story time - impounded lex

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 07:33 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default story time - impounded lex

Saturday night: (aka, yesterday)

I dropped my mum off at her friends house and a friend of mine and I were going downtown, fun for all being the general theme of the evening. Turned right off mum's friend's street and found myself behind a marked cop car, not a big deal, I stopped at the stop sign & I wasn't speeding (yet) because I'd just turned the corner. The cop car pulls over to the side of the street and I'm thinking *ok, random but what ever* so I pass him going all of 5km/hr and he puts his lights on. My friend and I look at each other and he says, 'wft' and I say, 'I know, I didn't even do anything this time, what the hell.'

I've rolled my windows down and the cop comes up to my car:
me: why am I pulled over?
cop: I don't feel like telling you
me: uhh, ookaay ...
cop: liscense and registration
me: (getting lic & reg out) I'd kind of like to know why I'm pulled over
cop: (taking lic & reg) you know your liscense is about to expire
me: yes (as he's already walking away)

Cop goes back into his car and my friend and I are talking about how completely random and illogical this is. I called my mum and told her what was going on and she goes 'what do you mean? like right around the corner?' I'm like 'yea, and I don't even know why' (now really, I usually know exactly what I did, but this time there was no reason, buddy just felt like pulling me over). I see the cop coming back so I hang up.

cop: you failed to pass Inspection-B
me: what's 'inspection-b'?
cop: I don't know, but you should have papers and a window decal
me: uhh ... (yea, I also have no idea what Inspection-B is at this point, I'm thinking it's for like a work van or something, not 4-door sedan) it's not my car, and I have no idea what you're talking about
cop: well in November you were supposed to have your vehicle inspected **light-bulb moment for me, but I don't show that I know what he's talking about since he clearly also doesn't know anything about it** (remember my story from November where I was wrongly pulled over going up to SFU and the cop slapped me with any tickets he could think of? ... yea, that)
me: inspected for what?
cop: I don't know
me: well I JUST dropped my mum off, and this is her car, so I don't know what .... (//cuts me off//)
cop: well I'm going to have your car impounded
me: (seeing my mum come walking up behind me in my rear view) there's my mum now
cop: what? where? uuuhhhh .... (he walks back to meet her)
mum: (being head in the distance) what's going on here?

I can see my mum and the cop talking in the rear view but couldn't hear more than the occasional word because cops engine was too loud (i'm so glad my tax dollars pay for them to have their engine idling for excessive amounts of time). I can also see my mum interrogating the cop, body positioning tells me he's clearly on the defensive and my friend commented on this as well. My mum talked the cop for a while then eventually came and got into the back of my car.

mum: well, they're impounding your car
me: what!?!?! why?
mum: because of the windows and the outstanding citation
me: but he can't explain the outstanding citation because there's nothing on it (mum knows about the previous SFU instance)
mum: I know, but that's what this guy is doing, and he's not changing his mind
me: this is stupid, he can't tell me why he pulled me over, he can't tell me what I've done wrong in the past OR now
mum: yes, but this guy is an *** and he has decided that he is having your car towed to an impound lot until we comply with this new citation
me: well, tell him it has to be towed on a flat deck (yes I know it doesn't acutally need one, but there is less chance of damage to my car if it's on a deck as opposed to traditional towing; also, there are not a whole lot of flat decks around and I was kind of hoping extra inconveniance for the cop might mean something less drastic for me, ie: 24hr notice or something instead of impoundment)
mum: ok (gets out)

I start cleaning out my car, CDs, insurrance and other papers, singlasses, etc. Unfortuantely my saying I needed a flat deck didn't deterr the cop and he came over to finally give me back my lic & reg.

cop: the car will be towed to an impound lot down by the river and I'm voiding your insurrance
mum: how would you like us to all get home?
me: I have to go to work tomorrow, how am I supposed to do that?
cop: *shrugs*
mum: well are you going to give us a ride?
cop: nope, maybe the tow company will give you a ride
mum: we live in burnaby
cop: oh, then I don't know. I'll just be in my car there ... ... (walks away)

Mum, myself and my friend all hang out in my car untill the towing guy comes. The tow guy arrives and the cop comes out of his car.

**note this part because it will be a problem later**
cop: I'm going to need your plates
mum: why?
cop: because I'm voiding your insurrance
mum: what difference does it make if the car is being towed anyhow? We clearly can't drive it
cop: doesn't matter

Cop takes my plates (which we think it stupid, but we also think the entire excercise is stupid) and the tow guy takes my car which I am unhappy about but at this point there's nothing I can do. We all walked back to mums friends house and my friend gave his brother a call to come and get us. My friend and I go to his house and get his car and make a b-line for the liquor store; because of course, like any good 21 year old, I am going to drink it off! ... and oh boy did I ever. Eventually I pollished off that bottle and my friend and I went out to meet a couple of our other friends at an Earls where everytime I got angry I ordered an additional double. After leaving the Earls we called my mum who was still at her friends house to find out if she was going to want a ride from us and yea, she did, So my friend and I go get her. I'm nicely hammered at this point, and for the fun of it, so is my mum! drunkin fun for all apparently.

