Canada For events in Canada.

Dealer oil change cost in Canada too high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 07:52 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
Oil price goes up, everything else follows.
Time to do your own oil change. On an ES, it is fairly simple. No need to jack up the vehicle.
Have you not been following oil prices?
http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crud...-history-chart
There you go, now you can see how the oil prices have dropped over the past couple of years. Now what excuse will you use?
Old 06-28-15, 06:51 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
Have you not been following oil prices?
http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crud...-history-chart
There you go, now you can see how the oil prices have dropped over the past couple of years. Now what excuse will you use?
For large corporations, oil and other commodities are bought on a contract (i.e. XX amount for YY time). Just because oil price goes up or down today on the market, it doesn't you will see price rise or drop instantly at the gas pump.

Food and commodity prices in general go up either due to supply/demand or loss of purchasing power. $1 40 years ago will not get you the same thing $1 will get you now.
Old 06-28-15, 07:20 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

assuming you are doing just an lube oil filter change aka (LOF), the book time is from 0.5hrs to 0.8hrs.

factor that x the labour rate of a dealership = labour cost for your oil change.

cost of oil, depends on the type of oil, but anywhere from 8 dollars a liter to 20 dollars a liter for specialty oils. multiply that by the number of liters needed.

misc costs such as o rings, seals, drain plugs, washers, gaskets

add that all together, and thats your dealership price.

independent shops may not calculate so diligently, and most shop rates are lower than the dealership.

i assume lexus is around 135-150 now per hour, german car companies are 140-250 now.
Old 06-29-15, 10:05 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali m
They most likey used synthetic..

I work at a mr. lube... most lexus's dont really need to use synthetic oil..
Change the oil yourself usless you got a IS300 those filter are a pain!
I know this is an OLD post, but it speaks to why you stay away from those quick oil change places. Some are better than others, but in general, they operate on the assumption that if it's good enough for most, it must be good enough for all.

For those 2nd and 3rd Gen IS250 owners, you need to be meticulous on your oil change interval and the type of oil and fuel you use. There are enough threads on here about "carbon build up" to warn you of the consequences. Oil and fuel are the only way to get continuous cleaning agents in there. Once in a while, a good seafoam treatment can help. Keep up with the clean synthetic oil through a new filter and the fuel with the most detergents (ie premium from Petro, Esso, Shell. etc). It should go a long way to delay the inevitable inherent in the design of any direct injected engine.
Old 06-29-15, 08:30 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neosakai
Personally I dont trust the dealership. No master technician is doing oil changes on your car. The new trainees are likely to be the guys working on your car while you are sitting in a nice room with wifi and coffee you have no idea whats happening to your car.

Even for independent shops the person doing your oil changes are the newer and less experienced guys but the difference is you are standing near your car (assuming the shop is a not-as-clean and small shop) so atleast you are watching the process. And it is a plus if your mechanic is someone that has been taking care of you for years and someone you trust. At the dealership, its like a fast food restaurant. People come and go so you are having a different guy working on your car everytime

and plus stealerships are expensive..

Thats just my personal thought, Im not asking anyone to agree but if it gets people to give second thoughts to dealerships then I'll be glad my two cents are of use to someone.
(and im sure there are guys here who works at a dealership , please dont take anything I said to heart lol its just my view on things. I could be wrong.)

I agree with your viewpoint. I thought all Lexus dealers provide high end service until I took my car to a high volume dealer to work on my car. Got my car back with scratches and I was not impressed by the mannerism of the services advisor.

I cringe every time I have to take my car for service because of my bad experience. Especially, when I pay a lot to drive a Lexus vehicle.
Old 01-06-18, 08:47 AM
Lexusiskia
Driver School Candidate

Default How much does it cost now for RX350?

Recently got an 2014 RX350 from a dealership in GTA.
Does anyone know how much it costs now to change oil for RX350 at dealership?

Also like to know their labour rate.
Thx.
Old 01-07-18, 07:39 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusiskia
Recently got an 2014 RX350 from a dealership in GTA.
Does anyone know how much it costs now to change oil for RX350 at dealership?

Also like to know their labour rate.
Thx.
At my dealership with Toyota 0W20 about ca$100 including all taxes.
Labour is around $125hr
Old 01-07-18, 08:31 AM
Lexusiskia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
At my dealership with Toyota 0W20 about ca$100 including all taxes.
Labour is around $125hr
Thanks Cocal for the info.
My colleague also goes to a Toyota dealer for his RX350.
I might explore that option as well.
Old 01-07-18, 10:04 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusiskia
Thanks Cocal for the info.
My colleague also goes to a Toyota dealer for his RX350.
I might explore that option as well.
I do go to a Lexus Dealer, but the oil is Toyota even for Lexus. Some Toyota dealers will refuse to work on Lexus vehicles if still under warranty, some will work on them so you may have to shop around. The labour rate was for a Lexus dealer
Old 01-08-18, 05:56 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Oil change under $100 is acceptable at the dealership!!
Old 03-10-18, 10:55 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dappy
I pay around $90 for oil change by my stealership in Toronto. I guess it's normal for Lexus to charge us this rate.
I honestly think $90 dollar for the oil change at the dealership is reasonable for our lexus considering just buying the oil and filter will run you around $70 plus haha (based on my own car). The rest of the stealership pricing is robbery !
The following users liked this post:
R_Rated (04-11-22)
Old 03-15-18, 10:49 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The cost is too much for me personally because I know how to do it and think it's very easy, but for a luxury make, I think the price is par for the course, and if you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the maintenance.

My local dealer charges around $135 all in. It costs me about $65 to get an OEM oil cleaner element kit and synthetic oil, so I do think it's fair because they have to make money too just like we expect to get paid for work we do in our jobs. What I take exception to are the costs for the maintenance services. I got quoted almost $900 to replace the front brakes and rotors and service the rear brakes. That is over the top, so I did it all myself too, and will just go to the dealer for complicated services like ECU diagnoses, brake fluid changes, alignments or diff fluid changes. I'm disappointed in mine because I paid for services, and I have an issue with my Nav system, but they wouldn't warranty it, so I'm never going back to them again for work nor recommending them.

If anyone local needs something simple done like the cabin filter, wiper blades, engine air filter, I can show you how to do it, it's very easy.
Old 03-17-18, 10:10 PM
A2BLexus
Rookie

$100 ish....they clean my car inside and out...top up my windshield washer fluid and check tire pressure. Especially good in winter. No complains here.
Old 04-03-20, 11:59 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Periodically, Canadian Tire and Costco have sales on synthetic oil which you can buy on the cheap... and throw in the filters while you're at it too.

There's tons of videos on youtube and even the service manuals tell you how to do basic things like change the oil. I do mine myself because I like the experience. It's also a good way to get to know your car and the only fool-proof way to be sure of what oil is getting put into your engine.
Old 08-20-21, 06:28 AM
ModernMade
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also curious, did some come factory with all this carbon fiber? I've never seen one with so much carbon fiber. Armrest, rear of seat and all over the dash. Here are a few pics of it's interior.

Quick Reply: Dealer oil change cost in Canada too high?