Canada For events in Canada.

Front License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 11:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front License Plate Holder

do you guys know how the front licence plate holder is attached to the bumper? i know that all new lexus in the showroom have this attached to the front bumper. the reason i ask is that i think it's hideous, and i'm thinking about removing it to make the front bumper look cleaner (plus, if i'm gonna clear bra the bumper, the license plate has to be removed?).

however i recall reading somewhere that the front license plate holder is actually screwed into the bumper...is this true? anyone know?
Old 10-19-08, 01:55 AM
mazuka
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a plastic frame that holds your plate in the front that is drilled on to your bumper. When I decided to attach my plate to the tow-hook area and took off the plastic mounting, I discovered there were not 2, but 4 holes drilled in to my bumper to hold that stupid thing in place
I bought some plugs off of aerotect to fill 'em up since I didn't feel like dropping cash on having them filled and the whole bumper repainted (provided you want a perfect match with the paint), so i'd suggest you think carefully about what you want to do

oh and as stkiss informed me, those plugs are available at lordco for a fraction of the price I paid at aerotect (though you'll have to paint them yourself)
Old 10-19-08, 12:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

yes it is screwed on
bumperplugs.com also sells bumperplugs
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

pre-painted
Old 10-19-08, 12:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

fawk!!!! thx for the intel mazuka. i'm so pissed now! Who's the retard that thought of doing that?!?! there's almost no point of relocating the license plate now unless i want a custom paint job. might as well NOT do clear bra and hope to get rock chips just so i can have an excuse to fill the holes and repainted.
Old 10-19-08, 12:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yes it is screwed on
bumperplugs.com also sells bumperplugs
http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

pre-painted
yeah, thx for the link....but it's just not the same!
Old 10-19-08, 04:46 PM
mazuka
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
fawk!!!! thx for the intel mazuka. i'm so pissed now! Who's the retard that thought of doing that?!?! there's almost no point of relocating the license plate now unless i want a custom paint job. might as well NOT do clear bra and hope to get rock chips just so i can have an excuse to fill the holes and repainted.
Yeah tell me about it man. I actually knew beforehand it was screwed into the bumper BUT, i had no clue it had to be done with four freakin screws (I had actually only ordered 2 plugs so when i did the job and discovered 4, to my dismay I had to drive around for a week with two gaping holes in my bumper and it looked awful). if your car is brand new though, just remember through time the paint's going to fade ever so slightly so when/if you do eventually get around to painting that front bumper it may not necessarily go flush with everything else (but of course that'd probably take a long *** time lol)
Old 10-19-08, 09:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by mazuka
Yeah tell me about it man. I actually knew beforehand it was screwed into the bumper BUT, i had no clue it had to be done with four freakin screws (I had actually only ordered 2 plugs so when i did the job and discovered 4, to my dismay I had to drive around for a week with two gaping holes in my bumper and it looked awful). if your car is brand new though, just remember through time the paint's going to fade ever so slightly so when/if you do eventually get around to painting that front bumper it may not necessarily go flush with everything else (but of course that'd probably take a long *** time lol)
mazuka, i'd like to meet up with you one day...i want to see in person the plugs you have installed on your bumper. i might go that way too if i like what i see...
Old 10-19-08, 11:35 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

You can go to home depot / rona they carry plastic plug that can be use as the bumperplugs, I'm using those as well fit nicely you have to paint the plug yourself though. Or you can go to T&T supermarket, "borrow" some of their plugs from their rack. LOL yes they also can be use for the bumperplug.
Old 10-20-08, 10:45 AM
mazuka
Driver

mazuka, i'd like to meet up with you one day...i want to see in person the plugs you have installed on your bumper. i might go that way too if i like what i see...
Sure thing man. you going to be at that big meet with the washington people? hit me up a pm if not or if you're dying to see what they did to my bumper lol
Honestly the plugs aren't the most attractive thing in the world. If they were solely the two holes I was anticipating, I had seen enough pictures online that I thought meh, it doesn't look too bad at all. The four however? a little strange to be honest lol (being that my car is black, from afar you don't even notice them mind you, up close however, they're noticeable obviously)
Old 10-20-08, 10:49 AM
mazuka
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr.JPG
You can go to home depot / rona they carry plastic plug that can be use as the bumperplugs, I'm using those as well fit nicely you have to paint the plug yourself though. Or you can go to T&T supermarket, "borrow" some of their plugs from their rack. LOL yes they also can be use for the bumperplug.
dang. I forgot about T&T. Could've done my groceries AND fill in those nasty holes! haha
Old 10-20-08, 10:49 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by mazuka
Sure thing man. you going to be at that big meet with the washington people? hit me up a pm if not or if you're dying to see what they did to my bumper lol
Honestly the plugs aren't the most attractive thing in the world. If they were solely the two holes I was anticipating, I had seen enough pictures online that I thought meh, it doesn't look too bad at all. The four however? a little strange to be honest lol (being that my car is black, from afar you don't even notice them mind you, up close however, they're noticeable obviously)
nope, i'm not going to the big meet in washington, busy with personal stuff to do. but i'm meeting up with faymester tomorrow (tues) at bcit around 5 pm (to be confirmed). if you're not busy, you can pop over.
Old 10-20-08, 11:15 AM
mazuka
Driver

nope, i'm not going to the big meet in washington, busy with personal stuff to do. but i'm meeting up with faymester tomorrow (tues) at bcit around 5 pm (to be confirmed). if you're not busy, you can pop over.
5pm tmrw? damn. theoretically i'm in class at harbour center till 5:20 but if I skip I'll text fayme and swing by for a bit
Old 10-20-08, 06:54 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Just on a side note. I think you can buy a brand new bumper that has no holes in it.
When I bought my 1st gen IS, I didnt have a license plate on the front. But if you look closely, it had dimples on where to drill. I got rid of that bumper anad got me a JDM bumper instead. Dont like the side markers

Plugs work good. HomeDepot FTW. You can also find a screw cover for the awful site of screws
Old 10-20-08, 09:42 PM
MLee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Just on a side note. I think you can buy a brand new bumper that has no holes in it.
When I bought my 1st gen IS, I didnt have a license plate on the front. But if you look closely, it had dimples on where to drill. I got rid of that bumper anad got me a JDM bumper instead. Dont like the side markers

Plugs work good. HomeDepot FTW. You can also find a screw cover for the awful site of screws
Hey, where did you get the JDM bumper from? I was going for the JDM bumper + lip kit route.. but changed to carson-tuned bumper in the end
Old 10-21-08, 07:00 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes when I ordered my IS I told them not to mount the front plate holder to avoid hole being drilled in the bumper.

Yo avoid tickets for not displaying my plate I zip tied my factory bracket the the lower mesh part mesh part and bolted the plate down there.

It looks funny hanging below the bumper but it's better then holes in there.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Holder