Sunday: (aka today) - yea, it's a long story

Mum and I go to North Van in her car to see about getting mine back, since we didn't know where this "yard by the river" is so that was challenge one. (well, challenge one was actually functioning I guess). We found the inspection place; it's a Canadian Tire, wouldn't it have been conveniant if the cop had said this last night? instead of us guessing this morning? we don't know where the lot is, but apparently it's accross the street.

mum: we're supposed to have a car inspected today (hands cdn tire guy the slip)
cdn tire guy: ok, where's the car?
mum: in some lot accross the street, apparently you guys do this all the time?
cdn tire guy: oh, yea we do
mum: ok so what happens now?
cdn tire guy: well, we can look at it tomorrow morning (he means monday)
me & mum: no
mum: I have to go to work, she has to go to class, this is happening today
cdn tire guy: well um (mum and I are looking at him like we might eat his head if he says no) ok let me call the yard (he calls the yard) ok so you just need to go over there and pay your bill
mum: well where is the yard?
cdn tire guy: oh it's rite across the street
mum: which street? (remember, we already drove around and looked for this lot and we didn't find it)
cdn tire guy: it's rite there *points*
mum: (annoyed) uh, kay

We leave and drive in the general direction he pointed and we found it; the reason we didn't find it the first time was because this yard is full of rusty old heaps, my little IS300 was the most expencive thing in that yard, so I felt sick all over again. Through annoyances and stupidity the car is moved to the Canadian Tire and I asked to speak with the guy who's going to remove my tint, because they're not letting the car go anywhere until I have the tint removed I guess I have no choice. Last thing I wanted was to have Canadian Tire playing with my tint and taking my entire car appart to inspect it; but what choice did I have? yea, none. The entire process will take about 2hrs, so mum and I went for lunch.

We came back and my car is ready, now we need insurrance because the cop took our plates and voided our insurrance, remember that part? Mum walked to the insurrance place next door, but it was closed, so we drive over to another insurrance place that's open, but these people are idiots and don't know what to do. The guy didn't understand why we didn't have the plates. Mum decided maybe we would just drive to the RCMP building and get the plates back, and maybe while she was at it she could give the cop **** too. The RCMP building is closed but there happened to be a cop in the lobby so he let us in. Mum explained what had happened and presented all our documentation showing the car was 'road worthy' and explained we just needed the plates back. New cop re-explained what the citation from last night wanted us to do.

mum: I know that, and we've done that now (shows inspection papers) but we can't drive the car with out the plates and the insurrance places tell us we need those plates
new cop: well I can't help you with that, that's your insurrance broker
mum: but you have the plates
new cop: no, those plates have been forwarded to ICBC, you will have to get the plates back from them
mum: what would you like me to do for a car in the mean time?
new cop: *shrugs* (really pisses me off when they're blatently screwing you and they just shrug)

We left and thought we'd see if we could convince an autoplan to sell us new plates and just to a plate transfer on the insurrance. Apparently they need to call ICBC (which happens to be closed on Sundays) to verify something that no one seems to know about. The answer continuously was 'no, we need to call ICBC to veryify your insurrance'.

Mum and I spent all day in North Van and my car is still sitting at the Canadian Tire rite now with no insurrance.
Old 05-27-07, 08:02 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a story! That cop was a real *****.
Old 05-27-07, 11:41 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW.................
Now that sucks.
Old 05-28-07, 12:43 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, BC cops are a bunch of ******.
Old 05-28-07, 08:10 AM
legomaniac
Pole Position

damn... sorry to hear that... not to add to your worries, do you need to let canadian tire know that the car is yours and what situation it's in? otherwise a car in a public lot w/o insurance is another disaster waiting to happen *knock on wood* it could be towed again b/c it shouldn't be there (esp'y w/o insurance), etc....
Old 05-28-07, 09:31 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

been there, done that (twice)

at least you were given the option of a flatbed... i wasn't even given that choice.
Old 05-28-07, 10:07 AM
btorok
Pole Position

***** Fay, so sorry to hear. What a major PITA. And I thought California cops were ******. I hope you get everything straightened out soon.
Old 05-28-07, 11:31 AM
Nodnarb
Driver School Candidate

Ouch. That sucks.

Knowing ICBC you'll have more trouble with them than you did with detective douchebag.

Hopefully your car will be out for the June meet!
Old 05-28-07, 02:09 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

haha... what a good read... sorry, but it's funny... it happened to my corolla waay back in teh day... and i didn't even have to do anythign for the car to pass VI...

hope ur car gets back to you undamaged...
Old 05-28-07, 09:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Monday: (aka today, uh, again i guess)

I got my car back, but not with out incedent.

