vehicle since i've owned it so i have high hopes

cheers!
Zach
Old 12-31-10, 02:49 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Welcome back!

Good news that you got the new IS350 awd.
How did you manage in the snow with your IS300? Did you have a set of dedicated winter tires and maybe experience plays a role?

I am reluctant to drive my RWD in the snow just because of the many horrifying stories I've been told and it is better to drive a FWD or AWD car instead.
Old 12-31-10, 03:57 PM
legomaniac
Pole Position

2 things i'm absolutely convinced got me through the winters in my IS300:
- LSD - my IS300 has the LSD, this allows disabling of the TRAC and letting the mechanics do the work in getting out of a tough spot
- snow tires (i used nokkian WR which are a very snow biased "all weather" tire and only use them in the winter. reason i went with them is because we don't get a lot of snow here so you would burn through true snow tires pretty quickly, these have a slightly harder compound that hold up in dry weather)

the last 2-3 major snowfalls (basically since 06) in vancouver i drove my IS without worries. i can't say i have major snow driving experience, i would say more planning ahead and driving smart kept me safe. drive for the conditions, you can always exceed whatever equipment you have if you aren't smart.

i would say RWD requires a bit more thinking than the average driver might care to exercise but it is by no means dangerous. i feared all the AWD/FWD drivers out there running into me, sure they can get going, but can they stop any better? not if they aren't smart.

AWD/FWD "better", depends how you define "better" and i would take it in the context of "easier". AWD for obvious reasons, FWD because it simply has more traction due to engine being over the drive wheels. so AWD/FWD can 'cheat' on all seasons (even worse, worn all seasons) are less likely to get stuck and can get just as stuck if not on snow tires.

i think most people fail to recognize that "getting stuck" is an inconvenience and is far better than getting into an accident. accidents happen with movement, not lack of movement :P worn snow tires and AWD/FWD will definitely NOT help you stop.

blah blah blah, i tend to ramble hahaha

cheers!
Zach
Old 01-01-11, 08:54 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

is your IS300 manual or automatic??

having driven RWD for every single winter except 2, in my 11 years of driving, a set of decent winter tires definately helps, and ofcourse LSD, which i had in all but 1 of my RWD cars thru the winter.. which i only drove for one winter...

congrats on the IS350awd... i hear they're very capable handling cars in snow... with winter tires, ofcourse...
Old 01-01-11, 10:20 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Where did you pick up your IS350? I am still a fan of the GS series, but the IS is slowly starting to grow on me. Do you have any pictures?

@KI_GSE21 - It is all in your confident ability to drive in the conditions safety. I would rather turn off my assisted controls because I grew up without them and feel a heck of a lot more in control, then to rely on them. Even though they are there to help.
Old 01-04-11, 12:20 AM
legomaniac
Pole Position

narfy: my IS300 is auto

measured: long story short, richmond lexus on minoru blvd. both my IS were from them, IS300 used, IS350 new

haven't taken any pictures yet and now the car is kinda dirty, will get some up when i can

IS350 will stay stock i think, IS300 needs some mods since it's still stock
Old 01-05-11, 06:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
Where did you pick up your IS350? I am still a fan of the GS series, but the IS is slowly starting to grow on me. Do you have any pictures?

@KI_GSE21 - It is all in your confident ability to drive in the conditions safety. I would rather turn off my assisted controls because I grew up without them and feel a heck of a lot more in control, then to rely on them. Even though they are there to help.
we should set up a GS meet one day...
Old 01-10-11, 07:59 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

if only they came out with a 350 AWD 3 yrs ago =(. Tho I must say my 250 AWD is very grippy in the winter, and much easier to control in turns.