Canada For events in Canada.

Snow in northwest

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 10:23 AM
samster16
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow in northwest

How are you guys holding up in the snow? Still driving the lex to school/work?

I for one, regret coming to work this morning. Area where I live gets pretty icy and there are alot of up and downhills. I was doing about 15km/h and i couldnt stop my car.... my wheel smashed into the curb and the wheel is chipped.... Good thing it's just my stock 16s..... but still......

How's everyone doing in the snow?
Old 12-18-08, 12:37 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow sucks to hear that man. For me, like most others, I wasn't expecting snow to come so soon and and so hard. Now my car is just in the garage and I've decided to store it til spring. Now time to walk or share car with my bro

Did the car hit the curb hard? you should check the suspension parts
Old 12-18-08, 03:54 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so far so good, winterized the GS. was gonna keep it in the garage until this frost was over, but then my winter beater ,89 mazda 626 turbo, wouldnt start (tried everythign but bring out the shot gun and end her misery)

so the GS is back on the stock rims w/ the winter tires on, front lip is off so im not plowing the streets, and gave her a coat of wax just in case. Thought i finally solved the condensation problem in the headlights, but i was wrong. sigh, i give up!
Old 12-18-08, 06:42 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

^^^I gave up on teh condensation problems a while ago. Thats why I went with JDM yo...lol

Black ice is fun, as long as there is no one around you to do major damage. Also, Hills suck donkey *****...lol

I drift at 5mph with my LSD rear. But the traction on sucks. I turn it off. Its the same without the noisey clunking coming from the back. I had to put on my chains, so I can make it to work tomorrow. Well at least on time. 5am isnt good, when its freezing over nite
Old 12-18-08, 07:03 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Took the bus, as I barely got home yesterday. The OEM Dunlop SP Sport 2050 that come with the GS 350 are useless in the snow (there wasn't even black ice back then).
Old 12-18-08, 07:17 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it was kinda freaky driving home last saturday...there wasn't any snow then, but the road was white from all of the frost
Old 12-18-08, 09:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

samster, sorry to hear your mishap.

as for me, my GS is stored until spring too (summer tires on). now using my ody minivan to get around town...sucks i tell you!
Old 12-18-08, 10:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm carying on as normal. It has to be pretty bad for me to not go out.

... and yes, it's all in the IS.
Old 12-19-08, 01:19 AM
samster16
Driver

So since I was planning to work from home cuz my area would freeze and be icy as hell overnight, I made a very brave choice to drive back from Seattle back home to Vancouver earlier today in the afternoon.

Very very dumb decision by me (but I didn't wanna be stuck home for 3 days down there). First of all, they barely plowed I5 and the roads were extremely icy. Secondly, people were all driving SUVs/trucks or sedans with chains, so they were still going relatively fast. I had a stretch around Arlington (exit 206) where it was literally a big piece of ice and I was kind of sliding just doing 30 km/h. I finally just put on my emergency flashers and let people pass me as I cruise by. I have to say the DOT in WA doesn't do a good job of plowing or salting the roads. After I crossed the border and got back onto highway 99, it was like night and day. I instantly went from doing avg. 45 km/h up to 90km/h.

It took me 5.5 hours to get from Seattle back into Richmond!!! Oh god.... but at least I made it back safe and sound, which is something I never complain about.....
Old 12-19-08, 10:35 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Stock rims+winter tires+AWD and I feel way more condident then my SUV.
Old 12-19-08, 02:25 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

all i know is im having way more fun driving the GS in the snow, than the highlander.

highlander has better take off, but as for turns and straight out control, i find the GS is way more fun...

touch the brakes, then hit the gas, and u learn to spin in the same spot =P
Old 12-19-08, 04:39 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
all i know is im having way more fun driving the GS in the snow, than the highlander.

highlander has better take off, but as for turns and straight out control, i find the GS is way more fun...

touch the brakes, then hit the gas, and u learn to spin in the same spot =P
Is your GS AWD? Mine is and it is better in every way on the snow. The only minus is ground clearance, so deep snow driving goes to highlander. BTW, I have higlander too.
Old 12-19-08, 08:13 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

its a 99, they never came in AWD.

the highlander is basically a jacked up awd camry, aka non lux rx300. we've had her since 01 and man, she goes EVERYWHERE...

the 99 GS is on the stock 16s with bridgestone blizzak ws-50 winter tires.

the highlander is on stock 16s w/ nokian WR winter tires rated for all season (7 year warranty!)

Originally Posted by vladbph
Is your GS AWD? Mine is and it is better in every way on the snow. The only minus is ground clearance, so deep snow driving goes to highlander. BTW, I have higlander too.
Old 12-19-08, 09:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Nokian WR calls theirs "All Weather" tires

as for me

im still driving my 2GS (RWD) with all season tires just fine
a lot of it is just taking it slow and have good throttle control and understanding of car physics

what i am more worried about is the salt left on my car
Old 12-19-08, 11:17 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UberNoob
Nokian WR calls theirs "All Weather" tires

as for me

im still driving my 2GS (RWD) with all season tires just fine
a lot of it is just taking it slow and have good throttle control and understanding of car physics

what i am more worried about is the salt left on my car
Understanding physics doesnt work all the time... especialy when you live up hill. Last winter I stopped going up because of this *** m-van. My highlander just started to slide sideway like a cow on ice and hit the curve. High center of gravity did the "trick", no AWD nor tires helped.

Quick Reply: Snow in northwest