When I arrived I went out to my car (which they stored with the windows down, so now it's super dirty inside and I will spend all day tomorrow cleaning it) I *tried* to turn my car on so I could roll up the window and make sure they did an acceptable job removing all the tint. They had left my xenons on which drained the battery.

me: why is my battery dead?
guy: oh, that didn't sound like the battery
me: (having had a dead battery before, oh yes it did) yes it is, you guys left my xenons on
guy: oh no we sould never do that
me: then why is my battery dead?
guy: uh, (walks away)

So I'm angry at this point; I mean really, how hard is it to turn the lights off? While the guy is wandering around figuring out that I'm actually correct and that yea they did kill my battery I decided to put my plates on. While doing this I noticed three (3) little dents just in front of my left rear wheel well. Keeping in mind I just super cleaned, waxed and buffed my car followed by a very well lit photo shoot I know that these are knew. The guy comes back with a jump pack.

guy: ok, we can try and jump it (implying that this wouldn't work)
me: mmkay

Hey look at that, the jump worked, this means I was correct. At this point I bring up the dents.

me: also, there are 3 dents just here
guy: (looking) uuhhh, oh, I see (sounding somewhat skeptical)
me: now I just did a total detail of my car we couple weeks ago, and I know these are new, so what happens now
guy: well you'll have to talk to the service manager, but he's not in again until Wednesday, but I'll leave a note for him
me: do you have a card with your name on it or something so I can confirm that you've seen these?
guy: yes, I'll go grab you one (now that guy knows I know what I'm talking about with my car he is more helpful and more accomodating)

The service manager is the "cdn tire guy" from the Sunday section of the story. Now that my car is on I inspect the windows and find that they did a somewhat shotty job removing the tint so I tell guy and he finishes the job nicely. I left but noticed more unremoved tint when I was out in the sun light so I of course went back right away and guy removed the rest of the tint and we chatted about the uselessness of cops in general.

I drove home rather spritedly and fast because I was angry about being forced to join the 'ugly window club'. I got home and my mum helped me clean the oil residue they used to remove the tint off my window. Then I went to the gym to further work off my frusterations, while at the gym I have accepted that I am now part of the ugly window club and that instead of putting the tint back on I will do under the hood mods in the interest of go-fast.

On the way home from the gym I heard this high pitched buzzing when the revs were up and I noticed the sound got louder as the revs got higher. I turned my sterio off and the sound went away, so I turned my sterio on but with the volume all the way down. Yup, that's the cause; what ever electrical they inspected has now messed up my sterio, add that to the list of thing's I'll be *****ing about on Wednesday to cdn tire guy.

All in all, this has been a complete waste of my time and money and completely useless. Next time I get pulled over I think I'll be a complete ***** about it, who knows, maybe I can visit the over-night jail.
Old 05-28-07, 09:34 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Default responces

Originally Posted by legomaniac
damn... sorry to hear that... not to add to your worries, do you need to let canadian tire know that the car is yours and what situation it's in? otherwise a car in a public lot w/o insurance is another disaster waiting to happen *knock on wood* it could be towed again b/c it shouldn't be there (esp'y w/o insurance), etc....
Canadian Tire stored my car in their service bay because I asked them too. Also, apparently according to ICBC the cop was not supposed to have taken my plates and at no point in time was my insurrance actually void.

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
been there, done that (twice)

at least you were given the option of a flatbed... i wasn't even given that choice.
I wasn't given the option either, I just said the car needed one

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Ouch. That sucks.

Knowing ICBC you'll have more trouble with them than you did with detective douchebag.

Hopefully your car will be out for the June meet!
Car will be at June meet. My mum called our insurrance agent this morning and told her to sort out ICBC stupidness so that all anyone had to do was go pick up the new plates and sign the policy.

Originally Posted by narfy
haha... what a good read... sorry, but it's funny... it happened to my corolla waay back in teh day... and i didn't even have to do anythign for the car to pass VI...

hope ur car gets back to you undamaged...
boo you for not having to make any changes to your car

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes reguarding my poor car and everyones agreeance that officer douchebag was in fact a douchebag.
Old 05-29-07, 08:38 AM
SOHKis
Pole Position

sounds like the Canadian police can be worse than those here in Fairfax!

damn that sucks man, glad to hear you got everything straightened out!
Old 05-29-07, 09:36 AM
narfy
Lead Lap

it's very zone specific...

north shore (north and west van) RCMP are a bunch of ******...
vancouver police are a bunch of dinks
ridge meadows RCMP are a bunch of hicks
richmond and surrey RCMP are okay... best in my books (yeah, weird eh?)

Originally Posted by Faymester
boo you for not having to make any changes to your car
when my car got towed from north van, i told the cop to use MY tow company, and tow it to the VI shop of MY choice...

the guy who VI'd my car (now has no licence) looked over my car and said it's not too low, all the bolts are tight and everything's safe, and even put a DB meter 1M from my exhaust and bounced it off the rev limiter... couldn't find any reason why it'd have been pulled over... haha
Old 05-29-07, 10:38 AM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

sucker haha :-P
Old 05-29-07, 10:38 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

That is 1 messed up story...and I though Toronto cops were a$$holes, guess I was wrong.

Quick Reply: story time - impounded lex