Canada For events in Canada.

Anyone with knowledge SC400 Oakville/Toronto/Mississauga?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 09:02 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with knowledge SC400 Oakville/Toronto/Mississauga?

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a sc400 and get started learning about this car and working on it because it interests me a lot and I have wanted one for a long time. I would like to go look at one in the Scarborough area, is there anyone who would be willing to come look at it with me if I make it worth your while? even better if you have a code scanner...
The car I am looking at has a problem with the tranny slipping, I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether it is the solenoids needing replacement, or the wrong fluid, or the transmission is poop.
If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it, I'd also get the opportunity to hang out on here and learn a lot. Please let me know!

Last edited by Addison; 09-22-09 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 10:56 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a '92 SC400 myself and live in Scarborough. I had a tough time finding a good condition SC400 in Toronto when looking for mine. When I first got mine, it felt like there was either a torque converter or a transmission vibration going from OD to 4th gear, light throttle around 70 km/h. After a flush with Toyota T-IV transmission fluid the problem has been gone for 2 years. Also, after the flush the transmission shifted noticeably better. There are known issues with the soleniods in the earlier SC's, so that my be the case as well. What is the year and kilometers on the one you're considering?

Shoot me a PM and if I have the time, I'd be glad to come check out the car you're looking at.
Old 09-22-09, 11:58 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is a 93 with about 200 000 km on it and the guy says the tranny slips. I havent gone to see it yet myself, I wanted to go with someone who knew more. I have heard of these cars going till 400 000 with originall tranny... If it needs a new tranny I wont be able to buy it, but if it doesnt I will be very happy if he thinks it does hehe..
Old 09-22-09, 04:12 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

tranny is VERY expensive, my advise is to take the car to a transmission shop n have them check it out for you......spend $100 now or $3000 later...your call
Old 09-24-09, 12:38 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agreed on teh tranny part and a shop looking at it as visually it will look fine.
I have a scanner but unless it has a code nothing will show, since it is obd1 you short pins and count flashes.
Old 09-24-09, 05:56 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skperformance
agreed on teh tranny part and a shop looking at it as visually it will look fine.
I have a scanner but unless it has a code nothing will show, since it is obd1 you short pins and count flashes.
I don't fully understand what you mean...I know that there is odb1 and odb2 right?-For Older and newer? You are saying your scanner won't work? Or are you saying that the way the tranny is messed up it might not throw a code?
Old 09-24-09, 05:58 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AshburnM3
tranny is VERY expensive, my advise is to take the car to a transmission shop n have them check it out for you......spend $100 now or $3000 later...your call
I know this is an option, I was just trying to avoid it some how. I don't want to pay to tow it there AND pay for them to check it out, I don't know if there are any shops close to the guys house if I maybe just throw some plates onto it and drive there...I'm from oakville/sauga area so I don't know scarborough very well or any good transmission places there for that matter.
Old 09-24-09, 07:57 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Addison
I know this is an option, I was just trying to avoid it some how. I don't want to pay to tow it there AND pay for them to check it out, I don't know if there are any shops close to the guys house if I maybe just throw some plates onto it and drive there...I'm from oakville/sauga area so I don't know scarborough very well or any good transmission places there for that matter.

wish you the best of luck and i hope SC coupe can help you with it
Old 09-25-09, 07:03 AM
goaliebill
Rookie

Hi:
I also live in Mississauga and own a '92 SC400, just about to break 400,000 km. You don't mention what your budget is, but there are several SC400s for sale on either Kijiji or Criag's List, but none currently on AutoTrader.ca.
I have replaced the # 2 solenoid in my transmission, at $ 300 plus labour, and agree with Sc coupe that the correct fluid helps a lot. I wouls also be happy to go with you nand look at one or more cars, but I'm not available on weekends.
Also, being a cheapass Scot, I have several excellent contacts in Mississauga who have worked on different aspects of my car, including timing belts and instruments.
My e-mail address is bill@toplineequipment.com
Bill
Old 10-11-09, 06:31 PM
lexxtasy
Driver

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a sc400 and get started learning about this car and working on it because it interests me a lot and I have wanted one for a long time. I would like to go look at one in the Scarborough area, is there anyone who would be willing to come look at it with me if I make it worth your while? even better if you have a code scanner...
The car I am looking at has a problem with the tranny slipping, I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether it is the solenoids needing replacement, or the wrong fluid, or the transmission is poop.
If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it, I'd also get the opportunity to hang out on here and learn a lot. Please let me know!
DId you end up getting the SC? or are you still looking
Old 04-02-12, 09:15 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, I thought the thread had died and missed the additional responses. I really appreciate all your help. I went to see about 10 different cars and all had something huge wrong with them. I test drove one and the steering wheel was slipping all over the place, scared the crap out of me when I was driving fast. Plus they wanted 6000 for that one. I am still looking, my budget is probably 2 to 3 k because I know I will also have to put in repairs and stuff into the car when I buy it.
Old 04-11-12, 09:46 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I though you would have been scared off by now! At least you're persistent.

I've noticed more SC's on kijiji lately. Check out the original-owner black '95 car; Needs a few things but was parked in a garage, has low-ish kilometres, and is priced right.
Old 04-16-12, 09:07 AM
Addison
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
I though you would have been scared off by now! At least you're persistent.

I've noticed more SC's on kijiji lately. Check out the original-owner black '95 car; Needs a few things but was parked in a garage, has low-ish kilometres, and is priced right.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Only prob - no ac. Is this a tough job to install?
Old 04-16-12, 09:41 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

no ac. Is this a tough job to install?
It is hard.....and expensive.